Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you could afford to live in downtown Raleigh would you?
Yes, if I could afford it I would live in a historic neighborhood in downtown Raleigh 27 35.06%
Yes, if I could afford it I would live in one of the new condos going up downtown 9 11.69%
No, I need to be closer to my job which is outside of downtown 8 10.39%
No, I need a larger modern house 10 12.99%
No, I need a bigger yard for my pets and children 13 16.88%
No, I need a house with a garage 9 11.69%
No, but I would consider living Inside The Beltline (ITB) 11 14.29%
Maybe, but I need to know more about what downtown life has to offer 2 2.60%
It never entered my mind to consider living downtown 4 5.19%
Other (please explain) 10 12.99%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:13 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times

Advertisements

We all have our reasons for where we choose to settle in the Triangle, and I am not judging anybody on their choices. But sometimes when I travel around the Triangle taking pictures of some of the pricier homes in the suburbs I think to myself "Boy if I had the $450K it took to buy this house located out here in ____ I would rather buy a cool historic house or brand new condo for the same price in downtown Raleigh. But then I consider that maybe the person who lives there in the suburban location has different needs, wants, or limitations. Maybe they need to be closer to RTP or Durham or Cary or Wake Forest ect for their job. Maybe they have kids and pets and need a bit larger yard than offered in most downtown neighborhoods. Maybe they really wanted a garage which is rare to find downtown. Or maybe the idea of living downtown never crossed their minds in the first place? Anyway....I just thought it would be interesting to see the results of a poll about this here.

So, if you could afford to live in downtown Raleigh would you? If not, what are your reasons?

Thanks for taking the time to take part in the poll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 08:23 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
NRG,

I would in a heartbeat.
And I need a garage, but that just means being a little selective on the property.

I often find some downtown neighborhoods quieter than suburbia.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:14 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
Nope, I have no desire to live downtown. I'm not sure what the fuss is all about! I showed a condo in The Hudson. Wow...look out the window and see the courthouse! Open the window and get that chick fil a smell! I can't tell you what my real thoughts were on the CONCRETE floor! Nope, not interested in downtown Raleigh. Now give me downtown Boston, where I can overlook the water and I'll consider it!

I love my suburbs!

Vicki

Old 10-31-2007, 09:15 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,691,229 times
Smile chose "other"

I enjoy visiting downtown. But to live there is not my lifestyle. I like the stars and silence at night and my wildlife

Old 10-31-2007, 11:42 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
I chose "other" because I actually do live downtown already. That wasn't an option on the survey.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:08 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
I voted 'Other' because we can afford it and would move to downtown Raleigh if it weren't for the commute to our jobs in RTP and northern Durham. I've lived downtown before and loved it, so I can only imagine how much better it would be now, almost 10 years later, after so much improvement has occurred down there.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:14 AM

709 posts, read 935,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Nope, I have no desire to live downtown. I'm not sure what the fuss is all about! I showed a condo in The Hudson. Wow...look out the window and see the courthouse! Open the window and get that chick fil a smell! I can't tell you what my real thoughts were on the CONCRETE floor! Nope, not interested in downtown Raleigh. Now give me downtown Boston, where I can overlook the water and I'll consider it!

I love my suburbs!

Vicki

That IS the real issue of downtown Raleigh what you just said Give me downtown Boston, where I can overlook the water......

This place is so over hyped.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:08 AM

693 posts, read 2,761,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
That IS the real issue of downtown Raleigh what you just said Give me downtown Boston, where I can overlook the water......

Exactly. I lived in downtown Boston for many years and loved it. Walking distance to the subway, charles river and the esplanade and the trail along with it, and the gorgeous skyline, cool coffee shops and great restaurants, the North End, Commons, theaters, movie theaters, and the list goes on and on. Maybe one day Raleigh downtown will be like this, who knows, but the reality is that is far from that at this point. I guess if I really wanted to live (again) in an urban environment I'd move to a larger city, not Raleigh.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:15 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post

Feel free to leave at any time since you seem to be so disgusted with this place.

I voted Other b/c I never again want a historic house (done that 2X, no fun), I don't want a condo either. I wouldn't mind a small new house with a garage and a small yard - we saw some downtown but I forget where now.

Downtown/city living would be great. It's wonderful to feel the energy, have so much nearby, and deal with the issues and concerns of an urban area vs a suburban area. Yes, that is weird, but we're not into keeping up with the Joneses, or thinking everything about us and our needs is unique and we have to have the best of everything - we just want to enjoy life.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:46 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,658,326 times
I picked No, but I would consider living Inside The Beltline (ITB). As a former MA resident for 36 years I need to speak up about this: Lets not forget the bad things about Boston: terrible traffic and congestion, bitter cold winters, awful roads and dirty. Raleigh should never be compared to Boston. The North End, The Freedom Trail and Fenway Park cannot be recreated. Nor should it be! Raleigh should be appreciated for what it is and what it's true potential can be. Raleigh is so much more relaxed than Boston. It's much greener and cleaner. It has it's own idenity. It's like the biggest little city. And if it's not exciting enough for you drive over to some of the other cities in the area: Durham, Chapel Hill And if you need to see water drive two hours to Wilmington. The way some people complain about being bored in Raleigh you would think they lived in a corn field in the middle of Nebraska!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary