Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 04:07 PM

330 posts, read 1,977,065 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just have a few questions because we're considering a move to NC. I'm from LI (East Meadow - Nassau county) and my husband and I are considering a possible move to Cary/Apex area. Just wondering, but since we are from NY and do have accents (ha) - we're a bit concerned that maybe we would have a problem and our kids blending in with the locals? Also, how are the schools?

Are there any areas we should avoid due to crime? A lot of people think NY has high crime, but being from East Meadow, the crime is very low. How does that compare to Cary/Apex area and maybe other areas nearby? I have read a lot of good things about those areas in Money Magazine but it's hard to tell if it's all accurate.

Do you get hit often with hurricanes? How is the employment? growing?

okay, I think that's it for now. Thanks for your time in answering. I appreciate it very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 04:37 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Quote:
I have read a lot of good things about those areas in Money Magazine but it's hard to tell if it's all accurate.
Oh if only you were the only person who's opinion on this area was based on money magazine! In Cary you are just as likely to find a person with a long island accent as a southern accent. Apex is the better of the two towns if you are looking for affordability and (for now) somewhat of a small town feel. Apex High School seems to have a dark cloud cast over it and in a heartbreaking statistic; has lost more students than any school in wake county so far this year. The student body president was just killed in a freak accident this weekend and is the 5th current or former student form Apex killed in 2006. Very sad. My son is a senior at Apex High and says that the mood there has been devestating and changed the school dramaticaly. There are no Apex or Cary schools in reality though; it's all part of the Wake County school system. Cary is seen by many as the stuck up overpriced town in this area; and that's largely true. Money Magazine has been rating Cary as one of the best places in America to live for years now; but in all reallity, Cary's lifestyle is really no different from any other towns around it.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:37 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
So, if you are moving to cary (or apex for that matter) my guess is most of your neighbors will be from new jersey, new york, somewhere in mass, etc). The accents won't astonish anyone!!!!! Lots of transplants here, the kids are used to it. My daughter only asked me a question about accents when a new neighbor (and now friend) moved in who is from england......now she thought that was an accent!

Job possibilities good, crime low, no real bad areas to speak of, people friendly (but don't expect them to roll out the red carpet when you come into town, just expect common curtosy and friendliness) we all try and return our shopping carts to the correct location (cart return) when we are done shopping, so unless you want mean looks, return the cart!, we spend quite a bit of time with family, but there are a lot of people here (the majority) who do not have family around because they have relocated, we love sweet tea (there is no other kind) and our barbeque sandwich is vinegar based, not the red sauce (we do not like the red sauce), we would prefer you like those things too, we call a barbeque a "cook out", as in "would you like to come over and cook out", yes we will welcome all newcomers to the area!!!!

Honestly, I have lived in the area for over 35 years, I am a realtor and have helped lots of people relocate...........so, some love it, some don't. It is all a matter of taste.

Let me know if you have questions!

Leigh

Old 09-12-2006, 06:08 PM

431 posts, read 1,669,117 times
Try looking into Waxhaw. We are from Babylon LI and we also looked at Cary. We liked Charlotte much better. Cant exactly say what was so much better, but it felt more like home to us.

You will get more property for your dollar in Charlotte. Bigger city. Less taxes. NFL Football team : )....even tho still root for the Jets.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:11 PM

431 posts, read 1,669,117 times
...oh yeah and the schools are excellent (Weddington). A bit crowded,but excellent!

Old 09-13-2006, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,122 times
Hello all! Let me jump in here as a newbie today.We are also from Long Island, lived in both Nassau & Suffolk.Weve been in Douglasville Ga for 11 yrs,and hate it so much,just cant tell ya enough.its changed and not for the better,especially the schools.Most of my family are scattered in NC,and I love the country with ability to get to urban if needed.We need to sell our house here,and fiond one there somewhere,near Asheville I think.Mom is in Weaverville.we are in our mid 40's and have three teens.My husband was cut from his systmes analyst job after a takeover,so we are free for a few months to explore and make this happen.We are not dramatic people.Just want to live in peace like most others.want to wake up and feel happy to greet the day.Havent felt like that since I can recall.Im very happy to have found this forum,and hope to get to know you all,and wish everyone here a great success at their endeavors. vikki

Old 09-13-2006, 10:53 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki1960@bellsouth.net View Post
Hello all! Let me jump in here as a newbie today.We are also from Long Island, lived in both Nassau & Suffolk.Weve been in Douglasville Ga for 11 yrs,and hate it so much,just cant tell ya enough.its changed and not for the better,especially the schools.Most of my family are scattered in NC,and I love the country with ability to get to urban if needed.We need to sell our house here,and fiond one there somewhere,near Asheville I think.Mom is in Weaverville.we are in our mid 40's and have three teens.My husband was cut from his systmes analyst job after a takeover,so we are free for a few months to explore and make this happen.We are not dramatic people.Just want to live in peace like most others.want to wake up and feel happy to greet the day.Havent felt like that since I can recall.Im very happy to have found this forum,and hope to get to know you all,and wish everyone here a great success at their endeavors. vikki

Welcome Vikki! You will learn a lot about NC if you keep reading this forum. Good luck selling and moving. I like Asheville but I understand it can be a little expensive. If that is a concern you might try checking out Hendersonville.

Old 09-16-2006, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,649 times
I will like to relocate to NC, by summer of 2007.. I'm a native NY person, who's not only lived there all my life, was has had the same apartment for 30 yrs.. So relocating is by far, the scariest thing I've ever thought about.. Any honest, candid information anyone has to offer will be a great help.. Thanks in advance for sharing..

Old 09-16-2006, 07:06 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Just curious; why does your location say california?

Old 09-16-2006, 07:45 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
... we love sweet tea (there is no other kind) and our barbeque sandwich is vinegar based, not the red sauce (we do not like the red sauce), we would prefer you like those things too...
Leigh
I am loving the BBQ but the sweet tea... ugh...
it is so... thick, like regular coke... for diet soda people that stuff is a no go!!!!!
Luckily it turns out that they have unsweetened tea all over too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary