Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 01:35 PM
VTP VTP started this thread

200 posts, read 957,703 times

Advertisements

I had to jump into this forum and ask the obvious question: What do you North Carolinans really think about all of these Long Islanders moving down there? I myself am fortunate to live in a part of Long Island that is fairly quiet and less offensive than the rest, and I am not moving to NC. I know so many who are, though, it's astounding. I have a good friend moving there in 2 weeks (to Wake County). I spent the better part of last year looking for a larger house in my neighborhood, and just about every time we asked the realtor why the sellers were selling, we were told they were moving to North Carolina. I can't count how many times I have been in waiting rooms, on line at stores, etc., where people were talking about their impending move to North Carolina. Must be a nice place! Do you think it can stay that way, given such a tremendous influx of Northerners? I am curious. Thanks for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 06:12 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,616 times
I'm a fellow long islander who is planning on moving to NC shortly. The reasons are economics mostly (unless you are fairly wealthy, its a race to nowhere on LI these days). We also are tired of snow and ice in winter and looking forward to being down south. We also wanted a more rural type of area and LI has been saturated by new homes and traffic where we are in suffolk county. Its just no longer feasible to sell and buy again on LI. Real Estate Taxes, Electric, Cable and Oil bills are all killers. We have a much better shot at retiring in NC with a paid off home, lower taxes and nicer weather

Of course, this doesnt really answer your question, but we believe the area in NC we are moving to (Clayton) could stay that way at least for another 10 - 20 years (or at least where we have bought is pretty well set and we like the development and its spacing).

Old 08-15-2007, 06:34 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
I'm a native and I have zero problem with where anyone is from! I do worry sometimes about the continued growth rate in the area and the impact it's having on home prices, school and infrastructure, but I certainly don't have any personal issue with the people who choose to move here. I would too if I were in many of your shoes!

Old 08-15-2007, 06:42 PM

445 posts, read 1,859,714 times
I think we are all concerned about the growth in the area and the lack of the state and the local government to fund infrastructure and ensuring infrastructure is in place before more subdivisions/shopping centers are approved for construction. I think as long as people who move here try to adjust to the lifestyle instead of trying to make the Triangle another Long Island, Chicago, LA, etc. most natives and long time residents don't mind the influx. It's when people start complaining about why things are done a certain way down here and not like their use-to city that perturbs at least me. If you look on this forum you will see many complaining about everything from handymen to grocery stores to quality of home construction and the list goes on. To which my response is "if it was so great where you were before, why did you move down here?" Also taxes are low down here and you won't have the government services that many have come to expect. However many newcomers will say a major reason for moving here are the low taxes - sorry but you can't have it both ways.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:24 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
I remember my friend Joey's sign on his work truck in FL after hearing countless complaints about the way things are done in FL:

"If you love NY, take I-95 North".

I grew up on Long Island and am now a happy Bubba for 18 years!

Old 08-15-2007, 08:31 PM
VTP VTP started this thread

200 posts, read 957,703 times
Thanks for the responses. It does sound like the combination of low taxes and attractive surroundings is hard to beat. I just wonder if it can stay like that for the indefinite future, with the great influx of people. Change is really hard for people. I don't think I would like it much if my neighborhood was suddenly infiltrated by a whole bunch of people, even if they were well-behaved. I think one of the most compelling things I read on the posts was that in NC, you have a better shot at retiring in some kind of decent style (owning your own home, etc.) I do think so many people here on LI are in debt up to their eyebrows -- no equity in the houses, etc. My friend sold her house for 700K, and is buying a brand new one in NC for 500K +, very big, with pool, etc. No way could you touch something like that here, not for that money. Here, if you want to be in a desirable neighborhood, 500K buys you a very small house in need of work. Anyway, I would think "y'all" would be concerned that the onslaught of the masses would bring with it things like congestion and pollution and over-development, along with the fear that you would lose what you love most about the place. Yes? No?

Old 08-15-2007, 08:55 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
One thing you have to remember is that the area is so spread out and sprawled, most people don't feel as if their neighborhood has been "infiltrated" by anyone. It's a huge area, not a neighborhood and I think most welcome growth, but are frustrated with the state of the schools in Wake County and traffic as a result of uncontrolled growth.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:09 PM

91 posts, read 309,164 times
I also think "word of mouth" has spread the good news about NC, I have lots of clients that move here because their kids did..and then the cousins come..and then their families..and then the aunts & uncles.. you get the picture! I have a best friend here from LI she says she teaches me her fast northern ways..and I teach her my slow southern ways ,we have been friends now for over 14 years, she still complains that "In NY we had this" but I also have a good friend that moved her from Charlotte and she says "In Charlotte.. we had..." ..like someone else said be happy or go back where you came from...North or South!

Old 08-16-2007, 12:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Also keep in mind that North Carolina is a Large state not everyone is moving to one location mainly Charlotte area and Raliegh area Wilmington area and Asheville area come in third and fourth Greensboro, Winston, High Point have not been as heavily impacted by surge of newcomers as the other areas have.

This is the state censue projected growth map for 2010 to 2020
Only 14 out of 100 counties have higher than average projected growth

http://demog.state.nc.us/demog/gif/prog32.gif (broken link) (broken link)
http://demog.state.nc.us/demog/gif/growdef4.gif (broken link)

Old 08-16-2007, 05:05 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,036,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTP View Post
I had to jump into this forum and ask the obvious question: What do you North Carolinans really think about all of these Long Islanders moving down there? I myself am fortunate to live in a part of Long Island that is fairly quiet and less offensive than the rest, and I am not moving to NC. I know so many who are, though, it's astounding. I have a good friend moving there in 2 weeks (to Wake County). I spent the better part of last year looking for a larger house in my neighborhood, and just about every time we asked the realtor why the sellers were selling, we were told they were moving to North Carolina. I can't count how many times I have been in waiting rooms, on line at stores, etc., where people were talking about their impending move to North Carolina. Must be a nice place! Do you think it can stay that way, given such a tremendous influx of Northerners? I am curious. Thanks for your thoughts.
I am a native of the area, basically (moved here when I was three) and it has been amazing to watch what has happened with the area. Honestly, it is a little odd to me when people are SHOCKED when I say I grew up here. I have, in recent months, met more people who are raleigh natives, and I like that!!!! I think the times that I bristle a little is when people complain about the area, complain that it is "slow", people are slow, drivers are slow, service is slow. I want to say, really, it is an emergency situation that you go through the target line at warp speed, come on, everyone else is waiting just fine!

So, that is my major complaint about people moving here in droves. before you move you should know, the pace is slower, it is hot sticky and humid in the summer but mild in the winter, we probably don't have the best italian food but we have very good barbeque (the way we like it, with vinegar - no red sauce).

Anyhow, I welcome people, but hopefully they will come wanting to learn about our quirks!

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary