Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:13 PM

17 posts, read 54,473 times

Advertisements

Which areas are better for a Jewish family (conservative) who are thinking about moving to North Carolina. We've looked at homes in Cary (and the Preston area), and North Raleigh. From what I've read on this site, Cary doesn't seem to be especially Jewish. Is it true that there are no kosher butchers or kosher delis in either Cary or Raleigh? Which area of Cary or North Raleigh are good? We looked in the Bedford area of Raleigh as well. Opinions? Also are there any bicycle trails? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 04:51 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
There are Jewish families all over the Triangle but there is no one specific area with a very heavy concentration. I think North Hills (Raleigh) probably has the most. There are synagogues (Orthodox, Conservative, Reformed and even a Chabad House) in Raleigh. There are also synagogues in both Cary and Durham as well as a Jewish Day School in Raleigh. It is true that there is no Kosher Deli - heard there used to be but it closed. You can buy Lox at Whole foods or Harris Teeter. There is a decent place to get bagels though.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:20 PM

718 posts, read 2,973,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
There are Jewish families all over the Triangle but there is no one specific area with a very heavy concentration. I think North Hills (Raleigh) probably has the most. There are synagogues (Orthodox, Conservative, Reformed and even a Chabad House) in Raleigh. There are also synagogues in both Cary and Durham as well as a Jewish Day School in Raleigh. It is true that there is no Kosher Deli - heard there used to be but it closed. You can buy Lox at Whole foods or Harris Teeter. There is a decent place to get bagels though.
That is pretty much what I would say.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:55 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
It is true that there is no Kosher Deli - heard there used to be but it closed.
Are you thinking of the one in southern Durham? The store's website says they're going to have an on-line shop instead. It's a shame they couldn't keep the store open, though.
Sabra Kosher Durham NC Israeli Food Store and Market

Old 07-30-2008, 06:15 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Are you thinking of the one in southern Durham? The store's website says they're going to have an on-line shop instead. It's a shame they couldn't keep the store open, though.
Sabra Kosher Durham NC Israeli Food Store and Market
No, I didn't know of this one. I had heard there used to be one in Raleigh but is longer there. This looks like a good link! As always, thanks to Mrs. Steele, wiser than her years!

Old 07-31-2008, 11:26 AM

17 posts, read 54,473 times
Default thanks for reply

thank to you all who replied. Where is this good bagel store? Do you know anything about the Preston area in Cary? I've pretty much decided not to look any further in Cary because it seems that North Raleigh has a higher concentration of Jewish population. Is there a Trader Joe's there?

Old 07-31-2008, 12:02 PM

113 posts, read 436,661 times
North Ridge has historically been a neighborhood with a high Jewish concentration. I believe it was a Jewish family in North Ridge that owned the Deli, although I don't know why it closed.

There is a Trader Joe's on the way just south of the beltline at Wake Forest Road, which is a "straight shot" from North Ridge and parts further north.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:20 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
NY Bagel on Falls has bialys & knishes.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:20 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
There are currently only 2 Trader Joe's in the Triangle - one in Cary & the other in Chapel Hill. However, a new one will open in Raleigh in 2009.
http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...19/daily9.html

Old 07-31-2008, 12:37 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,466 times
I will respectfully offer up the following opinion-it comes from my background growing up in Scarsdale, NY and being quite familiar with the type of Jewish culture/commerce you currently have on Long Island. My wife and I are also quite close with a Jewish couple in their early 50s living in West Cary who are recent transplants from the Hartford, CT area, and we have talked at length about the absence of a real jewish community here.

I would agree that sections of North Raleigh will probably be better choices than Cary for you, but having said that I'm not sure you will find what you may be looking for in the Triangle. There is no anti-Jewish sentiment that I am aware of, but for reasons I can't quite figure out there really isn't any area here that compares even remotely with Westchester/Rockland/Long Island in terms of an active Jewish community/identity. I am not aware of any true Kosher deli or restaurant of note-I have heard of a couple that don't exist any longer, though.

The Triangle is certainly one of the more progressive and tolerant areas of the South, but it remains a predominately Christian environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary