Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2006, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,813 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I have been living in Austin, TX since 2000. I need to move to Raleigh as i got a job there. Can someone please answer me the following questions

1. What is the cost of living in Raleigh? OK / Expensive / Very Expensive
2. How many percentage is the state tax for income? Texas does not have a state tax. I guess 8 to 9% in NC. Is it right?
3. How low temperature go low in peak winter in Raleigh? I hardly seen winter in Austin. I guess between 30 to 40F. Any thoughts?
4. How about the crime rate for Raleigh?
5. How good is Raleigh when compared to Austin, TX? I know austin is one of the top 10 places to live in US in 2003.

I would appreciate if someone answer my questions.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 08:22 PM

37 posts, read 109,939 times
Mannar,
I too am relocating to Raleigh from Austin within the next 10-12 days,also because of employment.I was in Raleigh 2-3 weeks ago and I absolutely fell in love with it.
I have done extensive research and I have spoken to many locals as well as many people here in Austin.Rave reviews.I will be living in North Raleigh .
PM me and I give you my # if you would like to touch basis and/or trade info.
Good Luck!

Old 09-12-2006, 10:56 PM

333 posts, read 1,201,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannar View Post
Hi.

I have been living in Austin, TX since 2000. I need to move to Raleigh as i got a job there. Can someone please answer me the following questions

1. What is the cost of living in Raleigh? OK / Expensive / Very Expensive
2. How many percentage is the state tax for income? Texas does not have a state tax. I guess 8 to 9% in NC. Is it right?
3. How low temperature go low in peak winter in Raleigh? I hardly seen winter in Austin. I guess between 30 to 40F. Any thoughts?
4. How about the crime rate for Raleigh?
5. How good is Raleigh when compared to Austin, TX? I know austin is one of the top 10 places to live in US in 2003.

I would appreciate if someone answer my questions.

Thanks in advance.
Both cities are very highly rated in MOST national surveys.

I was considering Austin and aside from the (too) hot weather (for me) in the summers it would be a great candidate to relocate to.

From an outsider to both cities that have researched both cities quite a bit
1) Raleigh area is generally more expensive - everything in texas seems far cheaper. Texas is very cheap nationwide (housing) - Raleigh is cheap relative to northern cities (big cities) but not cheap compared to Texas.
3) This is easily found online - go to any weather.com or yahoo weather or even here on city-data.com and pull up the city of Raleigh and you can find all types of weather info. Looks like the worst of winter has highs in the upper 40s/low 50s
4) For the size of the city, Raleigh has very low crime... again data is found on city-data.com website (this website has a lot of info, not just a forum)
5) This is a very broad question, how "good" is it? Depends on what factors. It is more lush aesthetically (when I look at pictures of the 2 places) than Austin. It is closer to the mountains than Austin (not sure how far Austin is from the Gulf) but both places you can get to the ocean for the weekend. Austin has a lot more hip and bigger downtown with more young professionals, Raleigh seems more for "families" (hopefully more of a mix in the future). Education in both lags the best areas of the north, but Raleigh is above average in NC (didnt get that far to research Austin education) Austin is more of a "high tech" city and a bit less diverse in economy than Raleigh, but has been booming past few years, whereas Raleigh has been growing strongly (albeit not at rate of Austin). Both have college towns in them. Again, Austin is bigger, more of a downtown, urban feel, bigger amount of clubs/restaurants all that - Raleigh is more of a family type of feel to it, with smaller (and multiple downtowns) Raleigh, Durham and even a smaller Chapel Hill 40 minutes away. Both are gaining a lot of population as people flee expensive housing in the north and following jobs to these areas.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:27 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
NC Personal Income Tax

Depending upon your filing status and your taxable income, the North Carolina income tax rate ranges from 6 to 8.25 percent.

Average Low for Raleigh-Durham

DEC 32.6F
JAN 29.6F
FEB 31.9F
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary