Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2012, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,421 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I am relocating for work from Jacksonville, FL to work at UNC healthcare but I decided to live in Durham. I am trying to find a realtor(I don't who is good and who is bad) that deals with rentals to help me but I am just getting overwhelmed by everything.

I am so overwhelmed with trying to find a place in Durham to live I can't think straight. I have looked at various threads here and some have helped but mostly I'm still lost. I will be in the Durham area between 01/30/12-02/04/12. I plan on visiting the west village apts, golden belt, davis park. I know about trinity park, burch avenue( I like the area), 9th street, brightleaf and I am trying to look at place there too. I know I can't afford anything at American tobacco, station nine, Baldwin lofts or 500 N ave. I can't tell you how many times I have read a post by Bull city rising. I just honestly need some one who can show me places around downtown.

So here is my criteria if there is anyone one who can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

I want to be able to live near the downtown area preferably walkable if not a couple minutes by car if need be. I want to be closer to more mom and pop businesses if can ie restaurants, bookstores, music scene.(basically hipster) I need at least 1000 sq. ft. It can be a loft, apt, townhouse, or single family. I am coming from a 1440 sq ft townhome. I can afford up $1150.

Sorry this post is so long but any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 01:41 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Thanks for the kind shout-out! (And sorry the blog is on hiatus -- will start posting again once Mom's estate is a little more full-fledged.)

I am not sure whether realtors deal with rental placements around here or not, I honestly have never thought of that. I will send you a DM with the name of two realty agencies I highly recommend. Perhaps they would work on a consultation basis/hourly pay for that kind of service? You'd have to ask them to check.

Davis Park has some good deals right now owing to the state of the economy, however, it is definitely NOT walkable as it's in the midst of Research Triangle Park, and there is no nightlife, dining, stores, etc. in easy walking distance. And those that are in hard walking distance are all chains.

I think all the other places you have named would be great for accessing restaurants on foot, etc. Golden Belt is at downtown's easternmost edge and is furthest from the largest number of restaurants, but, you also have the Bull City Connector bus and can walk/bike to things.

How will you be commuting to UNC? If you are planning to take the Triangle Transit bus, I would suggest checking out their route map to see what makes sense. Durham Station downtown is very close to West Village, Trinity Park and the Burch Ave. neighborhood.

Apple Realty is a property management firm that handles a number of residential rentals in Durham. They have a very, very good reputation among near-downtown neighborhoods for being a responsible management company that makes sure issues are addressed. The Old West Durham neighborhood association endorses them for folks looking for rentals. Right now I don't see anything on their web site that looks like a perfect match, however, they might have ideas that would match your arrival date.

Good luck, and look for DM.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:23 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I don't know many Realtors that work with rentals. I know there are a few rentals on MLS.

If the property management company that Bull City Rising doesn't work out, do a google search for "property management" in the area you are looking (Durham, for example).

Best of luck!

Vicki

Old 01-29-2012, 03:50 PM

915 posts, read 2,382,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I don't know many Realtors that work with rentals. I know there are a few rentals on MLS.

If the property management company that Bull City Rising doesn't work out, do a google search for "property management" in the area you are looking (Durham, for example).

Best of luck!

Vicki
When I first moved here in 2007, my significant other found someone who only did rentals. She worked out of Raleigh, and I don't even remember her name, but at least one person in the area does it.

FWIW, I think it's hard to show rentals from different companies, because you need to work out the payment arrangement with a lot of different owners/managers.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:27 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
1. search craigslist. I have found that most rentals are on there, except some single property owners. Not all rentals, even by agencies, are on MLS though they're getting better about it.
2. Most Realtors don't handle rentals per se, as the compensation for our time is very low. If you plan on buying down the road, you should have an easier time finding a Realtor.
3. I wouldn't get too caught up in identifying the precisely correct property NOW. Many years ago, I moved around frequently for work, and the beauty of renting is picking up and changing locales every year if I chose. Also, there's simply not a lot of rentals in that price range - 1 available, 4 others rented in the last 5 months.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:57 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
It doesn't hurt a realtor to open up a rental for someone and show it. Right you don't get much from a rental but you sure can make some awesome friends and a potential buyer one day. You might even get your name passed along :-) You are right about not knowing many though, which is silly in my opinion. Everyone needs somewhere to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary