Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 10:30 AM

6 posts, read 10,336 times

Advertisements

hello, i know that this topic has been covered but i still have a few questions! my family will be relocating to raleigh at the end of march. we want to rent for a while to make sure the fit is for us.

1. will i have trouble enrolling my 6 yr old in kindergarten since its the middle of the school year? he is in a traditional school year school now

2. i found a home for rent in the weslyn subdivision of raleigh, any thoughts on this area?

3. i grew up in cleveland ohio, not the safest area at all. but after i had children moved to a suburb and would like a nice quiet neighborhood and school for my kids. any suggestions would be great.

with all the scams on the internet we are planning to come and find a home in person in feb just need a little direction on where to look. we are a family of 5 and my adult twin sisters are moving with us as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 11:10 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
What area of Raleigh will you be working? That neighborhood is at the edge of Raleigh and could make for a long commute depending...

Old 01-30-2012, 12:53 PM

8 posts, read 16,908 times
We just moved last week from northeast Ohio as well and are loving it! We had no trouble with the school enrollment process. As we were told, they are quite familiar with students relocating at all times of the year and from traditional programs into year-long programs.

Good luck - we are so new here that I can't answer your other questions but if I can help with anything else about the schools, let me know.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:46 PM

i am still looking for employment. im a hair stylist and am good at what i do. i dont think it will be hard to find employment. so where ever i live i will look for a job hopefully close to there. before anyone asks why would you move before you find a job, the answer is because we have saved for this move and are able to live for a while without jobs. i just dont know what area to stay away from. i am not trying to relocate and move to an area like the one i grew up in!!! i want more for my children. so any suggestions? i know cary is a so called good area but i kind of want to be in raleigh but in a area that is a community where the kids can play and enjoy life!!!

Old 01-30-2012, 06:34 PM

924 posts, read 2,103,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chonsey01 View Post
i am still looking for employment. im a hair stylist and am good at what i do. i dont think it will be hard to find employment. so where ever i live i will look for a job hopefully close to there. before anyone asks why would you move before you find a job, the answer is because we have saved for this move and are able to live for a while without jobs. i just dont know what area to stay away from. i am not trying to relocate and move to an area like the one i grew up in!!! i want more for my children. so any suggestions? i know cary is a so called good area but i kind of want to be in raleigh but in a area that is a community where the kids can play and enjoy life!!!
chonsey01, welcome (soon) to Raleigh!

I'm not from Cleveland, but we had family there when I was growing up, so I've spent a fair amount of time in the Cleveland area. And I now live in Raleigh. As far as looking for where to live in the Raleigh area, I think you'll find things here a lot more loose and relaxed than in Cleveland. For one thing, you'll quickly notice that Raleigh is far less segregated, racially, socioeconomically, and otherwise than Cleveland is. As you know, typically in the Cleveland area, there are fairly rigid patterns whereby the white folks live over here, the black folks live over there, and the rich people are over there, and the poor people are over there, etc. Raleigh is a lot smaller, and also a lot more mixed-up, so very few places around Raleigh are all-white or all-black, and even the rich people and the poor people don't live all that far away from one other. And unlike Cleveland, there are few if any places in Raleigh "to stay away from" altogether. Raleigh has some somewhat rough areas, which some locals refer to as "bad neighborhoods," but they're very small, and the worst areas in Raleigh aren't even in the same category as the tough neighborhoods in Cleveland. There are several places in Cleveland where I and most people simply wouldn't want to live or raise children if you have a choice, but that's not really the case in Raleigh, or at least much less so. There are very few places in Raleigh where I would hesitate to live, personally. So, I don't think you need to worry too much about picking the wrong place. Most of the sketchiest places around Raleigh are some of the low-rent, run-down apartment complexes around town, so it might be wise to avoid them, at least sight-unseen. But something like what you're talking about doing, renting a house in a decent subdivision like Weslyn, makes sense and should turn out well. Obviously, like you said, you won't want to rent a place strictly based on what you find on the internet, so you should definitely check it out carefully and ask lots of questions when you're here in February. But it sounds like you're on the right track.

Incidentally, I don't know a lot about Weslyn, but I actually did some work at a house there a number of years ago (I'm a landscape contractor). It's a very, very small little subdivision, but it seemed fine—nice but ordinary. The people I worked for there were older folks, but very nice. If you're getting a good price on a rental there, it could be an excellent value, but of course do your due diligence before you sign anything. Weslyn is in the northeastern part of Raleigh, which is kind of an interesting part of town. Northeastern Raleigh tends to be particularly diverse, both racially/ethnically and socioeconomically, and it's mostly not fancy, but nice, decent neighborhoods. I really like the northeastern part of Raleigh, personally, and I live not too far from there myself. It's certainly a terrifically covenient location. A neighborhood like Weslyn is quite easily accessible to downtown Raleigh, as well as Triangle Town Center (one of the biggest shopping malls in the area), lots of other retail and commercial development, and also to the I-440 Beltline, the I-540 outer loop, US 1/Capital Boulevard and US 64/New Bern Avenue, which are all major arterial thoroughfares in the region. Since you're not set yet on where you'd be working, that seems like a pretty good place to be. And the nice thing about renting at first is that if you end up not liking it for whatever reason, you can pack up and move somewhere else relatively easily as soon as your lease is up.

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by tompope; 01-30-2012 at 08:00 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 09:08 PM

thanks for all of the information. i am glad to hear that Raleigh isn't as separated as Cleveland. yes there are definitely places you don't want to be after dark!!! or some even in the daytime here. hopefully i can narrow some places if interest so that when i visit i can accomplish something and not be even more confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary