Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,566 times

Advertisements

My mother (who is 56), daughter who will be 4, and myself 30 would like to relocate from Topeka, KS to North Carolina we just aren't sure where. I have heard a lot of good things about Raleigh. We want low crime, good schools, lots of things to do. We would be open to a smaller town as long as it is close to a bigger city. Topeka has really high crime, terrible schools and nothing to do so we would like to be in a place that is the opposite. I have also heard that Raleigh is a good place to meet someone for singles. Is that true. The one thing good about Topeka is the very low cost of living. Here you can find a really nice house in a good neighborhood for 120,000. I know that is probably not the case there. Is there anyone that can help me decide where we should move? I also looked at Wilmington but the crime looks pretty bad. We are planning a visit next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 10:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,890 times
Default Moving to Raleigh

Quote:
My mother (who is 56), daughter who will be 4, and myself 30 would like to relocate from Topeka, KS to North Carolina we just aren't sure where. I have heard a lot of good things about Raleigh. We want low crime, good schools, lots of things to do. We would be open to a smaller town as long as it is close to a bigger city. Topeka has really high crime, terrible schools and nothing to do so we would like to be in a place that is the opposite. I have also heard that Raleigh is a good place to meet someone for singles. Is that true. The one thing good about Topeka is the very low cost of living. Here you can find a really nice house in a good neighborhood for 120,000. I know that is probably not the case there. Is there anyone that can help me decide where we should move? I also looked at Wilmington but the crime looks pretty bad. We are planning a visit next month.
I'm partial... but Raleigh is a wonderful place to live for people of all ages. Home prices can get pretty high within the city (within the beltline), but there are plenty of options if you're willing to live outside of the city, and each are only a 15-20 commute into the heart of town. Best of luck in your decision

Moderator cut: signature violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-06-2007 at 03:25 AM..

Old 09-06-2007, 03:15 AM

149 posts, read 548,469 times
Raleigh has reached that size that much of the crime is simply no longer reported - Police response times are over an hour for anything short of a murder and nothing is ever resolved so why bother. In Wilmington, smaller crimes are still reported making it look like there is more crime.

There is also traffic to consider and housing costs are far lower in the Wilmington area!

But, whichever you choose ... you'll enjoy North Carolina!

Old 09-06-2007, 04:00 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
Um, Poster, do you have stats to back that up? Your post makes no sense. I've never heard of crime reporting going down as city size goes up. Raleigh actually has a relatively low crime rate. Even Durham has a 30% lower crime rate than the city it's new police chief came from!

Old 09-06-2007, 05:06 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
Clayton.
Its 20 minutes away from Raleigh, about an hour and a half from the beach, and its in a great location.

Schools are EXCELLENT (ie Johnston county schools) and its alot cheaper than Raleigh. You get more house for your money out here. The people are really nice, low crime and its a great place to raise a family.

Yep! Raleigh has some great nightlife! Check out Meetup: World's largest community of local Meetups, clubs and groups! for some various meetups in the area.

Good luck!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:41 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Try it, you'll like it!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:54 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster View Post
Raleigh has reached that size that much of the crime is simply no longer reported - Police response times are over an hour for anything short of a murder and nothing is ever resolved so why bother. In Wilmington, smaller crimes are still reported making it look like there is more crime.

There is also traffic to consider and housing costs are far lower in the Wilmington area!

But, whichever you choose ... you'll enjoy North Carolina!
This made me LOL. Just completely made up nonsense.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:09 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Have had a few slow PD responses but not for anything major.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:56 AM

282 posts, read 835,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
This made me LOL. Just completely made up nonsense.
Gotta say - the "crime's rampant - you'll get killed and no one will come... but hey - you'll like it" part of the message had me scratching my head....LOL

Old 09-06-2007, 10:00 AM

3 posts, read 82,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnscott View Post
My mother (who is 56), daughter who will be 4, and myself 30 would like to relocate from Topeka, KS to North Carolina we just aren't sure where. We are planning a visit next month.
Do visit and take a look around for yourself. Both Raleigh and Wilmington are nice cities. Raleigh, of course, is much larger and has the big city benefits and liabilities. Wilmington is a medium size city that lacks in some areas but has its own charm and beaches!

To get a balanced view be sure to ask the same question in the coastal NC forum http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/
You are sure to get some different opinions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary