Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 07:40 AM

72 posts, read 288,031 times

Advertisements

According to the NC State Turfgrass Management...
TurfFiles:Alerts
...apply ASAP!!!

Lots of other good lawncare information on this site - keep it bookmarked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 01:56 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,992,641 times
Bermuda experts - when are you putting down your first fertilizer this year? Normally I wait until May 1 but with this weather I am thinking I can get it down in April?

Old 03-21-2012, 02:35 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,149,572 times
I already see a ton of weeds in others lawns but not mine. I think it may be too late for pre-emergent, hence the name. I put stonewall down a few day before valentine day. I spot treat with spray.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:43 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Bermuda experts - when are you putting down your first fertilizer this year? Normally I wait until May 1 but with this weather I am thinking I can get it down in April?
Mine has started to green up and really green up in some places. I surrendered and went with Chem Lawn and am really glad I did with such a warm winter. You can drive through the neighborhoods and some lawns that were decent to good are becoming overwhelmed with weeds. I have none, nary a one. They are coming tomorrow and I am not sure what they are putting down. I could go online and check if I wanted. The major caution about Bermuda is not to fertilize to soon and now is way to soon. Any freeze now could kill the tender shoots and we need to keep our fingers crossed. Hard to tell now when to fertilize but we are no where near a solid 70 degree soil temp.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
Does crabgrass emerge at a different time in bermuda lawns than it does in fescue lawns?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,992,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Mine has started to green up and really green up in some places. I surrendered and went with Chem Lawn and am really glad I did with such a warm winter. You can drive through the neighborhoods and some lawns that were decent to good are becoming overwhelmed with weeds. I have none, nary a one. They are coming tomorrow and I am not sure what they are putting down. I could go online and check if I wanted. The major caution about Bermuda is not to fertilize to soon and now is way to soon. Any freeze now could kill the tender shoots and we need to keep our fingers crossed. Hard to tell now when to fertilize but we are no where near a solid 70 degree soil temp.
Yeah, I'm not thinking of doing it right now, but I would like to get it down sooner rather than later. I have that Scotts Turfbuilder product that has the weed killer mixed in and I am seeing a lot more weeds that normal. I am just pulling the bigger ones by hand for now.

So I guess I just have to wait and see what the weather does over the next few weeks...

Old 03-22-2012, 08:36 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,007,147 times
Is it too late to put down the preemergent now. Totally clueless about
my St Augustine grass care.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,242 times
I'm new at this lawn thing. My yard is nothing but weeds and used to be bermuda. The bermuda seems to be looming under the weeds. As far as the weeds go, take your pick. Where do I start? Should I wait until the fall for weed killer or do it now?

Old 03-22-2012, 09:14 AM

374 posts, read 1,181,802 times
My lawn seems to have a bunch more weeds then normal as well. I think I may have waited to long to put down the per-emergent.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:23 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,076,672 times
Grass issues? Look here:

TurfFiles - Turfgrass Information for North Carolina

Select the "Maintenance Calendar" tab at the top, then pick your grass type. Then scroll down for everything you need to know.

Generally any pre-emergent controls should be applied in the early spring. Post emergent weed controls are applied later.

So if see weeds, you want a post emerge control to kill them.

Where warm/cool season grasses differ is in the fertilizer schedule. Cool season grass is generally early spring, fall and winter. Warm season grass generally gets fertilizer when its actively growing.

So a bag that has both fertilizer and a pre-emerge control (i.e. Turfbuilder with Halts) will work fine for cool season grass in the early spring but is *not* suitable for a warm season grass as fertilizer is not advised for warm season grass in early spring.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary