Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:15 AM

569 posts, read 1,978,219 times

Advertisements

Just a reminder to all that 10 digit dialing starts at the end of this month.
Ten-digit dialing begins March 31 in the Triangle - Technology - NewsObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 09:32 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,311 times
About time! I have to dial that on my cell phone and it always throws me off on the rare chance I make a local call on a landline.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:16 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
You can go ahead and use 10 digits on landlines now if you want. They turned that on a few months back.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:21 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,311 times
Shows how often I use a landline...LOL

Old 03-09-2012, 01:13 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Ha! I just moved here 6 weeks ago from DC and posted on Facebook, "Wow, it's like living back in the 1980's here. I only have to dial 7 digits on the phone to call someone." Now we just need to get FIOS here and we'll be all up-to-date. :-)

Old 03-09-2012, 05:58 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
Shows how often I use a landline...LOL

Count me in this group, I actually can't remember the last time I used a landline (except at work, which is still rare).

It does make me think about something though...
I moved to Asheville in '04 and got a new cell phone number with an 828 area code thinking a) I would be there forever* and b) it would help me seem more local and get a job (which it did).
Things didn't work out and I ended up moving back to good ole Raleigh in '05. A year after that I decided I should probably switch back and get another 919 number but when to the AT&T store and they told me it'd be $50 to change my number unless I could proved I was being harrassed and "really need" a new number!
I was a little ticked off about the charge (when I had never had to pay one before) and on principle decided to just stick with my old number.

Now I'm thinking that now might be the time to suck it up and pay so I can still get a 919 number...but is it worth all the hassle? I dunno, but definitly something to think about. Don't want to look like a Raleigh newb!

*Ahhh, young love...

Old 03-09-2012, 01:06 PM
WDJ

286 posts, read 789,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Count me in this group, I actually can't remember the last time I used a landline (except at work, which is still rare).

It does make me think about something though...
I moved to Asheville in '04 and got a new cell phone number with an 828 area code thinking a) I would be there forever* and b) it would help me seem more local and get a job (which it did).
Things didn't work out and I ended up moving back to good ole Raleigh in '05. A year after that I decided I should probably switch back and get another 919 number but when to the AT&T store and they told me it'd be $50 to change my number unless I could proved I was being harrassed and "really need" a new number!
I was a little ticked off about the charge (when I had never had to pay one before) and on principle decided to just stick with my old number.

Now I'm thinking that now might be the time to suck it up and pay so I can still get a 919 number...but is it worth all the hassle? I dunno, but definitly something to think about. Don't want to look like a Raleigh newb!

*Ahhh, young love...
You could signup for a Google Voice number and get a 919 number for free that you can forward. That way, you can slowly transition to a new number.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:46 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
This reminds of me of when cary got 469 and 481 instead of just 467 lol. We are big time now!

Old 03-09-2012, 01:55 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post

Seinfeld: Elaine's Circular Reasoning - YouTube

Old 03-09-2012, 02:01 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDJ View Post
You could signup for a Google Voice number and get a 919 number for free that you can forward. That way, you can slowly transition to a new number.
Just be careful if you link it to a Sprint cell phone number - Google Voice sort of takes over and your voice mails go to Google Voice and not your regular Sprint voice mail. I couldn't switch it back myself and had to call Sprint customer service to fix it. Very strange!

I don't get good signal at my house otherwise I'd go 100% cellular.. still trying to figure out if I want to go with Google Voice instead, but for now I have the Time Warner package with phone included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary