Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:43 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times

Advertisements

I see houses somewhat like that here and there around Chapel Hill. Can't really point you to any in particular, but I know they're out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 02:51 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Someone might have to go all "Triangle Explorer" in search of contemporary houses....

Old 03-19-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunomom View Post
You may be able to find what you are looking for (at least an architect) through the Triangle Modernist Archive. Their website has an abundance of information including modernist homes for sale in the triangle. At one time, there was a new home community of modernist homes planned for some land near the intersection of Trailwood and Avent Ferry; not sure of the status.
Triangle Modernist Houses - Documenting, Preserving, Promoting Residential Modern Architecture
Quite the archive
Triangle Modernist Houses - America's Largest Archive of Residential Modernist Design

From the CD Archives:
New development to watch for fans of modernist homes

But I don't think the project got traction.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:29 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
Chapel Hill and Durham have a much broader selection of mid century modern homes than the Raleigh area. Any in Raleigh, will be in pricey "inside the beltline" neighborhoods, and you're going to pay well over $200 a sq ft. There are contemporary ranches scattered all over, especially in neighborhoods built in the 70s and 80s. And again, but more ultra modern, Chapel Hill is the place to be. In Raleigh, modern and contemporary homes from previous eras are frequently razed and replaced with McMansions.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:31 PM

496 posts, read 553,240 times
We like the pictured style, as well! Modern houses are often especially stunning inside. But we would not want a flat roof, where there is a chance of more than an inch of snow.

One feature of today's houses I've truly learned to dislike is the "pretend gable," where a plain roofline is broken up by several wooden triangles that serve no purpose - except they have to be painted or aluminum-clad, to keep them from rotting out. Another horrid feature is the garage that sticks out in front of the house - the result of placing the house on a too-small lot.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:33 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
Any other readers of Atomic Ranch on here?

It's a dream of mine to one day, build a development, maybe 6-8 houses to begin, in the traditional 40s-50s mid-century modern style...all the way down to landscaping, etc.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:45 PM

814 posts, read 2,007,444 times
I guess I disagree about resale issues with modern houses, but to each his own. We LOVE modern houses and, as the OP is doing, looked for one. And then used one of the local modern architects for renovation (we found with a previous house that you really need to use a architect AND a builder that are very experienced in modern houses to be able to speak the same language and get what you want.)

And I third the Triangle Modernist Houses site. Great list of triangle area modern houses and architects, as well as the history of NCSU Design School which was once a center for modern architecture, which is very evident in our neighborhood, which is full of modern houses from that era.

And my house is on Triangle Modernist Houses!

Old 03-19-2012, 05:50 PM

Triangle House Tours - Slideshows - Dwell

View homes picked for AIA tour - Triangle Business Journal

Notice there are no new construction subdivisions or neighborhoods overwhelmingly devoted to modern architecture.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:47 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Chapel Hill and Durham have a much broader selection of mid century modern homes than the Raleigh area. Any in Raleigh, will be in pricey "inside the beltline" neighborhoods, and you're going to pay well over $200 a sq ft. There are contemporary ranches scattered all over, especially in neighborhoods built in the 70s and 80s. And again, but more ultra modern, Chapel Hill is the place to be. In Raleigh, modern and contemporary homes from previous eras are frequently razed and replaced with McMansions.
You claim Raleigh's stock is "pricey" yet you suggest Chapel Hill? Seriously?
With existing stock, I agree that Durham will probably be cheaper but new construction will probably only differ on the cost of the land.

While homes are certainly razed from time to time, I think it's an exageration to claim that Raleigh's stock is frequently razed.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:06 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
I guess I disagree about resale issues with modern houses, but to each his own. We LOVE modern houses and, as the OP is doing, looked for one. And then used one of the local modern architects for renovation (we found with a previous house that you really need to use a architect AND a builder that are very experienced in modern houses to be able to speak the same language and get what you want.)

And I third the Triangle Modernist Houses site. Great list of triangle area modern houses and architects, as well as the history of NCSU Design School which was once a center for modern architecture, which is very evident in our neighborhood, which is full of modern houses from that era.

And my house is on Triangle Modernist Houses!
there's one neighborhood I know of in Orange County that was built as a commune-like existence that is all modern/contemporary architecture.

As noted, Triangle Modernist is the definitive site for this style of architecture.

There are two areas in Wake County/Raleigh with reasonable numbers of contemporaries: Cameron Village & Country Club Hills. One will run you 300-500K, and the other will be $500K+. There are homes available right now in each.

As noted, Chapel Hill has the same, a few areas where professors (typically) had architectural wonders constructed in the late 60's and 70's. They're generally south of campus.

In Durham, a few homes in Hope Valley are contemporaries. Then, in the Duke Forest area, and areas towards Chapel Hill from 15-501, you'll find some more in what was a very rural area when they were built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary