Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,967 times

Advertisements

Hi, all - I just realized I could post in this forum. You all seem pretty responsive, plus it shows up on google search.

Last summer, August 2011 (yes, long time ago), I was bitten by a dog at Falls Lake. The owner was nonchalant, and I decided the best course of action was to remove myself from the scene - My leg was throbbing, and she told me to be careful because her other (unleashed) dog was afraid of people.

I'm posting her just in case anyone else has had an experience with this women and her two dogs or know someone with an experience.

Lady had blonde frizzy hair, late 30's - 50's, medium build.
One dog was a black, good looking dog, short hair. No cropped tail or ears that I remember.
That's the dog that bit me, totally unprovoked. I had stepped off the trail to let her and her dogs through. He turned around and lunged at my thigh.

The day after the incident, I notified all proper authorities.

Of course, I now wish I had her name. I love dogs and volunteer at a shelter every week, but I think poor training got to this dog.

Many hundreds of dollars and 4 doctor appointments later, I'm just happy that it wasn't worse. But if I didn't have long pants on, it would have been. If I was a child with my face at the dog's level, I would have been severally injured. I'm afraid this dog could or has bitten others.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:55 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,172,994 times
I'm curious what the authorities had to say when you contacted them about the situation.

We have folks that live in our neighborhood that go out on the walking trails ALL THE TIME with their two golden labs unleashed. I have said to them several times they needed to keep their dogs on a leash because not all dogs (like mine) appreciate having dogs triple their size come bounding up to them. They just wave me off and say, "Oh but they're so friendly!" Yesterday I watched them bring their two dogs into a field where a little league softball team was practicing and the dogs just ran into the middle of play and completely disrupted their practice. And the owners did nothing. I called Animal Control after I saw that and they were basically like, "Yeah... well... not much we can do..." I thought the area had leash laws but maybe I'm mistaken.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:26 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,551,793 times
It's super common for dogs to be off their leash in that area. It's one of those areas that is great for exercising dogs that need some off leash time where they can explore. We do the same and nobody that walks/runs out there seems to mind at all.

Owners should know their dogs though. Completely unacceptable to have an aggressive dog that bites off leash. I doubt it was an isolated incident. Damn ****ty owners always ruin it for the responsible pet owners. Sorry to hear it.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:22 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,044,292 times
I am not sure about the leash law for the county.

I tried to search it and its hard to tell if it is within city limits
only or all of Wake County.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:45 PM

554 posts, read 1,157,198 times
Unless your dog is 100% under your voice control, it should not be off leash in a public place. I don't care how "friendly" your dog is, I do not want it approaching me, my dogs, or my children without my express permission.

I do not understand why this is so difficult for people to understand?

Old 03-26-2012, 02:54 PM

513 posts, read 1,607,528 times
i love dogs but if one bit my kid OR my dog it (its owner) would be beaten badly.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:11 PM

748 posts, read 1,379,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
Unless your dog is 100% under your voice control, it should not be off leash in a public place. I don't care how "friendly" your dog is, I do not want it approaching me, my dogs, or my children without my express permission.

I couldnt agree with you more!

Old 03-26-2012, 03:36 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,554,571 times
Just curious - falls lake is pretty huge. What part was this in? Were you on the white trail? If so, what part?

Old 03-26-2012, 06:25 PM

645 posts, read 1,506,410 times
I have no use for any owner who has no control over their dog. I was bitten badly by a Pit Bull last year and the owner had the dog on the leash!! He walked up and the dog just nailed my leg. I now would beat any dog to death if it was not on a leash and heading my way.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:12 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,551,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post

I do agree with this 100%

However, in this context, we are talking about narrow hiking paths. So regardless of whether or not you have control of the dog, or even if it's on a leash, you will be "approached" when you see someone walking the opposite direction and you intersect.

Obviously open areas like baseball fields are a completely different story, and a dog should never be approaching you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary