Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:10 AM

130 posts, read 503,287 times

Advertisements

I received a call from a major newspaper company in the Raleigh area that said I owed x.xx amount because my subscription had expired and because they delivered papers after my subscription expired I needed to pay up. Is this common practice for newspaper carriers? Never had a problem with this before. I expressed my concern that I was told I owed money for a service that I did not wish to continue past the subscription date and she pretty much said oh well you received the papers you need to pay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 10:14 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Call THEM and find the right person who can fix it. I presume you have not gotten any bills, so you are not "delinquent", and you can't help that they are delivering to you. This could be a "hard-sell" attempt to get you to renew your subscription--but call the subscription department and find out (and tell them you have no intention of paying for any papers and get the name of the one you talk to).

Old 04-03-2012, 10:19 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
They have no proof that you actually received the papers, do they?

Newspaper delivery has always had to rely on the honor system. If you call and say you did not get today's paper, they bring you one or credit your account.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:26 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I had the same problem in NY - newspapers are hard up for money these days. They don't have a leg to stand on. Call them back as Francois suggested and let THEM know in no uncertain terms that you have no intention for paying for services not requested.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:35 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I had the same problem in NY - newspapers are hard up for money these days. They don't have a leg to stand on. Call them back as Francois suggested and let THEM know in no uncertain terms that you have no intention for paying for services not requested.
The same thing happened to me with a magazine company once and when I let them know that I didn't intend to pay (and didn't) they turned me into a collections company which in turn affected my credit rating.
I think there is something in the small print that allows them to continue uninterrupted service, it's on you to call them and cancel your subscription. (learned this the hard way and actually no longer subscribe to any magazines because of this tactic!!!)

You should still definitely call and escalate it up the chain of command, but don't ignore the charge or simply refuse to pay it because they will most likely turn it into collections if it's not resolved.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:23 AM

273 posts, read 618,937 times
Collections at that low of a dollar amount wouldnt even show up on a credit report. It likely isnt even a formal collection, moreso just a "please pay us" from the newspaper. I wouldnt even bother wasting the time on it, honestly.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:30 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthephysicist View Post
Collections at that low of a dollar amount wouldnt even show up on a credit report. It likely isnt even a formal collection, moreso just a "please pay us" from the newspaper. I wouldnt even bother wasting the time on it, honestly.
This is not true. I once had a company put an $8 charge that I didn't even make on my credit report. You can imagine the amount of fun I had cleaning up that mess. It's up to each individual company what they're going to bother paying to send to collections.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:42 AM

273 posts, read 618,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
This is not true. I once had a company put an $8 charge that I didn't even make on my credit report. You can imagine the amount of fun I had cleaning up that mess. It's up to each individual company what they're going to bother paying to send to collections.
True, but this OP has only received a phone call, probably more from their renewal department aka collections. If s/he received a collection letter in the mail, that'd be another story. That's why I wouldnt bother unless it materializes as something different. Then its easy, cancelled service, dont owe a penny.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:02 PM

515 posts, read 1,716,205 times
They cannot do anything with it unless you renew. Then they will simply shorten your subscription by the amount you "owe" I had the same thing happen where they claimed I owed but they kept delivering months after my sub ended. I told them to take me to court cause they were the idiots that kept alledgedly (never acknowledged receipt) leaving a paper and wanted me to pay. NOT!!

Old 04-03-2012, 12:42 PM

804 posts, read 2,003,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthephysicist View Post
this is NEVER an advisable course of action. our credit reports have a lot to say to us & they are a PITA to clean up if/when something incorrect gets on there. as evaofnc mentioned, they will place things on your credit report that seem inane. even getting something mistakenly reported on your credit report (that is not & never was your responsibility)is a problem.

- never, ever, ever just ignore any collection.
- talk to the companies trying to charge & always keep notes (time, date, person's name, substance of conversation.
- put everything in writing & keep copies for your records.

it's a pain but it's unfortunately how the credit markets work nowadays.

politely request that they remove the charges and cancel the account since it was never renewed. follow that up with a letter stating a time period for them to respond in writing to confirm that it is removed. if they refuse to remove the charges, i would recommend reporting to the NC attorney general's office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary