Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 02:20 AM

330 posts, read 1,977,065 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody. I hope everybody is having a great day. Ok I'll try to keep this short and get to the point. We are originally from Long Island NY. We have 2 children and we are seriously considering a move to the RTP area. We always hear that Cary & Apex are the best to choose from. But for the size house we want it looks like we might have to consider the souroanding towns.

So can anybody please tell us about Wake Forest. Is the crime low there? High? drive time how far is Wake Forest to lets say the Raleigh Airport. I know all the schools are Wake County Schools but are the schools ok in wake forest.

And the same questions above for Holly Springs.

By the way our price range is about 250-265,000 , but we are hoping for a new or maybe 5 year old single family home 4 beds with a bonus or basement ( one of the two ) 2 car garage at least 2300 square feet. In a subdivision.

And please ask or Add any other helpful input.

Thank you---Hope to see you guys soon. Stay safe & have a wonderful day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2006, 07:19 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
You'll be fine in Wake Forest or if you go another 5 miles down the road, Rolesville. And I just sold 2 homes in Holly Springs, in your price range. You'll be fine there, as well. Once you get here, have your agent show you the areas you mentioned, as well as explain the different areas to you and the confusion will come to an end! Vicki

Old 09-18-2006, 07:35 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,564,137 times
You will be able to find what your looking for in the Holly Springs area, as well as Fuquay Varina,Wake Forest. I have sent you a pm with a link for you to check out that should help you get familiar with the area. I relocated from Upper State NY and it was the best thing I ever did. I wasn't sure at the time, because I didn't have anyone to help me. Try to hook up with someone in this area that can be of some help to you. It will make all the difference in the world. You'll do great.

Regards,
Debbie

Old 09-18-2006, 11:47 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
Hi

I live in wake forest, and have lived in apex, holly springs, and cary. So, where we are in wake forest, we are about 25 minutes from the airport. The crime rate is low, the place is more small town feeling than cary or raleigh. It has a great downtown area that surrounds the high school (wake forest rolesville high school ) and the baptist seminary.

I think the schools are very good, but I would say that about most of wake county. Almost all of the elementary schools will be year round in wake forest, which is fine with me, but some people do not seem to like it. Um, what else? I think wake forest pretty much has what everyone needs....or seems to need: super target, wal mart, grocery stores, movie theater, ice rink, soccer fields, parks, home depot, lowe's, etc.

We have been quite happy here, but I think where you move will also depend on where you are going to work. we moved from holly springs and the south side of cary because my spouse works at ibm in research triangle park and he was tired of the bumper to bumper traffic. now, we are 30 minutes from his office, but he doesn't have any traffic and doesn't have to get on the highway if he doesn't want to.

Anyhow, feel free to let know if you have more questions! Good luck!

Leigh

Old 09-18-2006, 02:42 PM

Leigh,

Wake Forest does have a great downtown. I do agree with that. I think they have to add a few more things though. Do you know of anything else that is coming in to that downtown area?

Old 09-18-2006, 03:11 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
I didn't like Wake Forest at all. It just seemed too far out and too country for me. I haven't been to Holly Springs yet, however. Cary and North Raleigh (near the Six Forks Rd and Falls of Neuse Rd) were my favorite areas.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:45 PM

693 posts, read 2,761,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
I didn't like Wake Forest at all. It just seemed too far out and too country for me. .
I felt the same way. And the commute from Wake Forest to RTP is pretty far, just look at the map.

From Holly Springs I can get to Cary Crossroads mall area in 10 minutes and to Raleigh downtown or the great farmers market in 15-20 minutes.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:49 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
I felt the same way. And the commute from Wake Forest to RTP is pretty far, just look at the map.

From Holly Springs I can get to Cary Crossroads mall area in 10 minutes and to Raleigh downtown or the great farmers market in 15-20 minutes.
I guess the commute is relative to where you are in wake forest and where you are going in the park. We live off of purnell road in wake forest and my spouse works off of miami in the park, and it takes him 30 minutes tops to get to work. It takes me 20 minutes to get to brier creek shopping center. He decided the 30 minutes without traffic was much much much better than an hour with traffic. We lived off of ten ten and kildaire farm road in cary, and he hated that commute, although we liked the area itself.

Anyhow, we did move to wake forest for the lesser commute time to the park, but we ended up really really loving the area for everything else as well.

Leigh

Old 09-19-2006, 02:13 AM

330 posts, read 1,977,065 times
Default New Yorker considering Wake Forest or Holly springs, please help.

Thank you so much for replying and being so helpful. Where are all of you originally from?

With all this growth do you see the entire Raleigh Metro Area being overcrowded in a bad way? Such as crime , smog, traffic?

Thanks again -- I need some sleep

Old 09-19-2006, 05:51 AM

To be perfectly honest my favorite area is the North Raleigh area. If I had to move to another I would either choose Cary or Holly Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary