Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 11:36 PM

99 posts, read 216,597 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are in the process of relocating to North Carolina for a job in RTP. We currently live in the San Francisco Bay Area, where as you know, home pricing is ridiculous! I would love a house in a nice, community, with some land/privacy (not necessarily on top of my next door neighbor). I've read a lot of posts about Cary, so I'd rather just skip talking about that area and concentrate on some other options. Do you have any feedback on the Wake Forest/Falls Lake area? How about Holly Springs, or Pittsboro? Chapel Hill sounded nice too, especially for schools. I want a place to raise a family and be close to action but not necessarily in the middle of it. And I would prefer not to have to commute more than 30 minutes from RTP. Is this doable in these areas? Do you have any insight? Am I completely overlooking a really great area? I won't be able to visit until Sept/Oct, and we would probably move shortly after, so any feedback at all to get me started would be great. Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 04:37 AM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
You can commute to RTP within 30 minutes from any of those areas. Pittsboro may be a little far, though.
New construction or existing resale?
In a subdivision, or not necessarily in a subdivision?
Is "some land" an acre, 5 acres, or???

Wake Forest and Falls Lake area will give you good access to daily needs shopping, and you can get a home on an acre or more.

Chapel Hill is an easy commute, Durham easier.

You might also consider a North Raleigh location off Creedmoor Road. Decent commute to RTP, and you can get just outside the RDU Airport noise corridor. (http://www.rduaircraftnoise.com/noiseinfo/Composite_Noise_Contours_11x17.pdf - broken link)

Old 06-07-2007, 04:50 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,538 times
I am considering Wake Forest, for the reasons that-it seems pretty and country, yet it is close to Raleigh, and the town itself seems like a nice place. We're wanting to stay closer to 85 and 95 so we want to be more east than Chapel Hill or Holly Springs. We also want Wake County schools so we are only considering the part of Wake Forest that is in Wake.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:34 PM

Thanks for asking! So we want an existing home - not land to develop on, but we don't necessarily need a brand new house. Our current home is about 30 years old... something newer than that would be nice. Doesn't necessarily need to be in a subdivision. And by some land... anything over 1/3 of an acre to an acre would be great! I'm in the Bay Area where land doesn't necessarily exist

I remember reading that the commute could be tough from Wake Forest/Falls Lake to RTP... is this pretty accurate?

Thanks again for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You can commute to RTP within 30 minutes from any of those areas. Pittsboro may be a little far, though.
New construction or existing resale?
In a subdivision, or not necessarily in a subdivision?
Is "some land" an acre, 5 acres, or???

Wake Forest and Falls Lake area will give you good access to daily needs shopping, and you can get a home on an acre or more.

Chapel Hill is an easy commute, Durham easier.

You might also consider a North Raleigh location off Creedmoor Road. Decent commute to RTP, and you can get just outside the RDU Airport noise corridor. (http://www.rduaircraftnoise.com/noiseinfo/Composite_Noise_Contours_11x17.pdf - broken link)

Old 06-07-2007, 07:39 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,671,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothruaccess View Post
Thanks for asking! So we want an existing home - not land to develop on, but we don't necessarily need a brand new house. Our current home is about 30 years old... something newer than that would be nice. Doesn't necessarily need to be in a subdivision. And by some land... anything over 1/3 of an acre to an acre would be great! I'm in the Bay Area where land doesn't necessarily exist

I remember reading that the commute could be tough from Wake Forest/Falls Lake to RTP... is this pretty accurate?

I live in Wake Forest and work in RTP....it's not that bad to be honest. It really depends on exactly where your house is and where exactly your job is.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:21 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,037,211 times
Quote:

Like others have said, the commute from wake forest to rtp depends on where you live..........we live on the west side of town (purnell road area) and many people in our neighborhood commute to the park, for my husband it is 30 minutes and he goes to page road. The nice part is he can take back road without highways or go on the highway........depends on his mood!

The nice thing is how easy it is to get to falls lake access from wake forest! we love going on the lake with the boat, especially in the early evenings during the week.........it is very quiet then!

Leigh

Old 06-07-2007, 10:03 PM

So overall you're pleased with Wake Forest? Are there other areas where you would live or relocate to? I've been seeing alot of posts of people who have been renting to check things out who are eventually deciding on Chapel Hill or the Wake Forest area from what they've seen, so that's making me lean towards those areas rather than Cary. Is it a nice community overall and relatively close to activities? My husband and I do love the outdoors so the comment about the lake was really nice to hear! Speaking of which, how's camping and hiking in the area?

Old 06-08-2007, 05:15 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,037,211 times
Quote:
So overall you're pleased with Wake Forest? Are there other areas where you would live or relocate to? I've been seeing alot of posts of people who have been renting to check things out who are eventually deciding on Chapel Hill or the Wake Forest area from what they've seen, so that's making me lean towards those areas rather than Cary. Is it a nice community overall and relatively close to activities? My husband and I do love the outdoors so the comment about the lake was really nice to hear! Speaking of which, how's camping and hiking in the area?
I grew up in chapel hill and now live in wake forest. I love love love chapel hill, but it is much more expensive! I could spend the same amount of money on a house and get a smaller house that is quite possibly a fixer. Chapel hill has a smaller feel, it has more smaller shops and a better choice of grocery stores! Not that the ones in wake forest are bad, they are not, but chapel hill will have a trader joes, they have a whole foods, etc

On the flip side wake forest has the thing you may need (as in target, home depot, restaurants) and still has that quaint feel. The shops in downtown are evolving (my daughter's just got great haircuts from one shop in downtown). We have friends who camp regularly at falls lake and they love it. There is hiking, but I haven't done it! We tend to take the boat to the lake an hang out on the lake.

It is worth checking out!

Leigh

Old 06-08-2007, 02:00 PM

560 posts, read 2,849,970 times
We live in Youngsville but find ourselves in Wake Forest at least four times a week for shopping/eating and really love the area. Only reason we didn't buy in WF is because we got a little bit more land and house for the $$$ outside of Wake.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:33 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,010,729 times
We relocated from the SF Bay area (Marin county) to So cal and were there for 14 years and then relocated here. we chose Holly SPrings. Commute was a huge factor for us simply because my husband did not want to do it anymore. We did it in the Bay area and then did it big time in the so cal area. His commute from HS's is 25 minutes or less. We like that we are outside of everything here yet within 15-20 minutes of almost everything we need. We are happy with out neighborhood and the family atmosphere it provides. Schools are good. I know there are many areas of Raleigh and surrounding that would meet your needs. I think Pittsborough would be a bit far out for you. Ask away on the specific questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary