Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 10:44 AM

449 posts, read 700,103 times

Advertisements

Rosemary Thornton, (RosemaryT here on C-D) is coming to Raleigh on the weekend of May 18-30, 2012 to give two talks on Kit Homes in Raleigh, and do a book appearance and signing at Third Place Coffee.

From the Raleigh Historic District Development Commission newsletter:
MADE TO ORDER: KIT HOMES IN RALEIGH
During the first half of the twentieth century Sears, Roebuck, and Company and a handful of other companies sold mail-order homes. Ordered from a catalog, the houses (and assembly instructions) were shipped to the buyer piece by piece. Rosemary Thornton, a leading authority on Sears Modern Homes, recognizes that Raleigh has an impressive collection. Join RHDC in exploring Raleigh’s treasure trove:

Made to Order: Kit Homes in Raleigh - at the Raleigh City Museum
Friday, May 18, 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Raleigh City Museum, 220 Fayetteville Street
In partnership with the Raleigh City Museum, RHDC will host a reception launching the exhibit Made to Order: Kit Homes in Raleigh.
[directions here]

The Houses that Sears Built in Raleigh - at the Rialto Theater
Saturday, May 19, 1:30—3:30 p.m.
Rialto Theatre, 1620 Glenwood Avenue
Learn about Sears Modern Homes from expert Rosemary Thornton.
[directions here]

Meet Rosemary: A Book Signing- at The Third Place Coffeehouse
Saturday, May 19, 3:30 p.m.
Third Place, 1811 Glenwood Avenue
Featuring Rosemary Thornton, author of The Houses that Sears Built and Finding the Houses that Sears Built.
[directions here]

If any C-Ders want to meet at the Rialto or Third Place events, let me know, I'll be there too, it would be fun to meet up.

And a reminder, Rosemary and some of us on city-data are planning a walking tour of possibly Glenwood-Brooklyn or other historic neighborhoods later this year, possibly August, during her next trip to Raleigh. I'll be posting that info as things get arranged. We tried to get something going for this trip but her only free time was Thursday the 17th and not enough people were free on a 'school night' so hopefully it happens later. Anyone interested can DM me and I'll send you a message or email if you give me your address… (I don't spam)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 05:43 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
‘Got to Be NC’ Roller Derby Expo | Carolina Rollergirls

Old 05-10-2012, 09:47 AM

22 posts, read 36,460 times
Default Share Your Wake Forest Garden, May 12 & 13

Share Your Wake Forest Garden is a weekend where residential and community gardens are open to visitors to enjoy, ask questions, and get gardening tips. The event is Saturday, May 12, from 10 am-5 pm, and Sunday, May 13, from 1-4 pm. The tour is FREE. No reservations or tickets required, just come and enjoy. Children are welcome but please leave pets at home.

There are 19 gardens on tour in 2012. Host sites will be listed on facebook: www.facebook.com/ShareYourWakeForestGarden

Maps will be available at the Wake Forest Farmers' Market on Saturday from 8-noon, and at these gardens starting at 10:00 am Saturday:
123 East Chestnut St. in Mill Village, 112 North Ave. (the old Ice Cream Shop), 7205 Pantonbury Pl. in Prestwicke, and 4116 Field Oak Drive in Majestic Oaks.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:21 AM

725 posts, read 1,501,025 times
Tonight (Friday 5/11) in Raleigh Music on the Porch is a Grassroots Non-Profit

Andy Coats and the Bank Walkers - $5 Donation\Adult

Fun place to bring something to eat (and your lawn chair), watch live music and meet new people. They usually have a food truck as well.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,215 times
Default Open House :: Richland Creek Elementary in Wake Forest :: This Saturday, 5/19

Hi Parents!

I'm trying to get the word our about an open house at Richland Creek Elementary School in Wake Forest. Wake Forest parents, please join us!

RICHLAND CREEK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL :: OPEN HOUSE!
Saturday * May 19 * 10 a.m. - noon
530 E. Perry Avenue Wake Forest, NC 27587
Richland Creek Elementary School | Richland Creek Elementary School

Families: Join Dr. Tammie Sexton and staff for activities and a tour of the campus, facilities and classrooms.

About Wake’s newest school, Richland Creek:
Richland Creek Elementary will open for the 2012-13 school year for students in kindergarten through third grade. Launching a new school means students and families have an exciting opportunity to shape the school’s identity and establish its values and traditions. We look forward to working with parents and students to build a strong academic foundation to carry with us as Richland Creek moves to its permanent campus for the 2014-15 school year.

The open house event starts at 10 a.m. Principal Sexton will speak at 11 a.m.

Thanks!

Lisa

Lisa Johnson, Director of Marketing Communications
Wake County Public School System
wcpss.net | @wcpss

Last edited by Samntha; 05-12-2012 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: image didn't show

Old 05-13-2012, 11:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Drag Brunch
The Crape Myrtle Festival will hold its drag brunch on May 20 at 5 Star, 511 W. Hargett St. Doors open up at 12 p.m., with the show beginning at 12:30 p.m.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:33 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,645,432 times
Artsplosure 2012 - The Raleigh Arts Festival - May 19 & 20 - Raleigh, NC - May 19 & 20

Downtown Raleigh Living Tour - May 19

Old 05-15-2012, 06:56 AM

459 posts, read 757,699 times
Default Garmin Engineering Career Open House May 17th

I know there are some engineers looking for jobs. Check out this email my husband received yesterday:

GARMIN INTERNATIONAL
Engineering Career
OPEN HOUSE

This Thursday, May 17th
4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.

Garmin is growing in the Triangle area.
If you are an experienced product development engineer,
we want to talk to you!

Garmin
100 Regency Forest Drive
Cary, NC 27518

Opportunities exist in the following areas:

Senior Configuration Management & Build Tools Engineer (1200080)
Java Web Applications Developers (12000BU)
Senior Software Engineers: Power management, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi (120004J)
Embedded Graphics Software Engineers (120004K)
Senior Software Engineer Protocols (120006I)
Senior Software Engineers – Automotive – CAN, Drivers, C/C++, GUI (12000BT)

Old 05-15-2012, 07:56 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
DAMMIT!!! Nobody was supposed to find out. I was hoping to be the only one there!

I actually spoke to one of their recruiters and they are looking for VERY specific experience, as you can tell by the job titles. They've had these positions open on their website for months and haven't been able to find any candidates, so you know they're being very selective. I was planning to attend, but after talking to the recruiter decided it would be a waste of time for both parties.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:12 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Tour Urban Chicken Coops in Raleigh Saturday May 19th!

Tour D'Coop: This unique "Parade of Combs" features hens and coops tucked into the gardens of your friends and neighbors. Info Tour D'Coop // Raleigh, N.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary