Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 01:20 PM

33 posts, read 122,427 times

Advertisements

does the area have foliage, or is that only in the mountains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2006, 02:04 PM

9 posts, read 24,520 times
It's certainly more pronounced in the mountains, but yes you will still see good color here in the Raleigh area.

edit - I'm assuming you were asking if there are colorful, scenic leaves in the fall here..?

Old 09-18-2006, 03:02 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,564 times
An article in today's N&O is predicting fall colors should be more vivid than last year, when a warm fall led to late and muted color and many leaves turned brown.

An assistant biology professor at Western Carolina University said leaves in the mountains should begin changing color in early October and peak about mid-month.

Color levels vary because of elevation, temperature and rainfall.

"It could be an extended season because the trees are in good condition from the spring and summer growing season."

But they note (this is ironic) that Fall color also depends on who is looking.
It may be good in one spot for one person, but better in another spot for another person," "It's really an opinion of the person that's viewing it."
Kind of like all of us viewing NC.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Buyers Rep View Post
It's certainly more pronounced in the mountains, but yes you will still see good color here in the Raleigh area.

edit - I'm assuming you were asking if there are colorful, scenic leaves in the fall here..?
yes, that's what I was asking. we're making the move from NY very soon and I need to make sure that I will still have my foliage! LOL

Fall is by far my most favorite season

Thanks for letting me know

Old 09-18-2006, 04:10 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Bound View Post
yes, that's what I was asking. we're making the move from NY very soon and I need to make sure that I will still have my foliage! LOL

Fall is by far my most favorite season

Thanks for letting me know
Hey, soon as you can get unpacked, head up to the Blue Ridge Parkway for some really pretty viewing I LOVE FALL TOO!!!

Old 09-18-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hey, soon as you can get unpacked, head up to the Blue Ridge Parkway for some really pretty viewing I LOVE FALL TOO!!!
oh definitely!! I have some family near Asheville and I cannot wait to see it! I hear it is just gorgeous

Old 09-18-2006, 04:13 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
The colors definitely won't last as long or be as deep and varied as they are in the Northeast; but you still get somewhat of a fall foliage. Last year was a dud as previously mentioned, and that tends to happen every few years...... it will stay hot into october and then all of a sudden, go down to the 40s and 50's and the leaves will just turn brown and the trees go bare within a couple weeks. I don't know if that will happen this year but it's pretty much hit or miss. It was almost 10 degrees above normal here today; but that's probably too soon to tell.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:16 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Bound View Post
oh definitely!! I have some family near Asheville and I cannot wait to see it! I hear it is just gorgeous
Will you be here before the end of October? Best viewing on the parkway can be anywhere from second week to last week of Ocober at the higher elevations. It is still colorful down here in Charlotte until about the 10th of November. For some reason year after year now November 3 has always been the most spectacular in Charlotte (it's a friend's birthday so I never forget the date!)

Old 09-18-2006, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Will you be here before the end of October? Best viewing on the parkway can be anywhere from second week to last week of Ocober at the higher elevations. It is still colorful down here in Charlotte until about the 10th of November. For some reason year after year now November 3 has always been the most spectacular in Charlotte (it's a friend's birthday so I never forget the date!)
I'm really not sure when we're moving. everything is hinging on a job that I am interviewing with. We would prefer to stay in NY until after the holiday season. But if I get that job, we'll be moving in October.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:19 PM

40 posts, read 160,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
The colors definitely won't last as long or be as deep and varied as they are in the Northeast; but you still get somewhat of a fall foliage.
Maybe not in Raleigh, but in western NC it most certainly is. Even the Triad has slighty better fall foliage than the Triangle because we are further west. The western part of the state certainly has deep and varied fall foliage. Also, Mt. Mitchell is the highest peak (6,684 ft) not only in North Carolina but in the entire Appalachian Mountain Chain in all of eastern North America, which contributes to the beautiful fall foliage.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary