Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 5,666 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Brooklyn, NY and am looking to buy and restore an older home in Central Durham. I was originally attracted to the Cleveland-Holloway neighborhood based mostly on reading blogs from people renovating homes in that area, but am wondering what other neighborhoods to check out when I come down later this spring.
I'm specifically wondering how the area around Golden Belt compares to the 600-800 blocks of Holloway. There are a couple of properties near Golden Belt that have had shell renovations done that I'm eager to see, one on Morning Glory and the other on Taylor. In C-H, I have a big crush on the Calvin O'Briant house, but am a little spooked by the issues with the foundation. (I first fell in love with the O'Briant store, before last year's hurricane knocked out what was left of the rear wall). I'm intrepid, but hopefully not foolish!
How do C-H and Golden Belt compare in terms of their "feel" and their prospects for the future? I'm looking for a diverse transitioning neighborhood, and while the Golden Belt complex itself looks to be well done, I'm wondering if it feels like a pocket of hipsters displacing the existing residents (Brooklyn transplants: like Williamsburg versus Kensington/Ditmas Park).
Thanks in advance for any tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 10:22 AM

276 posts, read 648,872 times
I live 2 blocks from Golden Belt. There are several houses that have been renovated and updated around GB, and most of them are still vacant. The area surrounding GB can be pretty sketchy. We've never had any problems, no break-ins or violence or anything, BUT I also wouldn't go walking alone after dark particularly on some of the streets surrounding us. Golden Belt is a fun and artsy and interesting area and I think there is a ton of potential for it to grow into a really cool spot, but I don't think it's gotten there yet. For perspective, we have had our house on the market, on and off, for a year and a half. We have it listed for significantly lower than we bought it at, and are still unable to sell. If you buy in this area, I'd recommend that you intend to stay there for a few years or accept the fact that resell may be difficult.

I have friends in Cleveland-Holloway, and IMO it much better fits the idea of a "diverse transitioning neighborhood" like you described. The neighborhood looks great and feels much friendlier than GB.

This is all just my opinion, other's mileage may vary. I'm also happy to talk to you via DM if you have more questions about my experience around GB and CH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary