Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 05:19 PM

403 posts, read 930,311 times

Advertisements

There are many in depth questions being answered for newcomers to the Triangle. Here are some basics that can help a would-be transplant..

Q1. How hot are the summers in NC. Do you get a nice fall, and do you see snow?
A: Summers on average are hot and humid. This year has been exceptionally hot, but heat is something you'd better be prepared for if you're going to call NC home. Also--Labor Day doesn't mean summer's over. It typically begins to really cool in early October. It can and usually does snow a couple times a winter...the Triangle shuts it down in this case and most people can't drive in it. Fall and spring are both typically gradual and beautiful. Leaves peak in late October to early November (prettier the further west you go in the metro or the state, IMO).

Q: How close are the NC beaches/mountains?
A: From my house in Western Wake County, I'm at the beach in a touch less than 2 hours. Wrightsville Beach/Wilmington is the closest coastal community to the Triangle. Mountains are about 3 hours away--Boone or Blowing Rock. Asheville and the Outer Banks are about one hour extended--typically worth it however.

Q: What is "the Triangle"?
A: This is the metro area that encompasses the key cities of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. Most people agree the area does not split but is rather one region. Current population estimates show the entire metro around 1.6 million. RTP, or Research Triangle Park, sits between the 3 cities--and serves as the key economic engine in the region. If you're relocating--no you're not moving "to RTP". That just might be where you'll work.

Q: How's cost of living in the Triangle?
A: Depends. If you're coming from the Northeast, California, or Chicago--you will find that your money will go further here. If you're from Pittsburgh, Omaha or Phoenix--you will find that the Triangle is not cheap..it's a relative thing. As the area continues to grow and become more crowded--the Raleigh-Durham area simply won't be as reasonable as it once was.

Q: How are the locals?
A: Well, sorry to dispell perceptions of "Southern Hospitality"--but nobody will bring you a pie the day you move down here! Natives, on the whole, are very friendly and welcoming. Word of caution, however: Southerners are very proud of their home and rightfully so. Criticize anything here and be prepared for the "well 95 does go both ways" comment.

Q: Will moving to Raleigh get me out of this rat race I'm in currently?
A: No. Savannah may do that. Charleston may do that. Heck, Madison, WI might do that. Raleigh is a growing region with the same things you may not like about your current home. We have me first people aplenty here, aggressive drivers, congestion, workaholics...the whole nine. It does tend to be laid back here, though--and the problems aren't as drastic. Maybe it's the nature, but the disposition here is still FAR better than many places up north.

Q: What's a "yankee"?
A: This depends on who you talk to. Some people will call anyone not from the South a yankee. Most refer to it as people from the Northeast. So no--if you're from Detroit or Cleveland, you're a midwesterner...not necessarily a "yankee"..

Q: What's the culture like in Raleigh?
A: It's important to note that Ral-Dur-CH are fundamentally college towns. Having said that, the region has plenty of the big city amenities you might be craving. There's a good music scene here. Full Frame Film festival is the best documentary festival going in the US currently. Good restaurants, ethnic markets, museums, etc. However, if you're looking for a dense San Francisco kind of town--you might need to look elsewhere. Raleigh and Durham are beginning to really bolster their downtowns, and there is more to do here in general than most areas this size. Like any growing area, nothing is static. Raleigh's a mid-sized city today, and growing...probably going to be one pretty big place before too long. When coupled w/ Durham and Chapel Hill you have quite a number of options for entertainment.

Well-those are a few things.
Others can chime in if they like!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 08:21 PM

847 posts, read 3,523,679 times
I made and took pie to our new neighbors. Apple. When we moved in, we got cookies from a neighbor. Another neighbor just brought me a bottle of wine last week, for I know not what and do not question.

Move to Durham, y'all--we'll take care of you.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:34 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,670,651 times
I like your post...there is lots of good information in there....however...I agree with welovedurham, one might just get a pie when they move in.

Someone brought us cookies when we moved it. I've baked loafs of quick breads (like banana breads, or nut bread) to new neighbors...heck, I even brought homemade dog biscuits before and took them to a new neighbor I knew had a dog.

So...yeah....it does happen. Not all the time...but it does.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:09 PM

76 posts, read 393,885 times
I find that incredibly awesome that you guys put forth such an effort.

However, honestly, if I was given stuff by my neighbors I don't think I could eat it. I watch and read to many bad news stories.

I even just bought some oatmeal at a store a couple days ago. I came home to find the seal broken. I threw it out. I am such a paranoid. lol.

I wish I had a friendlier outlook.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:08 PM

847 posts, read 3,523,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtrnr View Post
However, honestly, if I was given stuff by my neighbors I don't think I could eat it. I watch and read to many bad news stories.
I've never read that news story:

Neighborhood Says No to New Neighbor
A HOA concerned with dropping home values took matters into their own hands yesterday. "We saw the pleather recliners and build-your-own furniture on the moving van, and knew this family was going to bring us all down again," said the president from her county cell. "You don't know how hard we worked on our landscaping this summer!" The five officers are alleged to have met on Tuesday morning to make cakes, pies, and cookies with poison-laced sugar. That evening, the officers delivered the goodies to the new family, who were found, with their twin pet ferrets, on the floor in the living room. "Ferrets!" exclaimed the president. Tape at 11.

bwa ha ha

Old 09-11-2007, 07:29 AM

836 posts, read 3,470,692 times
Wow, I never would have thought not to trust food brought by new neighbors! I grew up in the south and we always took fresh made food to new neighbors and I continue to do it as people move into my neighborhood. I did not think it was only Southerners that did this, as I remember seeing people doing it in sitcoms growing up (Leave it to Beaver, etc.) I thought it was just general neighborly-ness.

If it is not happening, then it may just be the people in your neighborhood are new themselves and either think they are "too busy" or they just don't feel enough a part of the neighborhood to be welcoming anybody, not a lack of "southern hospitality". Or maybe, you live next door to someone who would not trust food made by another person, so why would they take some to you (I am still marveling at that!)

Old 09-11-2007, 07:34 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,670,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtrnr View Post
I find that incredibly awesome that you guys put forth such an effort.

I even just bought some oatmeal at a store a couple days ago. I came home to find the seal broken. I threw it out. I am such a paranoid. lol.

I wish I had a friendlier outlook.
Wow….how sad. A Broken Seal at a store…I'd return the item. That is understandable, but people just don't poison new neighbors.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:39 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,344,530 times
Careful on the Northeast comparision. From upstate NY it is more expensive here for food and the variety is less. For taxes its much cheaper but the schools are 'apples' and 'oranges'. You get what you pay for. Gasoline is cheaper but you must travel further to get somewhere unless you live inside the beltline so you may actually be paying more not even counting the wear and tear on your car.

I was in walmart the other day and milk was $4.55 a gallon and we complain about $3.00 gas.

With food prices going up daily how is inflation staying down? Did the govn'ment change the way they measure inflation?

Old 09-11-2007, 07:59 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
Q: Will moving to Raleigh get me out of this rat race I'm in currently?
A: No. Savannah may do that. Charleston may do that. Heck, Madison, WI might do that. Raleigh is a growing region with the same things you may not like about your current home. We have me first people aplenty here, aggressive drivers, congestion, workaholics...the whole nine. It does tend to be laid back here, though--and the problems aren't as drastic. Maybe it's the nature, but the disposition here is still FAR better than many places up north.
I beg to differ on this one. Raleigh is not laid back in the slightest bit. There is a ton of congestion, construction, traffic and growth. Far from laid back. My stress level has risen dramatically since moving here.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:20 AM

836 posts, read 3,470,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I beg to differ on this one. Raleigh is not laid back in the slightest bit. There is a ton of congestion, construction, traffic and growth. Far from laid back. My stress level has risen dramatically since moving here.
I read raleightransplants quote to say that they should NOT expect Raleigh to be laid back. She/he said MAYBE Charleston or Savannah may be, but not Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary