Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:44 AM

6 posts, read 9,248 times

Advertisements

Greetings:

My son (currently in 7th grade) is interested in trying out for his school's football team when he begins 8th grade.

While I feel very positive about him wanting to participate in a school sport and want to be encouraging, I am a little concerned about him playing (risk of injuries, concussions, etc.) with probably the same concerns any other parent has. My son is a good athlete, built pretty solid, and has played on several baseball teams.

Part of my problem is that I have never been to a middle school football game (and there won't be an opportunity to attend one before making my decision), so I really don't know what to expect. Do coaches generally keep things under control? Have you ever been worried for you child's safety while watching the game? If any of you who have had kids playing on a middle school football team have any wisdom or observations to share I would much appreciate it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 10:48 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,916 times
Its nothing to worry about. At all.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:49 AM

202 posts, read 350,582 times
Let the kid play. If he hates it, or doesn't like getting knocked around, he'll quit.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:38 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
How does your kid's size compare to others his age? Size is a big factor in football (hitting and taking hits) and there is obviously a wide range of sizes in kids of middle school age.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:13 PM

I would make a conservative estimate that he is in the top 20% of boys in his grade with regard to height and weight, which I guess is pretty good in terms of him playing.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:59 PM

273 posts, read 912,099 times
It's blisteringly hot during August & September practices. Really. Students need to be prepared and hydrated and observed at all times for heat related illnesses. Coaches are trained in this but parents must be ready to notice and take action if their child is not well.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:17 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Not sure what you mean by "under control"...football is a game where you're fairly likely to be injured. Your son is bigger which I'm sure will help. My nephew broke his arm playing MS football here, but I wouldn't say it's because he was playing for a Wake County school. Be aware that you must provide your own insurance or buy the County's; it is not provided automatically by the schools here.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:08 PM

In terms of "under control" I guess I am just thinking about the competitive nature of the game - and the potential for aggressive behavior when things aren't going well. But I imagine the schools do consider it important to stress good sportsmanship.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:18 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4alark View Post
It's blisteringly hot during August & September practices. Really. Students need to be prepared and hydrated and observed at all times for heat related illnesses. Coaches are trained in this but parents must be ready to notice and take action if their child is not well.
I'd worry more about Summer conditioning sessions, especially in June when it is starting to heat up but the body is not yet acclimated. These are done without the involvement of coaches, so it is critical to teach your children how to take care of themselves.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:34 PM

273 posts, read 912,099 times
Absolutely! We used to drive to practices with no air conditioning to adjust on the way to practice.

I'd worry more about Summer conditioning sessions, especially in June when it is starting to heat up but the body is not yet acclimated. These are done without the involvement of coaches, so it is critical to teach your children how to take care of themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary