Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 AM

229 posts, read 396,186 times

Advertisements

I will likely visit soon and check out the city but here's the pros that I like so far compared to Columbia:

+ Professional Hockey team
+ Other Sports teams (AA baseball)
+ SOUNDS like it's very neat and clean (Columbia has come a long way but too sprawled out! It is somewhat neat and clean but could do better)
+ Love the idea of a thriving downtown, Columbia has two sectors that consist of bars. Have to drive everywhere downtown.
+ Closer proximity to the North
+ About the same distance to the beach (2hrs?)
+ I'm in IT (programmer/web/computers...) so hopefully that would make it easy to land a job.
+ My SO works for a bookstore as Assistant Mgr. I believe she can move up over there...
+ SOUNDS better for us 25 year olds.... a more lively place!
+Lots of trails and outdoor activities? It's way too hot in SC, we play softball for a league but everything is a drive and there's not a lot of bicylcing/jogging around except a few spots. Is there a lot of outdoor integration?

- No more gamecocks! But could drive if I wanted to!
- No nearby rivers? We've been tubing recently in summer and it's pretty fun.

1. Anyone move from Columbia to Raleigh?
2. I have a house here, and with it a lot of furniture. I believe I want to rent this time (but won't have storage for all the house stuff) and get a feel for things and possibly not jump the gun and buy a house. I love my house right now and I should be able to sell at a good price and still make out on it. I'm a good 4 months off before even able to do anything, who knows with this housing market too. I don't want to try and sell when the market sucks.
3. Maybe the grass isn't greener?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 08:06 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,205,563 times
Columbia and Raleigh are both State Capitals that are also university towns. For me, that's a good combination.
That said, I think you'll find Raleigh to be significantly larger, more dynamic, better educated, faster growing and more culturally diverse. I have never lived in Columbia but I have been there on a few occasions.
I'd say that most of your assertions are correct except that there is a river nearby (Neuse River) but I am not sure if there is any tubing on it. The Eno in Durham might be another option for tubing but, again, I'm not sure.

As a part time resident of Downtown, I think you'll find that there's a nice energy brewing there and it's growing by leaps and bounds each year. New restaurants and other venues seem to be opening monthly and there are several more urban apartment projects under construction.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:02 AM

45 posts, read 137,919 times
I travel to Columbia often and the cost of living is much higher here, in my opinion.

However, its hard to argue with the positives you have listed.

We moved here about 4 years ago from Florida which had been home for all of both our lives, my wife and I are both in our mid 40's.

It took some time but we really like it here.

Last edited by Florabama; 06-12-2012 at 09:14 AM..

Old 06-12-2012, 03:47 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,853,675 times
The two cities are indeed very similar, though Raleigh is bigger, but Raleigh is also very sprawling (which you mention as a disadvantage of Columbia). The downtown on Raleigh, while lively and "happening", is pretty small in terms of city blocks (compared to a "real" city) and the majority of Raleigh's square mileage is suburban, not to mention the surrounding cities such as Cary, Apex, Fuquay-Varina, etc that are even more sprawling. You'll discover that when you get here, and you can live near downtown and avoid the sprawl, but just to answer that one point, I'd wager that Raleigh far exceeds Columbia in sprawl, just because the population has grown so much faster.

Also look into Durham while you are checking the area out. It's closer to RTP (where lots of IT jobs are) and more "urban".

Old 06-12-2012, 05:09 PM

149 posts, read 197,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The two cities are indeed very similar, though Raleigh is bigger, but Raleigh is also very sprawling (which you mention as a disadvantage of Columbia). The downtown on Raleigh, while lively and "happening", is pretty small in terms of city blocks (compared to a "real" city) and the majority of Raleigh's square mileage is suburban, not to mention the surrounding cities such as Cary, Apex, Fuquay-Varina, etc that are even more sprawling. You'll discover that when you get here, and you can live near downtown and avoid the sprawl, but just to answer that one point, I'd wager that Raleigh far exceeds Columbia in sprawl, just because the population has grown so much faster.

Also look into Durham while you are checking the area out. It's closer to RTP (where lots of IT jobs are) and more "urban".
While I agree with this and find it to be almost exactly on the money I caution anyone thinking Raleigh is lively and happening if they are comparing it to larger cities. Read this thread for a little first hand experience - Getting bored with Raleigh

There certainly is plenty to do but please do some extensive research and visit often so you know what it is and what it is not.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:43 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,367,522 times
And it's not any cooler than Columbia. Or if it is, it's just like 2 degrees, so don't expect a big change weather wise. It's also slightly farther to the beach. Maybe 2.5 hrs vs 2.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

Clearly the the Triangle is going to eat up more suburban land than Columbia because it's much bigger. That said, the city of Columbia is WAY more sprawled than the city of Raleigh. Columbia's land mass is nearing the land size of Raleigh but with 275,000 fewer residents. Even Cary has more residents than Columbia proper on much less land.
The OP particularly mentioned that he didn't like to drive everywhere downtown (Columbia). So, despite your comparison of DT Raleigh to what you call "a real city", it sounds as if this actually plays to the advantage of the OP. The Downtown Districts are walkable (for walkers...at least for this walker) and what isn't completely walkable is accessible by DT's free circulator bus: the Rline. A great thing about the RLine is that its real time status can be tracked online via a smartphone. So, when you are DT and either can't or don't want to walk, you know exactly when your free ride is going to show up.

As for this assertion that DT Durham is more urban, can you please explain? I have seen this statement from you many times but am curious how you define "more urban" because, frankly, I don't see it as you do.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
And it's not any cooler than Columbia. Or if it is, it's just like 2 degrees, so don't expect a big change weather wise. It's also slightly farther to the beach. Maybe 2.5 hrs vs 2.
Google maps says 2 hours 8 minutes from generic "Raleigh" to generic Wrightsville Beach.
Google maps says 2 hours 16 minutes from generic "Columbia" to generic Isle of Palms, SC.

Weather averages for Summer do show Columbia is consistently about 2-3 degrees hotter than Raleigh. Likewise, Winter days in Columbia are about 5-6 degrees warmer than Raleigh.....Spring and Fall are more moderate in Raleigh than Columbia. For example, Raleigh's average high in May is just over 79 while Columbia's is almost 84.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:43 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,253,435 times
from someone I know who moved from the Triangle to Columbia - he swears however it is, that Columbia is oppressively hotter.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:32 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,367,522 times
My sister married a man from Mississippi and when his family came up to NC for the wedding they thought they were coming to the "north". I think, occasionally, people do have a misconception that because North Carolina has that North in the name it's going to be 70 degrees all summer. Of course the converse of this is people from the north who think that since NC is in the south the temp is going to be like Florida all winter long. I'm sure the OP didn't think there would be that much temp difference, but I really don't think there's enough difference temp wise to really matter, personally.

As far as the time to the beach, it seems like it usually takes me about 2.5 from the time I'm in Raleigh to get to the Wilmington beaches, but ymmv!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary