Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 07:12 AM

12 posts, read 17,746 times

Advertisements

We just moved to NC from AZ. We are actually staying in an RV until we can move into a house. We found one in Rougemont and put an offer on it. I realize it is 'out there' a ways. That's what we were used to when we were in AZ also. Who are the kind of people that live out there? Are there a lot of families or is it older couples or something else? We have three kids so I was curious. I am assuming people go into Durham for necessities. I don't get any phone service at that property which stinks! It also makes me curious as to what people do for Internet/cable, etc. I did a search and some of the posts were years old and wasn't sure what, if anything, has changed. Thanks for any tips you could give me about the area!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 09:35 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Rougemont is still very rural. Your Realtor or the Seller of the home ought to be able to tell you about shopping and utilities.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:48 PM

I realize it is rural, I guess my main question was if there were families there, since I have the three kids..didn't know if it was a big 'family' place or if it was older people or some other such thing. Realtor says the same thing you did...lol. The rest of the questions could be answered by some phone calls I suppose..
Thanks...

Old 07-06-2012, 07:59 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
This info at the link below might help. The bottom of the page lists most-common first names and also last names, and they include the average age of the people with the names -- and they are elderly. Not sure how that relates to the general population. Interesting bunch of data, though.

http://www.city-data.com/zips/27572.html

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 07-06-2012 at 08:08 PM..

Old 07-07-2012, 06:30 AM

Thanks! That does have more info! I had tried getting info with the city name, I guess the truck was using the zip code.. Thanks again!!

Old 07-07-2012, 09:48 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Rougemont is unincorporated and is not a town or a city. It's just a rural community.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:56 AM

47 posts, read 100,232 times
the people that live there are very nice and it would be a appropriate place to raise a family, probably better than inner city places. my dad lives there and loves it, granted you have to drive a ways to get anywhere, but he enjoys the quiet and privacy of living in the country. he travels to either durham or oxford to get what he needs.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:10 PM

37 posts, read 102,521 times
Benbidder- I'm a little late to this thread, but we live in Rougemont, so here's my two cents. As theedeadmau5 said, Rougemont is an appropriate place to raise a family. Unlike closer-in subdivisions where you might expect alot of families with children, Rougemont is very rural and is diverse in the sense that, for example, my wife and I live in Rougemont and have no children. Our neighbor on one side of us has young children, and our neighbors on the other side of our property are a couple in their 80's (with grown children and also grandchildren who live in the area). There are historic homes near us which are rental properties, and there are horse farm properties nearby. There is also a mid to high-end subdivision nearby called Red Mountain. As mentioned above, we too enjoy the quiet and privacy of living in the country. We do our shopping in Durham, and we get our internet service from TimeWarner Cable. The cable TV (and internet) line comes in on phone/powerline poles off of the main road and onto a pole on our property and then is wired down into our house. I don't know that high speed/cable internet is available in most or all parts of Rougemont. There's a county trash dumpster/compactor dropoff near the crossroads (U-S 501 and Bacon Road/Bill Poole Road) and recycling can be dropped there too. Durham County also picks up recycling road-side in front of your house every other week. There's a trash disposal / hauling company out of Hurdle Mills, NC called Clayton and Hurdle. They pick up weekly. Service costs about $50.00/quarterly. There's also a post office just south of that 501/Bill Poole Rd. intersection. We've also found that our cell service isn't great here. We often have to go outside the house to not drop a call. And sometimes they drop anyway (outside). We moved here from rural Florida, and we really like Rougemont. The country lifestyle in Rougemont is similar to that in rural, Old Florida.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:15 PM

Wow!! Thanks so much for your response g dub! This is more than I could have hoped for!! Good to know that there are families out there. We went to visit the house over the weekend and the people next to us we're throwing a bday party for a child so they may have kids or something. We homeschool as well, so I am assuming they will meet kids with that once we get situated.
We will definitely look into the information you wrote, that helps a ton! I can't thank you enough!

Old 07-21-2012, 08:22 PM

37 posts, read 102,521 times
You're welcome, benbidder! (just now seeing your most-recent) Welcome to the neighborhood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary