Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:00 PM

11 posts, read 33,772 times

Advertisements

what is up with the job market around here? i always see a lot of posts regarding people not being able to get jobs. unfortunately i seem to be the next to do so. my wife and i moved here from upstate new york in august for her job and i'm stuck working retail to pay bills. i have a bachelors degree in business administration and have spent my last 5 years in sales. i keep applying to big businesses and i'm either not getting calls back or there's just nobody hiring. i read the raleigh-durham area is in the top 10 in the country for employment but yet nothing. i check out monster.com and careerbuilder .com daily as well as the newspapers. am i doing something wrong or am i not even looking at the right places for jobs? retail unfortunately just isn't cutting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 09:30 PM

86 posts, read 141,943 times
Default hey guy, my heart goes out to you, seriously

Companies are not hiring. They keep constant advertisements in to only keep an eye on the catches, no offense. If a really nice one comes by, they sweep him/her up.

Most big companies are cringing about the economy, afraid to make any advancements towards expansions in any area. They don't want their competition getting a strong hold on them, if they make a poor decision.

The Raleigh job market is saturated with employees. This is the price residents will have to pay for having so much development. It will only get worse with time.

Two months ago I applied to a job in Garner with a pretty decent size company. They were looking to bring in two people. They had well over thirty people come in for an interview in the first week alone, from several different states. They had guys drive down from Maryland, etc. A few guys were from the military with degrees, others were executives, etc.

I was offered the position, however declined due to certain issues. I was testing the water.

Almost two years ago I applied for a decent position with a well known company, one facility located in Wendell, out of all places. The lady called me for a phone interview, we spoke for a while. She and I had a good time on the phone, she said she really liked my personality, etc. She requested for me to come in for a face-to-face interview. I came in a week later and saw several people sitting in the lobby, she apparently was interviewing for several weeks. I was one of dozens she had "carefully" screened over the phone.

This is a very tough area to gain a position with a decent company.

Keep me informed on your situation. There are alot of head hunters out there that will tell you anything you want to hear. They also constantly screen people for fake positions, so they can load their inventory for other positions opening, so they can make quick placements. Works for them, not for you, usually.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:24 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,682,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believerofgod View Post
The Raleigh job market is saturated with employees. This is the price residents will have to pay for having so much development. It will only get worse with time.
I think that is reversed. It is the new jobs that are pumping up the real estate market. Now that the jobs have slowed down, we are seeing slowdown in real estate market.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:10 AM

6 posts, read 13,444 times
Yikes, I just saw this thread and now I'm freaking out a bit. I am a SAHM but my husband is in IT and we are trying to relocate to NC. Maybe this isn't such a good idea

Old 10-01-2007, 12:12 AM

8 posts, read 27,920 times
This is kind of disturbing. I was thinking of moving from Florida to Raleigh - in hopes of finishing my BA at NCSU... also I'm wary of all this talk about the amount of people from the north. I'm not against people from above the MDL but I work with a south florida client base and most of my clients down there are relocated from the north and I have to tell you I'm not really in love with the attitude and just all around general treatment I get and see given on a regular basis. Do they not teach you people a simple thank you goes a long way and the proper response to have "have a nice evening" is "same to you"

sheesh... maybe I won't be moving to Raleigh...

Good luck w/ your job search....

Old 10-01-2007, 05:06 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,345,072 times
I think its just part of the national jobs market slowdown. I had a few people in our subdivision that moved here with no jobs and expected to find a job with about the same pay as they were making in the North East. It did not happen. Some took up to a year to find a job that paid less than they made. Once the growth has slowed down so did the jobs. Good luck with your quest to find a job.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:49 AM

420 posts, read 1,398,053 times
It *might just be who you talk to as well. We were in the job hunt for 4 months before dh found a job in the IT field here. I don't think that's too bad, and I have heard others who had about the same "hunt" time. We stayed put until he landed a postition, then did a whirlwind "We'll be in NC in three weeks" move. It worked for us.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:58 AM

709 posts, read 935,781 times
Heck its hard to get a job at WHOLE FOODS!!! Yes they made you sit in front of a computer and do a 45 min ridiculus inventory then tell ya corporate will review and then they might MIGHT call you for an interview> My hair is not orange and I don't have a stud in my chin, that MIGHT be my problem!!!

Old 10-01-2007, 06:44 AM

174 posts, read 570,519 times
Best Places For Business And Careers - Forbes.com

What the first poster is referring to in the title is that Forbes rated Raleigh as the # 1 place to start a business or career.

"Raleigh, N.C., grabbed the top spot after three years as runner-up in our rankings. Raleigh's economy has expanded 6% annually over the past three years. Helping to fuel this growth are business costs that are 13% below the national average and a labor force where 38% have a college degree--the 12th-highest percentage in the country. Other North Carolina metros that scored well include Durham (ranked seventh), Charlotte (21st), Asheville (23rd) and Winston-Salem (24th)."

The same article links you to the top places for job growth, that is, the # of new jobs. Raleigh doesn't make the top 10 (it's 35th).

The article balances a number of other factors including business cost (labor, tax, energy and office space costs), living costs, (housing, transportation, food and other household expenditures), income growth, migration trends, education of each metro's work force as well as the presence of four-year colleges in each area and quality-of-life issues as crime rates and cultural and recreational opportunities.

So, in my thinking, it may not be the easiest place to find a job tomorrow, but in the long term has very good prospects as a good place to live and work.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:47 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,984,881 times
Yeah, my partner has been looking for a job for the past couple of weeks. Nothing but recruiter calls mostly which has gotten to be quite annoying. She's on a manager's level, mostly for operations which is what her resume states but she has gotten several phone calls from of all things, car dealerships!

Crazy.

Good luck to everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary