Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 01:20 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times

Advertisements

More from the N&O

A movement towards dense development around mass-transit stations, including stores, restaurants and homes alongside offices and laboratories.

New RTP to reflect how people work today - News - NewsObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 07:59 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,171 times
I may be the minority that is a bit sad by this. I love my nice peaceful walks around our campus. It's about 1.5 miles and wooded and serene. Hope that doesn't change!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:15 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsd View Post
I may be the minority that is a bit sad by this. I love my nice peaceful walks around our campus. It's about 1.5 miles and wooded and serene. Hope that doesn't change!
RTP must adapt. Much will remain the same, but some areas will change drastically. It should be a nice balance.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:25 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Quote:
I doubt existing campuses (IBM etc) will be affected by this, though it will give them the flexibility to build closer to the street should they want to expand their campuses on existing land.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,715,503 times
No RTP landowner will be required to sell their excess land. Some might choose to. Deeds for land in RTP require that the RTP Foundation or other tenants get a right of first refusal, but I don't know if that right will be waived going forward. There is so much excess land in the park that the market cannot possibly absorb it all at once. Why so much excess land? There were restrictive covenants on how much floor space could be built on a tract of a given size. This also explains where there are no high-rises in the park proper. If you have to buy a large amount of land to accommodate a fixed number of employees, it's less expensive to build a horizontal building than a vertical building. At least, that's been true until now.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I doubt existing campuses (IBM etc) will be affected by this, though it will give them the flexibility to build closer to the street should they want to expand their campuses on existing land.
I forget what the actual number was but I know I have heard that your lot has to be n amount of green space and it was a very high number. I work at RTI which was the first company in RTP. As it is currently, we have been knocking down old long buildings to build 5 story building to fit our growing population. If they can build on all of their green space, well, they will just for the practicality of it. It does make sense but still makes me sad

Old 10-07-2012, 06:33 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,949 times
Quote:
I forget what the actual number was but I know I have heard that your lot has to be n amount of green space and it was a very high number. I work at RTI which was the first company in RTP. As it is currently, we have been knocking down old long buildings to build 5 story building to fit our growing population. If they can build on all of their green space, well, they will just for the practicality of it. It does make sense but still makes me sad
As an up-until-last-month employee of RTI, I don't think they're planning any massive campus expansions now that the O8/Haynes and O9 buildings are done. In fact, I was located in leased space off-campus, and our group is eventually slated to go into the "O10" building, but there are currently no plans in the works to start construction on that. The RTI Master Plan, as I recall, focuses on replacing buildings on campus without using existing green space.

With that said, I would have welcomed some additional retail options in RTP. With no on-site cafeteria, I either had to brown-bag it every day or drive somewhere for lunch. I could never really understand why Park Center on 54 was so empty except for the few banks that are there, but I guess no one wanted to venture in there as the only retail.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:06 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Most retail people, especially national chains will only go in of there are rooftops nearby. They could kill it at lunch, but everyone goes home at night. It's kind of like a downtown situation. Have to have people living there before much retail will come back.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
The RTI Master Plan, as I recall, focuses on replacing buildings on campus without using existing green space.
That was the plan because it had to be due to RTP rules. I am curious if it will still be the plan I used to work at 300 Park so I can relate.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:12 PM

4,264 posts, read 4,715,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
I could never really understand why Park Center on 54 was so empty except for the few banks that are there, but I guess no one wanted to venture in there as the only retail.
I worked in RTP for most of 1987-2009. The park foundation did renovate the retail center at one point, but to no avail. The park is virtually deserted at night except for the small number of people staying at the Governor's Inn. It was very difficult for a retail business or restaurant to survive on daytime-only business. As apartment buildings and subdivisions were built in Morrisville and south Durham starting in the late 1990s, the level of nighttime activity in the vicinity of the park did increase -- but it was cheaper, less restrictive, and more convenient for retailers and restaurants to build along NC 55 or along NC 54 south of Page Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary