Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 12:17 PM

13 posts, read 50,673 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are trying to decide to either relocate to central PA ( western suburbs of Harrisburg, ..Mechanicsburg) or the Triangle area of NC. We are currently living in northern NJ. I'm curious to know if any of those who relocated to NC considered central PA and if so why they chose NC over PA. What were the pros and cons that went into your decision-making process? Cost of living, jobs, quality of life, schools, weather? We have visited both areas and found each to be very nice. The people are friendly and the cost of homes and property taxes are much more affordable for us than here in NJ. We would like to stay closer to family and friends and this would give PA an advantage over NC. If we ever get a little homesick, we can hop in the car any weekend and come home to visit whereas this wouldnt be possible if we lived in NC. We would also still be within striking distance of NYC. We're also not crazy about NC's hot summers, although its been probably just as hot here in NJ this summer. However, there's something about NC, the people and the southern lifestyle and hospitality that we find very inviting. It would be nice to be relatively close to some nice beaches as well including Myrtle Beach. I love the warm water vs. what we have here at the Jersey shore. Homes are also cheaper than central PA and the taxes are lower as well. Of course, we have to consider more than just the finanicial aspects of such a move. NJ is too expensive, congested and stressful. We dont want to be a part of the rat's race any longer, especially with a baby now. I'd love to hear from all of those who had to make a similar decision. Is it PA or NC? All input and advice is very welcomed! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 01:33 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
We had considered a move to PA as well - but more likely Bucks or Chester County, so not as far west as you are thinking of. We are from Long Island.

Around the time we started thinking of moving to PA, my sister started thinking of moving to FL or NC. Ultimately she chose NC. My parents followed her here. Once she started the process, we put our PA research on hold and started thinking NC.

THe reason we chose PA was the same as you - proximity to family. With that somewhat out of the equation, the move to NC won out. The areas where we were looking in PA were somewhat cheaper than where we lived, property taxes were the big differential but they are higher than NC and depending on where you are they can go up every year (like NY and NJ). I, personally, really wanted to get off Long Island for many reasons, #1 and #2 being dealing with the LI attitude and getting of the Island to go ANYWHERE which had become a massive pain in the arse.

Don't kid yourself - summer is hotter here than NJ, no question about it. I find it less humid than Long Island (although this summer's been worse than usual IMHO). The other 3 seasons are great - spring starts in February and fall lasts until the end of November. The sun sits higher in the sky so it's stronger in the summer....which is thru September....but also means you don't get that wan winter light.

It's a much less stressful environment down here - I mean, the traffic here in the middle of the day is what I'd usually encounter on LI in the middle of the night. It's really crazy going back there - my husband always says "how did we last here so long?!"

Good luck with your decision!

Old 08-04-2012, 05:49 PM

294 posts, read 829,298 times
I've never understood NY/NJ folks saying it's more humid there. This is one of the sillier things relocated yanks claim when they come down. (That and everyone in the North knows how to drive in snow)..........

Anyways, I have no feedback on PA vs. NC as I'm biased towards one.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:07 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
I lived all my life in PA, used to work in Mechanicsburg, lived in Lebanon until we moved to Cary in 1997.

PA is OK. Never did me wrong. We moved to see something different.
I much prefer the climate here.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:35 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
I grew up in Pennsylvania - outside of Philadelphia, so I am pretty familiar with PA overall, even though I have never lived near Harrisburg. I moved to the DC area after college and lived there 22 years before coming here 6 months ago. Here is my opinion on it. I'm assuming you work from home and the job situation will be the same in either place. If that's not a correct assumption, then my opinion might change:

-Both Mechanicsburg and the Triangle are going to be a lot slower pace of life than living in North Jersey.
-Both places will also be a lot cheaper than North Jersey.
-PA will feel a lot more like "home" than NC will. In other words, there are a lot more similarities between PA and NJ than between NC and NJ. Something as simple as the news stations, for example, in Pennsylvania, you'll hear more about New York and NJ happenings/sports teams, etc. than you would here. North Carolina has a real definite southern culture feel about it. You may like or it may make you feel homesick.
-PA will definitely get the plus for being close to family. If you have a baby, then it will be real hard to move away. I had all of my children while living in VA - about 3 hours from my parents. I got no help on a regular basis. But for a big event, like an overnight wedding, my parents were able to come down and babysit my kids. Obviously, that cannot happen living in NC. Also, if you have extended family, you will miss more events if you live down here. Brother's graduation? Forget about going. Niece turns 16? You'll probably miss it. You're looking at a 9-hour car drive up to New Jersey. That means taking a day off work on Friday to drive up - getting up there late, spending Saturday there, and leaving early on Sunday to come home or taking another day off work. When the baby is 5, that will mean taking off a day or two of school or planning visits around vacations. From Harrisburg, you're looking at probably a 3 hour drive. Totally doable without taking off any work or school.
-Job Market. I have to believe the job market is better here than in Harrisburg. And I'd guess this area is younger and more up-and-coming. So if future job prospects figure into the equation, then Triangle wins on that front.
-The Triangle is likely more transient than Harrisburg. I imagine you will mostly meet PA natives in central PA. It's not a big draw for outsiders. The one thing I've learned about PA is this: people are born there, they live there, and they die there. It's very true for the Philly area. I imagine it's more true for central PA. The Triangle, on the other hand, is filled with people from all over. Plus or minus? You decide.
-Weather. If you like warmer weather, then NC definitely wins. You will probably have similar weather in Central PA as you did in North Jersey. As Twingles said, winter is shorter here. Summer has been very humid. While summers are hot and humid in PA, they are worse here. Winters will be worse in PA, obviously. Plus or minus?
-Location. From Harrisburg, you are within a good distance to visit major cities - NYC, DC, Philly, etc. Here there are no big cities nearby. DC is 4 1/2 hours. Atlanta is 6. Don't know if that matters.
-Beach is about 2 1/2 hours from here. From Central PA, it's more like 3 1/2 hours, I believe. So NC wins on that front, plus it's a longer season here. Although Central PA is closer to the Jersey Shore. And I don't care what anybody says, nothing compares to the Jersey Shore , especially if you grew up going there.

Overall, North Carolina will be a BIGGER move in my opinion. You will be going farther away and to a different region. If you are up for a big change then choose NC. If you are looking for a lower cost of living, relatively close to home, move to PA.
-

Old 08-04-2012, 06:54 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NC View Post
I've never understood NY/NJ folks saying it's more humid there. This is one of the sillier things relocated yanks claim when they come down..
Why do you say that, New Hampshire to North Carolina? Spent any time on Long Island?

My mom is a NH native who spent almost 50 years on LI, complaining every summer, all summer, about the humidity on LI. She says NC has nothing on it.

But, I guess it's just a silly claim from people who've actually lived both places.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:53 PM

Great answers guys!! Please keep them coming!

Old 08-04-2012, 08:08 PM

Thanks for taking the time to give such a thorough and thoughtful response to my post! As far as the job market, if you are correct that its better in the Triangle than in Harrisburg, I would be concerned since my husband would need to find work in PA. He is a staff accountant. I know the current unemployment rate is 9.4% in NC vs. 7.5 % in PA. I dont know if there are more accounting/finance jobs in the Triangle area vs. Harrisburg. It would be good to know. As far as everything else you said, it totally was spot on and resonated with me and my feelings. If the cost of living and quality of life is about equal in both places then along with its proximity to family, PA has the edge over NC at this time. I actually prefer the northern climate. I'm a big snow lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I grew up in Pennsylvania - outside of Philadelphia, so I am pretty familiar with PA overall, even though I have never lived near Harrisburg. I moved to the DC area after college and lived there 22 years before coming here 6 months ago. Here is my opinion on it. I'm assuming you work from home and the job situation will be the same in either place. If that's not a correct assumption, then my opinion might change:

-Both Mechanicsburg and the Triangle are going to be a lot slower pace of life than living in North Jersey.
-Both places will also be a lot cheaper than North Jersey.
-PA will feel a lot more like "home" than NC will. In other words, there are a lot more similarities between PA and NJ than between NC and NJ. Something as simple as the news stations, for example, in Pennsylvania, you'll hear more about New York and NJ happenings/sports teams, etc. than you would here. North Carolina has a real definite southern culture feel about it. You may like or it may make you feel homesick.
-PA will definitely get the plus for being close to family. If you have a baby, then it will be real hard to move away. I had all of my children while living in VA - about 3 hours from my parents. I got no help on a regular basis. But for a big event, like an overnight wedding, my parents were able to come down and babysit my kids. Obviously, that cannot happen living in NC. Also, if you have extended family, you will miss more events if you live down here. Brother's graduation? Forget about going. Niece turns 16? You'll probably miss it. You're looking at a 9-hour car drive up to New Jersey. That means taking a day off work on Friday to drive up - getting up there late, spending Saturday there, and leaving early on Sunday to come home or taking another day off work. When the baby is 5, that will mean taking off a day or two of school or planning visits around vacations. From Harrisburg, you're looking at probably a 3 hour drive. Totally doable without taking off any work or school.
-Job Market. I have to believe the job market is better here than in Harrisburg. And I'd guess this area is younger and more up-and-coming. So if future job prospects figure into the equation, then Triangle wins on that front.
-The Triangle is likely more transient than Harrisburg. I imagine you will mostly meet PA natives in central PA. It's not a big draw for outsiders. The one thing I've learned about PA is this: people are born there, they live there, and they die there. It's very true for the Philly area. I imagine it's more true for central PA. The Triangle, on the other hand, is filled with people from all over. Plus or minus? You decide.
-Weather. If you like warmer weather, then NC definitely wins. You will probably have similar weather in Central PA as you did in North Jersey. As Twingles said, winter is shorter here. Summer has been very humid. While summers are hot and humid in PA, they are worse here. Winters will be worse in PA, obviously. Plus or minus?
-Location. From Harrisburg, you are within a good distance to visit major cities - NYC, DC, Philly, etc. Here there are no big cities nearby. DC is 4 1/2 hours. Atlanta is 6. Don't know if that matters.
-Beach is about 2 1/2 hours from here. From Central PA, it's more like 3 1/2 hours, I believe. So NC wins on that front, plus it's a longer season here. Although Central PA is closer to the Jersey Shore. And I don't care what anybody says, nothing compares to the Jersey Shore , especially if you grew up going there.

Overall, North Carolina will be a BIGGER move in my opinion. You will be going farther away and to a different region. If you are up for a big change then choose NC. If you are looking for a lower cost of living, relatively close to home, move to PA.
-

Old 08-04-2012, 08:27 PM

Thanks twingles for sharing your thoughts and for shedding some light. This is a big decision and all the input, insight and advice I can get sure helps! I totally agree with you about getting away from the craziness and attitude of LI and in our case northern NJ. We have to escape NJ for our emotional, spiritual and financial well being. We've been to the Triangle several times over the years and always remark how friendly everyone is and how much less traffic there is than up here. I actually prefer the weather up here since the summers are not as hot and because I am a big snow lover. As of this moment, I would favor PA because of its proximity to family and friends. I dont know how the 2 job markets compare and ofcourse that's a biggie. My husband is in the accounting field so I dont know how both states measure up in that respect except that the unemployment rate is higher in NC vs. PA, but I dont know if there are more accounting/finance opportunities in the Harrisburg area vs. the Triangle. I do believe single family homes are more expensive in the Harrisburg area vs. the Triangle. We were looking at homes in Clayton/Garner that were running 150-175K vs. 235 - 250K for something equivalent in central PA. Property taxes are also higher in PA vs. NC, but either is much better than here in north NJ. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
We had considered a move to PA as well - but more likely Bucks or Chester County, so not as far west as you are thinking of. We are from Long Island.

Around the time we started thinking of moving to PA, my sister started thinking of moving to FL or NC. Ultimately she chose NC. My parents followed her here. Once she started the process, we put our PA research on hold and started thinking NC.

THe reason we chose PA was the same as you - proximity to family. With that somewhat out of the equation, the move to NC won out. The areas where we were looking in PA were somewhat cheaper than where we lived, property taxes were the big differential but they are higher than NC and depending on where you are they can go up every year (like NY and NJ). I, personally, really wanted to get off Long Island for many reasons, #1 and #2 being dealing with the LI attitude and getting of the Island to go ANYWHERE which had become a massive pain in the arse.

Don't kid yourself - summer is hotter here than NJ, no question about it. I find it less humid than Long Island (although this summer's been worse than usual IMHO). The other 3 seasons are great - spring starts in February and fall lasts until the end of November. The sun sits higher in the sky so it's stronger in the summer....which is thru September....but also means you don't get that wan winter light.

It's a much less stressful environment down here - I mean, the traffic here in the middle of the day is what I'd usually encounter on LI in the middle of the night. It's really crazy going back there - my husband always says "how did we last here so long?!"

Good luck with your decision!

Old 08-04-2012, 08:37 PM

Thanks Mike! How often do you get back to PA? What can you tell me about Mechanicsburg and that area. I'm taking a trip out there next week to meet with some recruiters and to look at some properties in Mechancisburg, New Cumberland and Lower Allen. We visited the area a few years ago and we liked what we saw and how nice the people were. In what ways do you like NC better than PA besides the climate. I actully prefer the winters up here. That's the snow lover in me talking. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I lived all my life in PA, used to work in Mechanicsburg, lived in Lebanon until we moved to Cary in 1997.

PA is OK. Never did me wrong. We moved to see something different.
I much prefer the climate here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary