Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 05:20 PM

5 posts, read 7,849 times

Advertisements

Hey all!
My boyfriend and I have lived in Morrisville for the past year at Camden Westwood apartments and are looking to move in October. We want a newer property (not more than 10 or so years old) and don't want to pay more than about $950 a month. We visited the Legends at Preston and seemed impressed, but the reviews are terrible online and are unsure about where else may be a good match. Anyone know of anything independent, maybe not such a big apartment complex or maybe a townhouse? Suggestions would really be a help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 09:18 PM

683 posts, read 1,885,051 times
My sister and her husband live at Legends at Preston and they hate it there. They can hear every noise their neighbors make, both upstairs and next door. She has to wear ear plugs to sleep because the guy next door snores. They can hear conversations word for word when they are sitting in their living room and their upstairs neighbors are talking.

It seems that newer apartments have poorer insulation and are not built as sturdy as older apartments.

To be fair though, the complex is clean and safe and if it wasn't for the noise issues they would probably really like it there.

I live in Brampton Moors and love it here, but it is much older and doesn't meet your criteria.

Online apartment reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt. Brampton Moors has many negative reviews but I have lived here for three years and have never experienced any of the issue people complain about there, and everyone I know here loves it as much as I do.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:23 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
I think the Legends at Preston are more than 10 years old. Maybe not too much more though, but a bit older than your current place I think. To find something newer, you'll need to go over on 55 as there are several complexes built in the last 2-7 years over there.

Unless you are in a really old complex, like 50 years and it's all masonry, there's little difference in the way apartments are constructed in the last 30 years. If its a large building with a masonry firewall and you are lucky enough to be beside it that will help cut out some of the noise but hearing neighbors is just a way of life in an apartment. I always made sure I was top floor or bottom but never in a middle floor. At least that also cuts out some noise.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:05 AM

173 posts, read 313,056 times
Check out Chancery Village at the corner of 55 and Kit Creek. I lived there for a year when I first moved down here and only left because I bought a house. The apartments are practically brand new (when I moved-in in June 2011, I was the first person to live in mine), and have great amenities. The price is a little on the high side, though. I never had a problem with noise - occasionally I would hear a loud noise, like if someone dropped something upstairs, but definitely never heard conversations or other normal-level sounds.

EDIT: The only downside is that you are kind of far from everything. I work in RTP so the commute was great, but you have to drive at least 10 minutes to get to any shopping or entertainment.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:38 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback so far! I know we are pretty picky and it's a lot harder to find places that fit our preferences. Yeah from what I know about Legends at Preston, they are about 12 years old. Thanks for the input-- does anyone know how I might go about finding information on private leasing opportunities other than craigslist?

Old 08-12-2012, 06:55 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Drive through Breckenridge or Twin Lakes. Both have good sized townhome neighborhoods and there are bound to be some signs out.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:58 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,731 times
What about Weston Lakeside Apartments? Relatively new, right on black creek greenway.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:59 AM

143 posts, read 385,484 times
Grace Park is an option too. We rented in the garden apartments for a year after we sold our house and it was great - no noise like the online reviews say. One thing I should mention, because they are more "urban" there is no pool or workout room.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:58 PM

thanks for all of the responses! we decided on tradition at stonewater for the proximity to work for both of us and the price for what we are getting. will be looking for a house in a year though, so any areas that are awesome that anyone would like to share about are welcome!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary