Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:14 PM

127 posts, read 215,992 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give some insight to the new homes being built in Sunset Oaks? Specifically, how are the builders, will the 540 be an issue, and from what Google Earth shows - are there high tension power lines visible behind Wanderview Lane? I would also be interested to know if the neighborhood is friendly and I assume full of kids? Also, how is Devil's Ridge? I appreciate any info - we are looking to relocate and think this may be the area for us. We didn't see these homes on our last visit but plan to come down this month. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 07:36 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,595 times
We just moved to Sunset Oaks. Lots of families and very friendly. The power lines are low and hidden by trees in the summer, in the winter, they are more visible, but not towering. We chose a lot across the street from those backing to the lines and cannot see any lines or towers. Can't say for sure what we may see in the winter, but when we were out here in January we couldn't see them. You might see the towers depending on your lot.

The lots in these pics back directly to the power lines (Middlegreen Place). Some of these houses can see the lines from their backyard, some cannot. I'm not sure about the houses on Wanderview specifically as I've never paid attention to the lines when I've been on that street, but our a portion of our street backs to Wanderview so I imagine the view is comparable. Most of the lots available on Wanderview are perpendicular to the portion of Wanderview that back to the lines. I'll head over there and get some pics tomorrow for you. I can't remember any lots being available that back to the power lines.

ETA: 540 will be going in about a mile and a half north of the far back section of Sunset Oaks. I imagine we may hear some sound in the evenings/at night when it is quiet, but certainly not roaring by. The nearest on ramps are supposed to be at Kildaire Farm Rd where KDF dead ends at Holly Springs Rd. That is about 2 1/2 miles from here.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:22 PM

This is great! Thank you so much! So friendly already! I would LOVE to see any pics - especially of the homes and neighborhood. I really appreciate it! Any other info you can share on the neighborhood and schools would also be great. My son will be entering 6th grade and wonder if everyone goes to the same school even with the choice program. We would choose traditional calendar and I think that would be Holly Ridge MS?

Old 08-13-2012, 09:07 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,582,612 times
I540 is always subject to change, as much as they say it's all decided up. In my paranoid opinion.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM

I think it is just the section through Garner that is the big issue. The HS corridor seems pretty set. But, like you said, you never know. Just so long as I'm not seeing cars and truck zip by my yard (which couldn't happen), I'm fine with it.

OP, I'm not familiar with the middle schools as we're not there quite yet. We'd choose year round anyway. I'll get some street scape pics of Wanderview for you and specifically get any shots of visible power lines. We chose our lot because we didn't want to back directly onto the lines.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:02 PM

Homes on Wanderview. Between the house on 500 and their next door neighbor, you can really clearly see the power line tower. I *think* there may be one lot left that backs to it, but all the other available houses are on the part of Wanderview perpendicular to that part of the street and no towers are visible (in the summer at least).

Old 08-14-2012, 02:07 PM

Power lines are behind the trees. I don't know if the lines are visible in the winter, or not, but they aren't 100% visible in the summer. Only in spots. This space is directly in front of the lines.

A culdesac along Wanderview:

These lots are off Middlegreen by Garman Homes. There is 1 lot left that backs to the lines and 3 more that don't back up to the lines. The lines and towers are somewhat visible from the backyards of these lots. Depends on the lot.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:46 PM

These photos are fantastic! We can't wait to get down there next week and look around. You went above and beyond - thank you so very much! We are so excited!

Old 08-14-2012, 07:32 PM

43 posts, read 127,423 times
We just moved into a house on Briarburn (which is surrounded by Wanderview) in early June. My block is in one of the pictures, though Wanderview is the most cockamamie street, the way it winds around and back on itself. In fun, the neighborhood has started referring to sections of it as Wanderview East, West, North, and South. This neighborhood is teeming with families. It's been really great for our kids. The neighbors are friendly and socially active. We participated in a huge annual 4th of July party in the cul de sac, and just had about 25 neighbors over for our daughter's 8th birthday.

Our particular house was built by J Scott (one of 4 or so builders who are building in this part of Sunset Oaks), and so far so good with both the quality and their follow-up.
Once the construction ends, traffic and noise should be strictly neighborhood only and very minimal. We play cornhole and frisbee out there, and the kids run around in the street pretty freely now.

I'm not sure what maps of 540 are out there, but the latest I've seen (and the way construction appears to be going), the nearest on-ramp to Sunset Oaks doesn't seem to be near Kildaire and HS Road. It actually appears to be going in near where Sunset Lake dead ends into the 55 bypass, just north of Old Smithfield Road. It would take some effort (and some serious eminent domain) to build all the way to Kildaire. The maps show 540 as being west of the 55 bypass until Old Smithfield, and freeway noise would be highly unlikely here.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:57 AM

Currently, 540 will end at 55 where it splits with business 55 at the beginning of next year. In the future, when 540 swings through Holly Springs, the on ramps will be at Bells Lake Rd and near where Kildaire Farm and Holly Springs Rds intersect...at least they way the have it planned now. If you see an arial view, there is a pretty clear place for 540 to go all the way up to Bells Lake Rd with just a few mobile homes near KDF and HS Rds that would need to come out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary