Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 06:24 AM

23 posts, read 177,966 times

Advertisements

Are there any Newfie owners on this board? I am interested in adding a Newfie to my family and would really appreciate recommendations for breeders in the area. I am certainly willing to travel outside of the Triangle if necessary. Thanks so much in advance!

Old 10-05-2007, 07:26 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
In case you don't get a better response:
We found our Havanese breeder on puppydogweb.net. I looked at Newfoundland breeders and only found one in NC (in Vale). Obviously with the potential health problems with Newfoundlands is very important to get one from a good breeder. Here's the link for the Southeastern Newfoundland Club. Maybe someone there can recommend a local breeder.
SENC Home Page (http://www.senewfs.com/senchome.htm - broken link)
Hopefully someone can give you more specific information, but if not this may help. Good luck.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:30 AM

The Newfoundland Club of America lists three breeders in NC. There's on in Raleigh.

NCA Breeders North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon (http://www.ncanewfs.org/breeders/breederlist0506NCOR.html#northcarolina - broken link)

Old 10-05-2007, 07:32 AM

579 posts, read 2,863,856 times
Perhaps you would consider a rescue? They are purebred and just need a loving home. Here is the info for a rescue group in NC.

Newfs In Need
Jackie Goertz
(919)782-9312
E-Mail: NEWFSTUFF@earthlink.net

Old 10-05-2007, 07:38 AM

Thanks so much! I had trouble finding any "recommended" breeders in NC from the Newfoundland Club of America and will try the SENC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
In case you don't get a better response:
Obviously with the potential health problems with Newfoundlands is very important to get one from a good breeder.
Just curious... when researching dogs, did you find that Newfies' potential health problems were more severe than those for other purebred breeds?

Old 10-05-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriangleBlackCat View Post
Thanks so much! I had trouble finding any "recommended" breeders in NC from the Newfoundland Club of America and will try the SENC.

Just curious... when researching dogs, did you find that Newfies' potential health problems were more severe than those for other purebred breeds?
My parents best friends when I was a child had two. They were wonderful dogs. They both had fairly serious health problems, but that's sort of a small sample size. If you have a vet, you might want to ask them. They might tell you certain genetic tests that you want to make sure the breeder performs on the parents. We have a Bichon and a Havanese (we like to travel with our dogs and I'm not a huge fan of dog hair). The Bichon has tons of medical problems. She's not even six and has had bladder surgery, tooth extractions and a cataract. Apparently these are pretty common Bichon problems, but if I'd found a better breeder I might have a healthier dog--not that I'd trade her. The Havanese came from a reputable breeder with champion blood lines. She cost more, but I'm hoping I'll spend a lot less on vet bills.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:49 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriangleBlackCat View Post

All large breed dogs are prone to certain health issues - hip problems especially - make SURE you only purchase from OFA Certified Code of Ethics breeders.

Do NOT ever purchase from puppy mills or puppy stores that use bogus registry initials to impress the uneducated.

Also - take into consideration that the larger the dog the slower they are to mature - so training lasts YEARS not months.

I would contact the national breed club

Welcome to the Newfoundland Club of America

to get the whole story.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:03 AM

Thanks, everyone - I appreciate the help! I have done my research and know the health problems associated with Newfs... which is why I am trying to find a reputable breeder to minimize risk. I never thought of rescuing a Newf - something to look into!

Old 10-06-2007, 05:09 PM

492 posts, read 2,108,381 times
WHOA, folks!

(First, my credentials: I've been involved with dogs and the AKC for more than 30 years, breeding, training and showing (in the top 10) a sporting breed).

There is no such thing as an "OFA Certified Code of Ethics Breeder." Apples and lima beans are being mixed here.

OFA and PennHip are two different ways, both well established, for screening for hip displaysia. Make sure any large dog you get has at least TWO GENERATIONS of good or excellent hip screening behind it. DEMAND to see the certificates. If there are other known health issues (eg., von Willibrands disease in poodles) ask for evidence of health screenings.

"Code of Ethics" are established by each breed club -- the Dalmatian Club of America, the Poodle Club of America, etc. In general they are not binding on members, but represent guidelines. You can be a member of my national breed club, breed and register pups with the AKC, and ignore every clause of the Code of Ethics. It is not enforceable.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Contact the national breed club and the regional or local breed clubs for information on health issues (every breed has them -- we're all working from small gene pools) and breeder referrals.

Vets do not generally know about the specific genetic/health problems of the 250+ breeds recognized by the AKC. At best they will just grab a book from a shelf. The national breed club usually has a delegate to the AKC's Canine Health Foundation, and lots of breed-specific health information available.

Ask if there are guarantees with the puppy and a sales contract. If there is a contract, make sure you are comfortable with the contract BEFORE you snuggle the little balls of fluff, because it is difficult to walk away.

You are making an expensive, 12-year commitment. Do your homework, and it will work out well.

(OK, off my soapbox now.)

Old 03-09-2008, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 9,440 times
Default Newfie Breeders

We got our newfie in Burlington form a TERRIBLE breeder. She has had many health problems but is the most precious newf in this world. We love her to death and would not trade a second with her but have hated to watch her suffer due to bad breeding. Please be very careful choosing a breeder and make sure that you really want a newf. Our newfie is a therapy dog adn lives to be loved.

[MOD] removed [/MOD]
Good Luck!
Kim

Last edited by autumngal; 03-09-2008 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: see TOS why please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary