Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 08:07 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times

Advertisements

I'm in the market to buy a English Bulldog puppy. Any info on local breeders and general price range? Any overall info would help.

Any local breeders I need to stay away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 08:59 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
So You Think You Want An English Bulldog? Problems

Note that this article is from 2007. The overbreeding has caused these problems to become terribly common.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:44 AM

150 posts, read 233,322 times
I'd have to second the opinion to think really deeply about getting this breed. They are a veterinarian's kids' college fund on four legs. Lots of health issues and not very long-lived. (I've been around family who owned these dogs for over forty years.)

Try the AKC site if you're set on this breed, and consider also bulldog rescues. There's one down in Sanford where my hair stylist got her latest. Also, the animal hospital near Cary Parkway on Kildaire Farm Rd I've been told specializes in English bulldogs. They probably have breeders who are clients.

Remember, they're all C-sectioned births; females can't even birth their own puppies due to the genetic manipulations to their head size. That means expenses just to have a litter born. For a quality purebred, I'd guess at least two thousand; a pet quality, maybe 1200.

Good luck!

Old 03-21-2015, 11:53 AM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Should you decide on this breed, make certain whatever breeder you choose keeps health records of the previous litters that go back several years. They suffer from a myriad of issued. I would NOT use a "backyard" breeder for this breed!!!

Old 03-21-2015, 12:41 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatkay View Post
For a quality purebred, I'd guess at least two thousand; a pet quality, maybe 1200.
There were a couple puppies at the SPCA last year, from one of the puppy mill busts. I had no idea how expensive they were. People were falling over each other trying to adopt them as were purebred.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:08 PM

347 posts, read 521,726 times

My $0.02

Old 03-21-2015, 01:15 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I'm in the market to buy a English Bulldog puppy. Any info on local breeders and general price range? Any overall info would help.

Any local breeders I need to stay away from?
Be smart and responsible...only deal with AKC registered English Bullies and breeders. This breed has enough 'bad' traits already to just buy any dog. I will stop there as today is NOT my day for a soap box.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:19 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatkay View Post
I'd have to second the opinion to think really deeply about getting this breed. They are a veterinarian's kids' college fund on four legs. Lots of health issues and not very long-lived. (I've been around family who owned these dogs for over forty years.)

Try the AKC site if you're set on this breed, and consider also bulldog rescues. There's one down in Sanford where my hair stylist got her latest. Also, the animal hospital near Cary Parkway on Kildaire Farm Rd I've been told specializes in English bulldogs. They probably have breeders who are clients.

Remember, they're all C-sectioned births; females can't even birth their own puppies due to the genetic manipulations to their head size. That means expenses just to have a litter born. For a quality purebred, I'd guess at least two thousand; a pet quality, maybe 1200.

Good luck!
YES! there are many Bullie rescues...some on Facebook, too...I am not where I can get to that at the moment. PLEASE, think RESCUE as people get these dogs and when they get 'cherry eye' or skin problems they dump them off or sell them to another who can't afford their VET bills. It's never ending with many of this breed. I love them but would not own one.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:00 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times
I've heard this breed has issues,but now I'm worried. I wouldn't want to have to deal with never ending health issues.

Maybe I need to go to the pound and rescue a mutt puppy.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:50 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I've heard this breed has issues,but now I'm worried. I wouldn't want to have to deal with never ending health issues.

Maybe I need to go to the pound and rescue a mutt puppy.
Yes, that's *exactly* what you should do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary