Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 05:10 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,477 times

Advertisements

Our newly adopted cat Maggie left this morning and has not returned. She's an indoor/outdoor cat and was slowly adapting to our yard. She ran off this morning before she ate and has not responded to her known calls. We live in Brookstone, and our yard backs to the road that connects to Westpark. Maggie is friendly, black with just a tiny bit of white on her chest, and she has a very fuzzy tail. She was wearing a collar with a name tag that contains our phone number and address, and she has a microchip should she end up somewhere injured or at shelter. However, we are hoping to find her the old fashioned way... by looking. Should you see her please call us at (919)363-4261. She'll respond to her name or the sound of a fork hitting a can.

Thanks! Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 07:15 PM

Ahh, we have a happy ending. She showed up at 9:00pm.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:18 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,064,782 times
I hope you find your cat. One thing that I did was go out late at night and leave small amounts of food in a large area around my house. The smell helps bring your cat back if they are lost or disoriented. My cat was gone for a few days and came back after I started doing that. I can't be entirely sure that was the only reason, but I believed it helped. After talking to a few neighbors, I believe my cat was never more than a few blocks away. I would ask neighbors to check any crawlspaces, basements (if there are any) or garages.

Of course, there is the obvious step of posting flyers and talking to neighbors, and posting on message boards. I assume you've called around to all the shelters and rescue places in case someone finds her. I know she is chipped but sometimes calling around is a good idea anyway.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:21 PM

6 posts, read 11,425 times
Thanks for updating! It's always nice to hear a happy ending.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:42 PM

554 posts, read 1,155,191 times
So glad she made it home!!

Old 09-20-2012, 08:15 PM

328 posts, read 767,491 times
What a pretty girl. I'm glad she made it home safely. Something to keep in mind is around Halloween black cats tend to go missing because bad people do things to them. I know animal shelters tend to not allow the adoptions of black cats for about 6 weeks before Halloween for that reason.

Last edited by redandorangeskittles; 09-20-2012 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: I'm a cat mom too!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:26 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,189,828 times
She's adorable! I'm glad she came back home! I had a strictly indoor cat go missing for 3 weeks a few years ago. It was terrible not knowing where she was or if she was okay. She was known as "adventure kitty" after she decided to return.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:27 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,427,763 times
Thanks for updating us!! Glad she is home, safe and sound.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:53 AM

Thanks all! She showed up just as the kids were going to bed so it made for a happy night after all. We had fears of letting an outside cat have freedom in a new area but with her coming home we know she has the homing capability. Today she is just hanging around the deck under watchful eyes and has not displayed any desire to go further or stay out for more than a few minutes. We like that approach!

Old 09-21-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I hope you find your cat. One thing that I did was go out late at night and leave small amounts of food in a large area around my house. The smell helps bring your cat back if they are lost or disoriented. My cat was gone for a few days and came back after I started doing that. I can't be entirely sure that was the only reason, but I believed it helped. After talking to a few neighbors, I believe my cat was never more than a few blocks away. I would ask neighbors to check any crawlspaces, basements (if there are any) or garages.

Of course, there is the obvious step of posting flyers and talking to neighbors, and posting on message boards. I assume you've called around to all the shelters and rescue places in case someone finds her. I know she is chipped but sometimes calling around is a good idea anyway.
Thanks Zitsky. We left a pillow pet outside, one that she adopted on my daughter's bed.
We put out a notice in our community Yahoo group, put up posters, neighbors volunteered to knock on doors in our neighborhood to let them know, and we contacted the people who monitor the microchip. They have an email notification set up for all area vets/shelters as well as other pet owners that are part of the microchip program. We also walked around in the dark with flashlights looking for reflective eyes in hiding. Even dove into her psyche Recovery Tips: Displaced Cat Behavior | Missing Pet Partnership
Being that she won't venture out too far today we suspect that something spooked her and she hunkered down somewhere nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary