Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:11 PM

25 posts, read 49,416 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Raleigh/Wake Forest area and have 5 dogs. I am researching neighborhoods to determine ones that have restrictions on the number of dogs. The covenants for The Preserve at Smith Creek reads

[SIZE=3]"No more than two animals of a large species shall be allowed on any lot. No animal shall be allowed to roam and all animals shall at all time be appropriately penned. No animals, livestock or poultry of any kind shall be raise or bred on the herein conveyed lots, except that dogs, cats, or any other household pet may be kept on any lot so long as sanitary conditions are maintained and they are not kept, bred or maintained for any commercial purpose.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]All pets shall be kept in compliance with Granville County animal control laws. Pets shall be kept so that they shall not be a nuisance, danger or annoyance to other Lot Owners."[/SIZE]

So my question is, does the limit of two animals of "large species" refer to dogs or are they talking about horses or something? I would think if it were dogs, they would say large breed rather than species. This just seemed to be worded so strangely, I'm not sure what they are referring to. Is anyone one familiar with The Preserve at Smith Creek? I have sent an e-mail to the HOA contact on their website, but have gotten no response.
Also, a couple of other subdivisions, namely Kimmon Place and Clear Springs, refer to a "reasonable" number of household pets. Any idea what is considered reasonable? I know 5 seems like alot, but I have neighbors where I am now that have 7 or 8, so it's hard for me to judge.
Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 04:03 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Humans are animals and pretty large.

I think you really need to get clarification from the board or management comany in writing on this. Who knows how it may be interpreted 10 years from now and that seems pretty loosely worded.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:24 AM

441 posts, read 1,291,912 times
I was looking at some house's there a few weeks ago and do notice a family working in the yard with three large dogs running around there yard, these rules maybe loosely inforced

Old 09-25-2012, 06:00 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Yes that is poorly worded. Do they even allow animals like horses in the first place? Personally I would contact them directly to ask your question: Preserve at Smith Creek - Contact Us

Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I have clients that live there and they have 2 dogs. I don't know if having 5 would be an issue or not. I'd be happy to call them to ask if they know of any instances where someone has had problems or if they know of anyone that has that many dogs. Just let me know if you'd like for me to do that.

Otherwise, I'd suggest (as others have mentioned) that you should call and speak directly to the HOA. Always best to go to the direct source!

Vicki

Old 09-25-2012, 08:48 PM

Vicki,
If you have someone you could check with I would appreciate it. I sent an e-mail to the address on their contact page, but haven't received any response and haven't been able to find any number to call them at. Maybe your client could give some insight and might have a contact number for me?

Thanks!

Sherry

Old 09-26-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamssa36 View Post
Vicki,
If you have someone you could check with I would appreciate it. I sent an e-mail to the address on their contact page, but haven't received any response and haven't been able to find any number to call them at. Maybe your client could give some insight and might have a contact number for me?

Thanks!

Sherry
I left a message for my clients.

In the meantime, this is the phone number that I have for the HOA:

PRESERVE HOA / 919-847-7140

Vicki

Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 AM

Thanks, Vickie!

Old 09-26-2012, 08:58 AM

Just for anyone else who might be interested in this answer as well, I just spoke to Wayne Bailey - the developer and he indicated that it would not be a problem having my 5 dogs in the neighborhood. He said many of the people there have more than 2 dogs and it is not a problem. I will however, make sure I get that in writing before I buy there, just to avoid any problems down the road.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Old 09-26-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamssa36 View Post
Just for anyone else who might be interested in this answer as well, I just spoke to Wayne Bailey - the developer and he indicated that it would not be a problem having my 5 dogs in the neighborhood. He said many of the people there have more than 2 dogs and it is not a problem. I will however, make sure I get that in writing before I buy there, just to avoid any problems down the road.

Thanks everyone for the help!
That is what my client said! She said she knows someone that has 4 dogs but the covenants say something else. She suggested you contact Wayne. I agree with getting it in writing! All you need is ONE NEIGHBOR that decides they don't want you to have 5 dogs and you could have an issue!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary