Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 12:44 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,943,623 times

Advertisements

Is new construction a bad investment as a rule or has it been the market lately that has made it so? I live in a neighborhood that was built in 2007 and all of the homes bought by original purchasers are under water right now. I'm not sure how much of that is due to the builder ripping off the customers (and if that is typical) or how much is due to the market correcting. It seems like the average purchase price is about 20% over the current market price. What say ye real estate agents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 01:17 PM

397 posts, read 805,053 times
Real estate is all about location and price.

I moved into www.insidewade.com less than a year ago. The amount of closings in there is staggering in such a short amount of time.

Almost 40 closings this year alone. And we're still in October. That's a huge number in this market.

It took me over a year to sell my house in holly springs and had to beg to get 1 serious offer.

For me it was all about location, location, location, this time. I bought a house that's all finished with upgrades and there was not much else to do.

So I think I'll be good in 3-5 years time with resale. There's only so much land in prime Raleigh.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:34 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Is new construction a bad investment as a rule or has it been the market lately that has made it so? I live in a neighborhood that was built in 2007 and all of the homes bought by original purchasers are under water right now. I'm not sure how much of that is due to the builder ripping off the customers (and if that is typical) or how much is due to the market correcting. It seems like the average purchase price is about 20% over the current market price. What say ye real estate agents?
It is all about timing.

Back before the housing slowdown, if you purchased new construction when the n'hood was first begun, after the builder sold 5 homes, he pushed up the price another $3,000 to $5,000. By the time your n'hood was halfway finished, you had equity in your home. That isn't happening in many neighborhoods anymore. Now, it is a risk as to when the n'hood will be finished and who will be finishing it? If it is a builder that builds smaller homes or less expensive homes, your home won't go up in value and it may come down in value.

Back before the slowdown, people bought brand new homes and paid the going price. Then prices fell. But that can be said for many that bought their homes in 2005 and 2006. Those that are selling NOW could be selling for less than they paid. Not all were brand new homes either.

Buying new construction today is different than it was a few years ago. You really want to minimize your risk as much as you can. I recently had buyers that purchased a brand new home that was the last one in the n'hood to be finished. Unfortunately for the builder, he kept discounting the house. When my buyers purchased the home, we got even more off the price plus a few extras. Some of the other homes in the neighborhood sold for much more.

There is little risk to MY buyers since they were one of the last to be built and we got it at such a low price. If the neighbors that bought 3 years ago, sell today, they may be underwater. Less risk to my buyers since the n'hood is now finished.

Vicki

Old 10-18-2012, 02:06 PM

257 posts, read 491,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

There is little risk to MY buyers since they were one of the last to be built and we got it at such a low price. If the neighbors that bought 3 years ago, sell today, they may be underwater. Less risk to my buyers since the n'hood is now finished.

Vicki
If it's the last remaining house/lot, doesn't that imply there's something unattractive or undesirable about that property - easements, powerlines, tiny lot, etc..? So, even if it's such a bargain in price, how well will it sell in the resale market?

Old 10-18-2012, 02:44 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islander03 View Post
If it's the last remaining house/lot, doesn't that imply there's something unattractive or undesirable about that property - easements, powerlines, tiny lot, etc..? So, even if it's such a bargain in price, how well will it sell in the resale market?
You have to buy it right on the front end to sell it right on the back end.
With the inventory/buyer ratio starting to tilt to seller advantage, I think that "mistake homes" will sell better than they have over the last couple of years.

As prices start to firm more, or even increase, it should tempt sellers who have set out the worst of the market to start putting homes on the market.
Increased supply should help moderate any upward price pressure, at least some. Supply and demand and all that.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:52 PM

32 posts, read 63,997 times
We just bought (in pre-contract right now) a new house which was on the market for over 15 months for a very good price. The house backs up to the tail end of a Wellness Center parking lot but so does every other house on that side of the street. It was in the Parade of Homes last year and yet it was the last one to sell on that side of the street. No one know why this house wasn't sold and the others were even though all have the same issue (backing up to a parking lot).

The house is beautiful with a great floorplan and after doing some research we figured it probably was one of the best on the street...go figure! The n'hood is now finished (only 2 homes remaining) but since we got it at a fairly good price we feel less at risk than the others who bought early on.

So yes when a house sits for a long time there is usually something wrong with the lot, powerlines, retention pond etc. but sometimes there's no reason why one sells and the other doesn't!

Old 10-18-2012, 03:17 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
there's always a reason.

it could have been that BETTER houses (price, condition, value, lot, etc) kept coming on the market and selling first. But there's a reason.

I'm guessing that house is the same house mentioned by some other CD regular a few months ago.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islander03 View Post
Some developments are simply built in phases - in a rather orderly fashion - not based on selling the best lots first and the worst ones last.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:45 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
i am not sure it is just new development that was hit -- it seems if someone bought between 2006-2010, then they are a bit hosed regardless of new or not new...that was the height, not the prices now...

Old 10-18-2012, 10:04 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcarres View Post
We just bought (in pre-contract right now) a new house which was on the market for over 15 months for a very good price. The house backs up to the tail end of a Wellness Center parking lot but so does every other house on that side of the street. It was in the Parade of Homes last year and yet it was the last one to sell on that side of the street. No one know why this house wasn't sold and the others were even though all have the same issue (backing up to a parking lot).

The house is beautiful with a great floorplan and after doing some research we figured it probably was one of the best on the street...go figure! The n'hood is now finished (only 2 homes remaining) but since we got it at a fairly good price we feel less at risk than the others who bought early on.

So yes when a house sits for a long time there is usually something wrong with the lot, powerlines, retention pond etc. but sometimes there's no reason why one sells and the other doesn't!
I know where you're moving. Don't worry. I'm not a stalker.

That's a really cute house. I've seen it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary