Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 03:19 PM

45 posts, read 178,888 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I recently moved to the area around 2 months ago and just received great news of a new addition to the family! We live between Brier creek and Rtp so location is nice but everything seems to be close proximity to us.

I have read some good and bad about the area hospitals (rex,wake med,duke med) and just wanted some opinions. We are planning to go see a doctor and would like to stick with the one we choose.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 03:32 PM

353 posts, read 996,314 times
I gave birth at Rex and was extremely happy with the care I received.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:47 PM

709 posts, read 935,642 times
I know someone who had plans for the baby at the best hospital in NYC and gave birth to a son by a Port authority policeman outside the Holland Tunnel in a snowstorm!!

Old 10-22-2007, 04:02 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
I've given birth both at Rex and Durham Regional. I was happy with both of them.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:16 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,714 times
I think it depends on what kind of birth experience you're looking for. If you're at all interested in a natural childbirth, avoid Duke.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:21 PM

906 posts, read 2,382,544 times
I was very pleased with Wake Med. They are very good for high risk pregnancies.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:25 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,150,426 times
Congratulations!

I gave birth at UNC - Chapel Hill. Though my baby was full-term she had complications and wound up in the NICU. Her care was second to none (and she's fine now). For that reason I chose to go back there for my second child.

Different hospitals have a different birth experience, but my bias is for the best pediatric care, which is at UNC, Duke or Wake. If I had given birth at Rex she probably would have been transferred to UNC (similarly, Western Wake transfers to Wake and Durham Regional to Duke). In that moment, it meant a lot to me not to have to deal with having my baby transferred. Of course, my experience was unusual.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:02 PM

836 posts, read 3,470,692 times
You are right to think about this as various practices have priveleges at certain hospitals. I had all three kids, even a shaky twin delivery, at Rex and couldn't have been happier with my care at Rex. I have heard that in Raleigh, Wake Med reportedly has the premiere neonatal, but that is only important if your kid has an issue at birth or is expected to. If you are worried about that, or just want to be prepared for it, you could choose a doctor that "goes to" Wake Med. I remember talking to my dr. before the twins, since there was a good chance my twins would end up in NICU, and they convinced me that there was nothing that they had at Wake MEd that they didn't have at Rex. I am sorry I don't remember the specifics.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:20 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,105,356 times
My son was born at Rex and we had a great experience. I really haven't heard much at all bad about Rex, and it almost always gets glowing reviews from new parents.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:31 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,853 times
We used the midwives practice at UNC and were extremely happy with them. All the attention of using a midwife vs an OB/GYN, but with the advantage of being in the UNC maternity ward and having immediate access to an epidural or advanced medical care if something goes wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary