Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times

Advertisements

Seems an advisory group wants to ban the sale of candy and other food deemed "unhealthy" in school fundraisers, booster group sales, and athletic event concessions.

Group wants to end sale of candy, cookies at Wake school fundraisers | Education | NewsObserver.com

Quote:
The School Health Advisory Council will recommend Tuesday that the school board change district policy to ban the sale of unhealthy foods at school fundraisers, including those held outside regular school hours. The policy would govern sales at concession stands for athletic events.

The group says Wake should “disallow sale of candy bars, donuts, cookie dough, bake sales, etc.” by schools or “school affiliated groups.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Carrot Stick Vendors at Football Games!!!

Water Cress for the Marines!!!

Come on you apes! You wanna live forever?! - YouTube

Old 03-05-2013, 06:59 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,812 times
I'd be happy if they banned fundraisers, period.

Sick of paying my share of taxes, sending my kid to school with a laundry list of supplies, notes sent home from teachers that supplies are running low, and then fundraisers on top of it.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:10 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
I'd be happy if they banned fundraisers, period.

Sick of paying my share of taxes, sending my kid to school with a laundry list of supplies, notes sent home from teachers that supplies are running low, and then fundraisers on top of it.
I hate fundraisers, too.

I'd rather they send me a letter asking for cash for X cause. LOL.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:14 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
No kids here, so fundraisers don't bother me, particularly if there is chocolate involved.

And, it is totally impossible to say "No, thank you," to a Brownie or Girl Scout at my door pitching cookies.

Just shoot me before ever I hear, "Would you like to buy some Girl Scout carrot sticks, Sir?"

Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 AM

130 posts, read 503,457 times
Most of the time the school fundraisers are for items that the school needs (playground equipment, technology, books, etc.). The teachers usually only receive a very small percentage of the money raised from school fundraisers. As far as teachers continually asking for supplies – there are many families that cannot afford or just don’t send in supplies at the beginning of the year which leads to using up supplies at a much quicker rate. I can tell you that teachers often spend a decent amount of their paychecks on supplies for their classrooms as the need of supplies towards the end of the year meets the schools need for additional funds. Funding education provides a wealth of benefits starting with better students, better schools, better communities, etc. It amazes me that people often complain about how schools are always asking for money while on the other hand they are complaining that crime rates are going up and communities are falling apart. Money is such a temporary thing in this world – I can only hope that there comes a day where people value education and the benefits it can provide over the money in their pockets.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:47 AM

149 posts, read 206,804 times
I'm still trying to imagine the success of granola fundraisers. (And I'm sure that some group will complain that the ingredients in certain granola mixes aren't healthy. Indeed, many are not.)

Honestly. Is this the most worrisome thing that bothers certain people? If so, I really wish I had their worries. I'm all for adding some healthy, but tasty additions to fundraisers to balance things out more (though whether they will sell nearly as well as M&Ms is a good question), but really. :/

And @Mike ... I did chuckle at the thought of carrot stick vendors at football games.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:49 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Ban chocolate?!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

Vicki

Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley14 View Post
Most of the time the school fundraisers are for items that the school needs (playground equipment, technology, books, etc.). The teachers usually only receive a very small percentage of the money raised from school fundraisers. As far as teachers continually asking for supplies – there are many families that cannot afford or just don’t send in supplies at the beginning of the year which leads to using up supplies at a much quicker rate. I can tell you that teachers often spend a decent amount of their paychecks on supplies for their classrooms as the need of supplies towards the end of the year meets the schools need for additional funds. Funding education provides a wealth of benefits starting with better students, better schools, better communities, etc. It amazes me that people often complain about how schools are always asking for money while on the other hand they are complaining that crime rates are going up and communities are falling apart. Money is such a temporary thing in this world – I can only hope that there comes a day where people value education and the benefits it can provide over the money in their pockets.
I don't care if they ask for money. I give money. I hate fundraisers. Overpriced crap that nobody needs and my kid is pressured into selling? No thanks!

I make exception for the art magnets. Those make sense.

I also send money for teachers to buy supplies for kids that don't have them. Or I send supplies.

It's the overpriced crap I don't need where the school makes less than the fundraising company that ticks me off.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley14 View Post

I don't think "most" people would disagree with what you typed above. But I think the bigger complaint is that they NEED to ask for money at all. Why are our schools underfunded when we are investing millions in sports arenas, lights on "for profit highways", banning of nipples, and legislation of morality.

I think the comment probably resonates more with the "our priorities are screwed up" crowd, which you seem to be one of too. (We're likely all saying the same thing)

To the OP, I think that school fundraisers should be limited to specific clubs. When I was a kid, we used to get these commercial funraising companies to come in and my guess is that much of the raised funds went to them, not the school. I'm much more in favor of the "band trying to raise money for transportation to a competition", or "chess club raising money to get some new rooks" or something else where you can specifically see the money going directly to the cause.

I also think school is for learning, and regardless of whether they allow fund raisers, they should absolutely ban the sale of these goods on school grounds. Just another distraction that is not STEM related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary