Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2007, 07:19 AM

212 posts, read 1,016,871 times

Advertisements

My lender and builder is allowing me to pick the lawyer we use for our side of the paper work. Is there a method to picking a lawyer ? Should we just use the one the builder is using ? The lender is paying for all the lawyer fees ( Attorney, Closing or Settlement Fee )

Thanks for any help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 07:51 AM

30 posts, read 148,306 times
Default Closing Lawyer

We have always used our own. I don't know what all the pitfalls might be but it seems to me that using your builder's lawyer is like using your ex's lawyer for a divorce

We use one in Cary who is good, low key and reasonable, if you're interested.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:37 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,501 times
Your lender is allowing you to pick an attorney, but that attorney will be representing the lender, not you! Although the lender & you the buyer have very similiar interests that usually do not conflict.

I had no clue who to pick either so I asked my realtor. We used some dude in Cary off of Kildaire Farm in th Commonwealth Court office complex. I cannot remember his name. Everything went fine. The paralegal goofed up the taxes and had to get us to sign a new HUD statement tho and that was kind of annoying because we were busy & in the middle of moving and didn't really have phone/email/fax up & working and going back to the office in the middle of all that was complicated.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:02 PM

74 posts, read 183,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighNativeGirl View Post
We have always used our own. I don't know what all the pitfalls might be but it seems to me that using your builder's lawyer is like using your ex's lawyer for a divorce

We use one in Cary who is good, low key and reasonable, if you're interested.
I would be interested. If you could advise that would be great. We are moving down Jan 15th.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:12 AM

212 posts, read 1,016,871 times
I'd be interested also. My lender is paying closing so they will pay Attorney fees.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:45 PM

15 posts, read 96,446 times
We closed on our house a few months back and used a lawyer who came recommended by someone my husband works with. I am a Florida attorney myself and while I have never practiced real estate law, I was very happy with the attorney we used and thought his rates were reasonable. If you are still looking for someone, let me know and I'll send you his name and contact information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary