Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 05:22 PM

79 posts, read 115,403 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what these bugs are (attached images) ? I found them when I opened the window and in the grove of the window.

I am not quite familiar with these bugs and hence requesting your help.

This is a new home (less than 6 months), and pest treated during handover, and pest application valied for another 6 months atleast.

Thanks for all your help.
Attached Thumbnails
What are these bugs ?-1.jpg   What are these bugs ?-2.jpg   What are these bugs ?-3.jpg   What are these bugs ?-4.jpg   What are these bugs ?-5.jpg  

What are these bugs ?-6.jpg   What are these bugs ?-7.jpg   What are these bugs ?-8.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 05:30 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Try getting a little closer. They're just little black specks.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:00 PM

79 posts, read 115,403 times
Wish I could, those were the best I was able to get and hence posted so many pics. Can you try zooming?

Old 06-04-2016, 06:06 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,733 times
I zoomed in and the picture got grainy, so I may be wrong. But they resemble termites.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:24 PM

83 posts, read 123,098 times
It is hard to tell in the pic but they could be springtails. We have a lot on our windowsills this time of year. They won't cause any damage or bite/sting. I just wipe them away. They like moisture so if you take care of that then they will disappear.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:48 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,598,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford06905 View Post
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what these bugs are (attached images) ? I found them when I opened the window and in the grove of the window.

I am not quite familiar with these bugs and hence requesting your help.

This is a new home (less than 6 months), and pest treated during handover, and pest application valied for another 6 months atleast.

Thanks for all your help.
If you are using a pest control company I would call them and have them come out to check. Most pest control companies will come out free of charge if you are having an issue between services. They will know exactly what kind of bug it is and how to deal with them.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:59 AM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Almost definitely not termites.
You wouldn't expect to see them out in the open, but just inside their mud tubes. Unless they were winged swarmers. These don't appear to be swarmers, and it would be uncommon for swarmers to be active this late in the spring anyway.

Which doesn't answer the question of what they are, just probably what they are not.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:18 AM

215 posts, read 371,258 times
Do they fly? Or jump? I agree with LeftCoast, if they jump, they are probably springtails. Do they look like beetles, or more like flies?

Old 06-05-2016, 06:53 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
They look like gnats. But, the pic is tiny, so it's hard to say.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:09 AM

9,146 posts, read 14,773,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastEnvy View Post
It is hard to tell in the pic but they could be springtails. We have a lot on our windowsills this time of year. They won't cause any damage or bite/sting. I just wipe them away. They like moisture so if you take care of that then they will disappear.
We had the same thing near a window and when I asked my regular pest guy about them he thought the same. Basically said with it being so whet this year they seemed to be more prevalent. He sprayed on the outside in that area and said watch but that they were no danger to anything. I'll have to go look for them and honestly, they are so small, I would have never see them except I was doing some trim painting in the room and was sitting 12 inches from the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary