Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:11 PM

3 posts, read 8,176 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are living in Atlanta now, but he just accepted a job in Raleigh. We are both originally from NC and I lived in Raleigh for a few years after college so I know the area. We're so happy to be coming back.

Any advice on the current real estate market in Raleigh? We've been looking online (I know those aren't the most accurate listings) but it seems that there just isn't much on the market. We would prefer to be ITB or just outside in North Hills. We are going to rent an apartment for 4 months and hopefully find a house within that time frame. Just wanted opinions- is that too quick of a time frame and does there seem to be quality listings on the market? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 03:24 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Within what price range?

Old 04-08-2013, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 8,176 times
We'd like to stay under 400k. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:39 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
What size home? Single family? Under 400k is tough ITB for a decent, single family.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:45 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Currently we have low inventory, especially in the more desirable areas, which ITB and around North Hills is.

If a home is in move in condition and the location is desirable, many are selling within DAYS.

It is a buying frenzy, currently. I hear it is due to the low inventory and buyers who were waiting to see what happened with the Pres. election and other goverment issues. Interest rates move up just a bit and come back down and that seems to be causing buyers to move quicker. And...this is our spring market.

Sounds like a Realtor's dream? I don't like it. Buyers are having to make decisions too quickly and I'm afraid will make mistakes. But, that is just MY OPINION.

Vicki

Old 04-08-2013, 04:54 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
Thanks for your perspective, Vicki. As current homeowners looking to move, it IS SCARY! I'm afraid we'll buy the wrong house out of desperation.

TO the OP: It seems like when a house is in good condition and priced right , it goes fast. LEss than a week. Prices are rising, too, in my nhood along--where one house sold for $110/sf a few months ago, 2 have now gone under contract at $188 and $125/sf. I live in the 'burbs, so I imagine it's really tight ITB.

You're smart to move here and rent for a bit so you are on site to make a bid fast. We looked at a foreclosure recently and the DAY it hit market we were there....along with at least 6 other families, just in the 30min we were there. It went fast.

On the up side, we hope to sell OUR house fast, but we're so worried we'll end up with nowhere to live!

Old 04-08-2013, 05:34 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Definitely low inventory! All the single family houses in my neighborhood are under contract and I haven't seen anything new come on in a while. It doesn't seem like prices are going up that much, but houses are definitely selling quick.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:06 PM

924 posts, read 2,103,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
What size home? Single family? Under 400k is tough ITB for a decent, single family.
Boy, I'm not sure what exactly you consider "decent," but I think it's a substantial exaggeration to say there aren't decent single-family homes Inside the Beltline in Raleigh for under $400K. Naturally, the particulars depend entirely on the OP's needs and preferences as far as the size of the house, the features and amenities of the house and adjoining neighborhood, and specifically which part of ITB it's in. So, depending on those answers, it may or may not be possible for them to find a suitable house in that price range. But there certainly still are (at least for now) nice houses in nice areas ITB available for well under $400,000. Based on my observations and the experiences of friends and neighbors, it's definitely is true, as Vicki and others mentioned, that inventories are low, especially of certain kinds of houses in certain locations, resulting in something of a buying frenzy at times. But I don't think it's fair to say that it's terribly tough to find a decent house ITB for less than $400K.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:28 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
Boy, I'm not sure what exactly you consider "decent," but I think it's a substantial exaggeration to say there aren't decent single-family homes Inside the Beltline in Raleigh for under $400K. Naturally, the particulars depend entirely on the OP's needs and preferences as far as the size of the house, the features and amenities of the house and adjoining neighborhood, and specifically which part of ITB it's in. So, depending on those answers, it may or may not be possible for them to find a suitable house in that price range. But there certainly still are (at least for now) nice houses in nice areas ITB available for well under $400,000. Based on my observations and the experiences of friends and neighbors, it's definitely is true, as Vicki and others mentioned, that inventories are low, especially of certain kinds of houses in certain locations, resulting in something of a buying frenzy at times. But I don't think it's fair to say that it's terribly tough to find a decent house ITB for less than $400K.
Sorry. I'm used to people coming here looking for half an acre and 3000 sq ft with full upgrades. Can't find that ITB for under 400k.

You are correct in that someone could find a cute little bungalow or split level over in Laurel Hills, for example, for under 400k. If there was actual inventory.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:34 PM

120 posts, read 248,647 times
I pretty much concur with the other posters. I've been here a few months and have been cautiously stalking the real estate market. If something you like is priced right, you'd better get an offer in within the first day or two because it will be gone. On the other hand, there seems to be decent inventory in the areas far to the SW (Apex) and and NE (540/Wake Forest). However, if you want to be within a mile or two of 440 or 40, there isn't a whole lot to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary