Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 08:13 AM

3 posts, read 4,231 times

Advertisements

Has anybody considered that of all the places to live in the Raleigh/Durham area, that Durham simply is not the place the majority of people moving here want to live? I think for many people, for a whole host of personal reasons, simply prefer all the other options over Durham. The type of people who prefer Durham are probably more specific in their interests than those in surrounding areas. And if I kids going to school, I certainly would want them in the best possible schools, with the least distractions......IOW, I would want them with other kids who are focused on schoolwork and not on other things.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:24 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
My kids go to DPS schools. I am DPS teacher. Like a previous poster said, it is what you make it. Voyager Academy, while some people love it, is losing its appeal. We have seen many many families come back saying that their experience is not what they thought it would be. The reason Durham has so many charters is because Durham spends more per capita on students than others, so charters set up here and then take the money allotted for the student with them. We avoided Wake because of the mess over there. CH is a pressure cooker... not interested in having my kids compete in that arena. Like anywhere, there are good and bad. And we in the school system do the best we can with the resources we have. If kids have the backing of good solid parents who give a hoot about education, they will be fine and do fine. Is there riff raff in Durham? Yes, but my brother teaches at a magnet school in Wake. They, too, have their fair share of "hard kids". I'm happy in Durham, my kids are happy. They are learning a lot and in various ways. They see and have a diverse peer group. We are sticking around in Durham.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:11 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South of the Border View Post
Has anybody considered that of all the places to live in the Raleigh/Durham area, that Durham simply is not the place the majority of people moving here want to live? I think for many people, for a whole host of personal reasons, simply prefer all the other options over Durham. The type of people who prefer Durham are probably more specific in their interests than those in surrounding areas. And if I kids going to school, I certainly would want them in the best possible schools, with the least distractions......IOW, I would want them with other kids who are focused on schoolwork and not on other things.
As someone who is thinking about moving to Durham, I think the ONLY reason it's the least desirable choice is because of the fear of violence in schools. The crime rate is the highest, many of the schools are described as being scary and dysfunctional. Durham is attractive in every other regard, especially in the housing prices and proximity to RTP, but who wants to buy in an area that is potentially dangerous and damaging to our kids? Even though prices are cheaper, is buying there a wise investment even for those without kids?

Not saying the fears represent reality, but for someone new to the area, it is difficult to form a favorable picture from contradictory comments and crime reports. Personally, I am willing to hold my judgement and take the risk of moving there if I read enough positive comments from other parents (BUT "Strong Durham Schools" doesn't help here b/c the website purposefully chooses not to publish criticisms about the district -- thus, it does not help people like me who desire a balanced view).

I love everything about Durham EXCEPT the reputation of violence and dysfunctional learning environments in the schools. But that is obviously a HUGE factor when determining where to live. Many people choose to buy in CH primarily because the schools have a good reputation. Or Wake b/c the schools are less scary (though unpredictable with assignments) and housing is cheaper than CH. Durham would be THE place to live right now if the schools were OK, and I mean not just the lottery options that only a handful of kids can get into. I'm convinced of this. Just driving around Durham, it's beautiful-- hilly, green, gorgeous neighborhoods, beautiful Duke Gardens, great restaurant scene, funky independent businesses, cool trail system -- it has everything people are looking for, but the schools are a deal-breaker for most.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:52 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
WestSeattleGal, the reason the housing prices are cheaper in Durham IS because the schools' reputations aren't as good. If they were, the prices would be higher. A perfect example of this is the development called Meadowmont in Chapel Hill. Some homes are in Durham County with Durham schools (the better ones) and some are in Orange County with Chapel Hill Schools. Guess which ones go for more money - a lot more money? For better or for worse, school districts play a huge part in price of homes, not just here, but everywhere.

sandycat, I haven't observed Chapel Hill schools being pressure cooker in the slightest. My kids are only in elementary school, but it is just not evident to me at all. It might be that way in some schools, I don't know, but definitely not in all of them. I just moved here from Fairfax County where schools were much more pressure cooker than here.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:08 PM

109 posts, read 169,239 times
I'm sending my child to a strong Durham public school. He isn't part of the majority race in the school but that has been a non-issue so far. (Really.) There are schools that I wouldn't send my kids to, including our base middle school and high school. That is why we are closing on a new home next week. But a lot of districts are like that. It made me sad when I realized that most of the kids on my son's soccer team went to private schools. But as long as I am confident in the value of the education he is receiving, then I am content.

I'm also going to be content that we will live in an affordable home, that commutes won't be atrocious, and that I get to stay in the city full of character and vitality that I've lived in for over 20 years. You do have to do your research. Sometimes you have to get lucky with lotteries. But it is possible to find good paths for children of all backgrounds in Durham.

Violence -- I certainly haven't seen it on the elementary level. There are schools that I would be concerned about. But I don't think any school, especially at the middle and high school levels, are immune to violence.

I'm actually a little surprised that more flight is happening ... But I don't dispute it.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
WestSeattleGal, the reason the housing prices are cheaper in Durham IS because the schools' reputations aren't as good. If they were, the prices would be higher. A perfect example of this is the development called Meadowmont in Chapel Hill. Some homes are in Durham County with Durham schools (the better ones) and some are in Orange County with Chapel Hill Schools. Guess which ones go for more money - a lot more money? For better or for worse, school districts play a huge part in price of homes, not just here, but everywhere.

sandycat, I haven't observed Chapel Hill schools being pressure cooker in the slightest. My kids are only in elementary school, but it is just not evident to me at all. It might be that way in some schools, I don't know, but definitely not in all of them. I just moved here from Fairfax County where schools were much more pressure cooker than here.
Definitely, I know that's why prices are cheaper in Durham. If the schools improved, it would be a more expensive area. But it will also attract a flood of new businesses! Durham would then be the town everyone wants to live in, for it has great bones.

The "pressure cooker" comment is only applicable to high school. That's what I have read, and what some parents fear in CH.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:59 AM

REV-elution: The Durham Public School System faces lawsuit for failing to protect student

Is this an unusual occurrence for DPS?

Old 06-19-2013, 04:05 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
A high school student is allowed back in the classroom after jerking a girl to the floor and stomping on her head until she lost consciousness.

School staff lie about how they rushed in to help her.

The article sounded as if this is not all that unusual at Hillside.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 06-19-2013 at 04:39 AM..

Old 06-19-2013, 04:22 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
DPS seems to have a different take on student safety than other districts I'm acquainted with.

For example, DPS used to drop off three busloads of students at the North Regional Library. Every day, about a hundred and fifty kids were released from school early, the buses would dump them off at the library, then return to transport the other students home.

I'd never heard of a school district bussing students anywhere but home or maybe to a childcare provider if guardians had made prior arrangements. But dumping children off to roam around a public library for hours. How is this safe?

The library met with school authorities for years before they could finally convince DPS to stop.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:24 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnoir View Post
You quote a Nazi war criminal who was sentenced to death for his role in WWII...interesting choice. It would probably have been a more effective argument had you left him out.
To be perfectly honest I am really paraphrasing Stephen Hawking from whom I stole the line, who stated such in referring to black holes with no hair...in other words, when physicists state that black holes do not omit background radiation, he objects. Dr Hawking is the one who paraphrased Herman, whose comment was directed at "culture."

My post has nothing at all to do with Nazi's. If you focused on that, then you chose to miss the point, conveniently.

To imply or infer, I get those mixed up frequently, that bad people cannot say clever things is pretty narrow.

For example, when they asked Jesse James why he robbed banks, Jesse replied, "That is where the money is." Jesse was a pretty bad guy, but his comment is pretty funny -- and to the point. I know this comment has been attributed to other bad guys, too, but I understand, Jesse said if first.

Herman also asked, when talking about the German advance on Rome, What he thought the Pope's reaction would be, "How many tanks does the Pope have?" Again, not a very good man, as you point out, but another clever comment which can be applied to a myriad of issues in the 21st century.

Don't get side tracked, however, on the bigger picture. People running most school systems, and certainly at least one of those in Durham, should get an ID10T classification.

Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary