Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 05:14 AM

19 posts, read 43,876 times

Advertisements

we have been searching for a new construction home and have seen a few, one of the communities consists of cutom homes from a local custom builder with good reputation but the community is small of 50 or so homes and does not have a pool/clubhouse etc and shares with another neighborhood across. One side of the lots back up to wake memorial park, there is a good buffer of trees and such.

Two things: will not having the pool/club on-site effect the resale? or will we loose a slice of the buying market in future for not having this on the property?

and does having a cemetery effect the resale as well??? any info will help us come to a decision.

Other community on the opposite side of wake memorial park also backing up to it has done very well so its a real dilemma for us...........its hard to Gage the pros and cons since the community is so new and have just begun selling with 3-4 spec homes.... Everything else like schools,location,quality of construction, details inside all look fantastic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 05:23 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,303 times
Westvale? You do have access to a pool, so I don't think that is really a problem. Some people seem to have objections to a cemetery as a neighbor, personally it doesn't bother me at all. I think it will end up being a very nice neighborhood.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:26 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneboston View Post
the community is small of 50 or so homes and does not have a pool/clubhouse etc and shares with another neighborhood across. One side of the lots back up to wake memorial park, there is a good buffer of trees and such.
Question-- Does one have to walk across a street to get to the other community's pool? If so that would be a major negative, especially with custom homes. If it is a safe walk or drive to the pool, not so much of a problem.

The cemetery would be a negative for some people. For others, it would be permanent green space, better than having more development.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:32 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
What neighborhood are you sharing with? I'm guessing you have to cross that main road there which I foresee getting busier over the years (have a friend who moved out of that area because she was getting nervous about how busy the surrounding roads might get). To me that would be a negative. The cemetery not so much a problem but I'm sure there are people who will not look at a house abutting a graveyard - even though it means you'll never have noisy neighbors.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
I don't think not having a pool/clubhouse is a negative - especially with so many parks in the area with pools (in Raleigh), community pool clubs open to the public and YMCA's having pools.

agree with the others on the cemetery. I think if you plant a green buffer and you backed up to it, it wouldn't be as noticeable after awhile. I would also check it out on the weekends to see what sort of visitor traffic it has.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:28 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
We live in a neighborhood without a community pool. Developed by the same builders as Westvale. Overall price range for homes is higher, but other than that, very similar.

No big issue with resales over here. Our neighbors put a house up for 625k last month and it was contingent in about 4 days.

So, no.

I would not worry about Westvale. They do have a pool nearby that can be used anyway.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:18 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
No pool means lower HOA fees. A lot of people would see that as a positive.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:28 AM

606 posts, read 903,657 times
Is the cemetery in the yard or is the house just close to one? I wouldn't have an issue with a cemetery, I have a fondness for them but some might, especially if it's in the yard.

No community pool would be a positive for me personally. Most neighborhood pools I've been too are so over crowded, it's not worth it. We don't have a pool in our community and the house sell rather quickly here so it doesn't seem to be a deal breaker for others either.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:39 AM

189 posts, read 507,782 times
It really depends on what is important to you.
Some people like not having to pay for a Pool/Clubhouse, whereas others would not want to live without a pool, and pool neighborhoods generally are very popular with young families.
Another thing to note is that, when Builders offer an arrangement with a neighborhood pool, that can change over time based on HOA i.e the neighboring pool may want to exclude others if they choose to, which happened long ago with Tatton Place and Brookstone swimming pool.
Many people do not like living next to a cemetery, whether it is hidden or not.
It just comes down to personal preference.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:18 AM

19 posts, read 43,876 times
Thanks everyone! The lots on one side do back upto the cemetery and there is a good buffer of tall trees, the graveyard is not very visible from the community atleast as of now, unless that changes with building work in the future......but the spec map shows a buffer of 20 feet and its quite dense..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary