Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 07:28 PM

30 posts, read 70,221 times

Advertisements

We're heading to the Outer Banks pretty soon. I have a 2.5 year old, so we'll need to stop for lunch during the trip. We'd like to go somewhere kid friendly to eat (breakfast or lunch) and then maybe walk around a park or go to a playground before hopping back in the car. Rocky Mount? Tarboro? What do y'all think? I'm not super familiar with Eastern NC. I'm assuming some of you folk make this trip every summer and might know a good place to stop!

Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 08:40 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
I don't go the OBX myself, so can't give a first-hand recommendation.

I do know that Tarboro isn't halfway by any means. Williamston would be a little past halfway. Williamston is a tiny spot, but there's a place called the Hitchin' Post per Yelp that sounds like a great option

Old 06-09-2013, 09:19 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
We have stopped several times in Williamston. There are a couple of family style places. Our favorite was on Alt 64, if you get off US64 on US17, and make a left on Alt 64, it was a couple of blocks on the right. I don't remember the name, though.

Plymouth might have something. It is another 25 miles or so. A lot of fishermen stay there, and there are some local spots, as well as fast food. In Plymouth, as you go past the Food Lion, and the Medical Center, in another quarter mile there is a nice little roadside rest stop where you can stretch your legs.
We once went to the Food Lion, bought lunch fixins and made a nice little picnic in that rest area. Of course, the weatherman smiled on us that day.

After Plymouth, Columbia is your best bet, and it is quite a bit further. Nice rest stop as soon as you cross the bridge into town, and you can walk along the side of the river and look into the water. I am sure there is food around, but we usually just do the bio break and leg stretch and motor on from there.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:50 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,124 times
The rest area in Plymouth is closed until the end of the year for renovations.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:59 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
When we went to OBX on a field trip (yes, really....a field trip) we stopped first in Rocky Mount (which isn't halfway) and then again somewhere else, don't know where but as you get closer you'll go through places where there is "civilization" so to speak and you can stop. Don't think you'll find a park and eating place close together but your 2.5 probably doesn't care where the running happens, as long as it happens!

Old 06-10-2013, 05:50 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,794 times
I remember driving out '64' many years ago when the 4 lane highway part ended right after Rocky Mount. It was a long, slow 2 lane road almost all the way.
You will find a roadside spot to eat and stretch. Just when your ready and see one, STOP! There may not be another for miles! Really intresting ride. You will see more churches than people.

There is a decent diner in Rocky Mount. But thats only 40 minutes from Raleigh. Its called Highway Diner and its on Winstead. First exit after 64 crosses 95

Old 06-10-2013, 10:01 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
I remember driving out '64' many years ago when the 4 lane highway part ended right after Rocky Mount. It was a long, slow 2 lane road almost all the way.
It's 4 lanes all the way to Columbia now. You can get from Nags Head to Raleigh in 2 1/2 hours these days.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:03 AM

59 posts, read 138,638 times
I'm headed out that way on Wednesday. I too would love to know about any cool dives to stop and eat on the way. I'm taking 64 in and have never traveled that road or area.
Doesn't even have to be half way, just somewhere funky to try and say I went!

Old 06-10-2013, 10:19 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningsky00 View Post
I'm headed out that way on Wednesday. I too would love to know about any cool dives to stop and eat on the way. I'm taking 64 in and have never traveled that road or area.
Doesn't even have to be half way, just somewhere funky to try and say I went!
Try the Ram Albemarle Restaurant in Plymouth.
I would have mentioned it earlier, but not totally sure about the "family friendly" for a busy toddler.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:20 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
With a 2 1/2 y/o I would recommend the Dairy Queen/ A&W's in Williamston. Its across from the Wal-Mart. Get off 64 at the 17 interchange, go north toward Williamston, its about a mile on the left...fairly easy on and off....there is a Murphy gas station where gas is cheap.

BTW, this is the last Wal-Mart before you get to the beach and its not that crowded, so it may be a great place to get what you need.

The McDonalds at the Robersonville exit is also easy on and off with gas options.

Columbia has a nice rest area on the right when you cross the bridge...another good option if you just need to go to the bathroom.

If you are going north (toward E-City, consider stopping in Windsor where the Livermon's petting zoo is located (free-town owned w/ playground). Great place to stop with kids...Bunn's Barbecue is right in front of it and is famous for its eastern NC barbecue since the 30's. As well going north, Edenton is a great place to stop...eat downtown at Waterman's and let the kids play at the waterfront park...there are even civil war era cannons, etc...near the courthouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary