Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 02:31 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Honestly if this place is so bad in your eyes....why are you still here? It's just getting old.
Our grandkids, recently born, are the major reason.

Raleigh was great when we got here in 1989, but has sunk a great deal because of unregulated and ingorant overstimulation of growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 03:37 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

Raleigh was great when we got here in 1989, but has sunk a great deal because of unregulated and ingorant overstimulation of growth.
That's kind of like saying: "It's okay if I migrate here, but nobody else after me".

Old 10-05-2014, 03:39 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
That's kind of like saying: "It's okay if I migrate here, but nobody else after me".
Subtitle: "Or, make 'em all pay impact fees that I never paid."

Old 10-05-2014, 06:40 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Subtitle: "Or, make 'em all pay impact fees that I never paid."
Well, in saturnfan's defense, he's always rented. No fees to pay there.

Thing is, there are plenty of people moving here who are NOT buying homes, though. Impact fees would do very little to help out the overcrowding due to the kids of people who rent when they move here.

Soo... extrapolate from that what you will.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:31 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Well, in saturnfan's defense, he's always rented. No fees to pay there.

Thing is, there are plenty of people moving here who are NOT buying homes, though. Impact fees would do very little to help out the overcrowding due to the kids of people who rent when they move here.

Soo... extrapolate from that what you will.
But wouldn't new condo and apartment complexes pay the impact fees?

Old 10-05-2014, 07:41 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
But wouldn't new condo and apartment complexes pay the impact fees?
I would think anything is possible it all depends on the law passed and how it is worded.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:23 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

Couldn't have said it better. We moved to Wake Forest, a nice little small town, to get away from the madness that is south Florida. Was great for the first five years or so, and then the population began to mushroom. Wouldn't be so bad if there was a transportation infrastructure that could be commensurately scaled up, but there's nothing but cars and buses. Had I known what was in store, I doubt we would have moved here.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
Couldn't have said it better. We moved to Wake Forest, a nice little small town, to get away from the madness that is south Florida. Was great for the first five years or so, and then the population began to mushroom. Wouldn't be so bad if there was a transportation infrastructure that could be commensurately scaled up, but there's nothing but cars and buses. Had I known what was in store, I doubt we would have moved here.
You can always sell. What transportation do you want? I remember when Wake Forest didn't even have buses. No place in this area has anything else....this really can't be a shock for you unless you choose to be clueless.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:44 PM

640 posts, read 1,986,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
When I lived in NC from 2005 to 2007, I visited Wake Forest often. I lived in Bunn. Construction in Wake Forest, residential and commercial, was abundant, and I remember Rte/Hghy 1 was always a pain when I would be driving towards Wake Forest from Raleigh, and near where I would bear right onto the old Rte 1 where the Walmart is located.

Has that really become worse? I used to go to a great gym on that turnoff and I don't think it's there now. There was also a nice furniture and home decor consignment shop around there as well.

We're moving back down to NC (90% sure). We're looking to go probably southeast of Raleigh, maybe Garner, Clayton, Knightdale. I can see those areas have built up since we left.

It's funny (not haha funny) you mentioned "...the madness that is south Florida." Florida was our original 1st choice, actually northern, near Jacksonville. I don't think I can handle the intense humidity + heat in Florida, though. I want to be able to go outside and walk or ride a bike during the day, not in the early morning or evening. So Raleigh is our main choice right now.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
When I lived in NC from 2005 to 2007, I visited Wake Forest often. I lived in Bunn. Construction in Wake Forest, residential and commercial, was abundant, and I remember Rte/Hghy 1 was always a pain when I would be driving towards Wake Forest from Raleigh, and near where I would bear right onto the old Rte 1 where the Walmart is located.

Has that really become worse? I used to go to a great gym on that turnoff and I don't think it's there now. There was also a nice furniture and home decor consignment shop around there as well.

We're moving back down to NC (90% sure). We're looking to go probably southeast of Raleigh, maybe Garner, Clayton, Knightdale. I can see those areas have built up since we left.

It's funny (not haha funny) you mentioned "...the madness that is south Florida." Florida was our original 1st choice, actually northern, near Jacksonville. I don't think I can handle the intense humidity + heat in Florida, though. I want to be able to go outside and walk or ride a bike during the day, not in the early morning or evening. So Raleigh is our main choice right now.
It has grown.....but I think it's better than ever. The furniture consignment store is gone....I thought they were high priced for a consignment shop anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary