Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 03:23 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I'm pretty sure there are no riding stables on a bus line anywhere you might look in NC. I could be wrong.

You could maybe live Inside the Beltline of Raleigh with no car...my neighborhood near NCSU has apartmetns for rent, good schools, busline, music teachers in private homes. Walk to Harris Teeter or busline to Food Lion.
Assuming the area is in the OP's price range, this is a very good idea.

Minus the riding stables and all.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:23 PM

30 posts, read 42,010 times
Yes librarySue...I was thinking the same. It doesn't seem like there would be any bus lines to a riding stable but that's ok. I'll find a way when the time is right for that. Your neighborhood sounds very good for me. I'll keep that in mind.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 04:29 PM

30 posts, read 42,010 times
At boocake...wow great, i'm checking out the website now.
Thank you

Old 08-19-2013, 04:32 PM

9,780 posts, read 15,797,090 times
In Chapel Hill there is a place called Spencer's Farm that does riding and aftercare. I think they do pickup at the schools.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:59 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
Yep, and I think the buses might go out there, too, or very close to it since the town ops center is right down the road, but afterschool would be the far easier way to do it.

I haven't read the OPs other threads so don't know of her employment situation. Chapel Hill and Carrboro have plenty of budget rentals also, but if big city-living is what you're after Raleigh might be a better fit.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:01 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMarshall05 View Post
eventually I will get one but yeah for now when i first get there no car . I am still going to move there it's a process that's been in the works for a long time. I'm sure many live there without cars so I won't give up hope.
Not many people live here without a car. It's just too spread out and using the bus is an iffy proposition. Lot of areas don't have bus service and buses are few and far between in the areas that do. I had a long talk with a guy who tried to do it and finally gave up. Said he was spending all his time on the bus.

Students on campus might be able to get by without a car. If you live close to your job with a grocery store, drug store, and urgent care clinic just around the corner, it might work.

I've seen several threads of people looking for a walkable community and cannot recall any areas other than maybe downtown Chapel Hill that are recommended.

As you're planning your move, I would encourage you to include buying a car in your plan. On another thread, you mentioned that you are working in a managerial/leadership capacity. Buying a car while you have a steady paycheck might be a wise move.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:53 PM

615 posts, read 1,504,004 times
The school I teach at in Johnston county has a violin teacher for grades 4&5.....as well as piano lessons offered free after school by the music teacher.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:40 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,410 times
My son goes to a magnet school in Raleigh (Hunter) and they have an amazing band and an amazing orchestra. He was in band for 3rd grade last year. The teacher was amazing and I was floored out how good the kids got (except for mine) in such a short time.
From the website "Under the direction of Mr. Brendan Vincent, the Hunter Elementary Band program consists of two ensembles: Beginning Band and Advanced Band. Students can study flute, clarinet, bass clarinet, alto saxophone, trumpet, trombone, euphonium, and percussion. Students may begin study in third grade."

Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMarshall05 View Post
Ok CHTransplant and poppydog..I only studied Raleigh as far as moving. I don't know much about the town of Chapel Hill/Carrboro.
I need to start looking into it, to see if this is indeed the best option for me. I did want to be in the city that's why I like Raleigh. It has the suburbs and city life I was looking for.
It sounds to me that you haven't done much research (you didn't know what that Wake county is the county that Raleigh is in? Have you looked at a map?) yet have committed to moving here....hmmm. As others have said, Raleigh is very suburban unless you live right downtown, and a car is very necessary. How would you get your daughter to music lessons, etc? I don't know where your job will be as you haven't mentioned one, but Durham might be better for you both with more public transportation and with perhaps magnet schools that might start music earlier. Durham seems to value the Arts a little more than Wake county (the county that Raleigh is in).

Just search the websites of Wake county schools, Durham county schools, etc. And look at a map to see what counties are in the area since you seem to have decided to move here no matter what. Have you even visited the area yet?

Old 08-20-2013, 08:00 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
In Chapel Hill there is a place called Spencer's Farm that does riding and aftercare. I think they do pickup at the schools.
It's called Spence's Farm.

Spence's Educational Farm in Chapel Hill, NC has Summer Camps, Mini Camps and After School Programs all year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary