Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 08:11 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,224 times

Advertisements

Looking to upgrade my old iPhone this week to the new 5s. Do you think (or know anyone who works there) that the Apple store at Crabtree mall will have long lines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 08:16 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Looking to upgrade my old iPhone this week to the new 5s. Do you think (or know anyone who works there) that the Apple store at Crabtree mall will have long lines?
Do people in hell want ice water?

Yes... it will have long lines. How long? I cannot say. There are always long lines for iPhone releases and since there were no preorders online for this phone (and there have been in previous years) I would say the lines will be LONGER than they were last year.

There ya go. My advice. I say this as someone who upgrades her iPhone every year and has owned one since they launched in 2007.

A good source for iPhone launch-related stuff is Macrumors.com.

Their iPhone forum is hopping right now.

I hope you get your phone without a long wait!

(Still figuring out what to do about mine... seriously considering going out early to test the line at my local AT&T store, because you KNOW Apple will be more crowded. Well, and there's my mall hatred. I dunno. I like SouthPoint, but that involves standing outdoors. Did that once for a laptop on tax-free weekend and it was miserable.)

Old 09-17-2013, 08:19 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,224 times
I hate lines, and I hate malls even more. I would prefer to buy from an AT&T store too. I'll look into that.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:35 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
In the past, the ATT stores have been pretty bad. Either they had only a few dozen phones at launch or did preorder only.

I camped out overnight for an iPhone 4 at Southpoint. It wasn't so bad at night but once it got sunny and hot it was brutal for those who were wrapped back to the parking lot side. Evidently they usually let you stay inside the mall overnight at Crabtree.

You can also try Best Buy, but they are often worse than the ATT store as far as stock.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:37 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
I would wait a couple of weeks.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:16 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,888 times
Yes. Southpoint last year wasn't bad, maybe 1hr wait.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:55 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Looking to upgrade my old iPhone this week to the new 5s.
Just curious, what breathtaking feature(s) are you looking for? The "non Apple elitist" reviews I have seen have not been impressed with the new phones. They certainly disappointed many with pricing on the 5c.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:44 AM

379 posts, read 517,860 times
Hey, I currently work a security sidegig at an Apple Store up here. As always they are anticipating very long lines around the country for the release on Friday. I went on the Verizon website and you can pre order the 5C but not the S. I'm sure Sprint and AT&T are the same. They want you at their store to buy the 5S initially. I know that the stores will have only a certain number of these phones for sale for each carrier. This usually lasts a month or so until they can get more phones from China. Like I said, expect a long wait at an Apple store and don't be disappointed if the gold 5S is not available. They expect the gold 5S to fly off the shelves here in NY.

On a side note, some store employees tested out the new IOS7 and it the reviews are so so. They changed all of the icons and the colors which I don't really like. However they do make a great phone and their computers are top notch but very expensive. Good luck on Friday!

Old 09-17-2013, 11:05 AM

521 posts, read 1,598,936 times
I think Best Buy might be an option for getting the 5s on 9/20 -- I know they're taking pre-orders for the 5c, but I'm not 100% sure if they're planning to have the 5s in stock. Might be worth a call.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:07 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,891 times
As lame as it is, I plan to get online at 3am to try to order one online. I hate busy crowds and they are going to be all over. Everything points to a stupid short supply of 5s's at launch. I would rather wait a few days for it to ship to me before I wait 2 hours in a line to get it.

Nobody is letting you preorder a 5s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary