Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 04:02 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,075 times

Advertisements

I live in downtown Wake Forest on S. Franklin Street. A lot of changes have gone on some which I think were a rather ridiculous use of money some have been good. What would you like to see that will enhance particular area of town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 04:24 PM

273 posts, read 619,190 times
Right now there's just no reason to *go* downtown Wake Forest. I'm on the northwest part of the US1/98 intersection, so its only a 5 minute drive away. The problem is that everything I need isnt in downtown WF, its near Wal-Mart, the Movie Theater, etc... There's just a few places to eat, the farmers market is "meh" and hard to park, there's no shops to visit etc.... Even the pizza place is marginal, and Shortys hot dogs are way better at Sonic drivethru instead.......

So I guess I'd like to see something there worth visiting.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:57 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthephysicist View Post
Right now there's just no reason to *go* downtown Wake Forest. I'm on the northwest part of the US1/98 intersection, so its only a 5 minute drive away. The problem is that everything I need isnt in downtown WF, its near Wal-Mart, the Movie Theater, etc... There's just a few places to eat, the farmers market is "meh" and hard to park, there's no shops to visit etc.... Even the pizza place is marginal, and Shortys hot dogs are way better at Sonic drivethru instead.......

So I guess I'd like to see something there worth visiting.
I disagree! When I go downtown we regularly visit: The lemon tree (they have great birthday gifts, handmade jewelry and lunch!), the Olde English Tea room is a favorite destination with my daughters so we can have tea, the consignment shop is fabulous! I love going into the NC Store as they have some very good sauces and rubs that I cannot find any place else. We often go to Backfins crab house for some delicious seafood! I found many christmas gifts at the cotton company, and we often go to the farmer's market.

We are thrilled the brewery is going to open soon because we felt this was one thing that was lacking! It would be nice to have a couple of more places that stayed open in the evenings (like the brewery), but that is just a personal choice. I think the downtown area has really worked hard to change and accommodate many different people.

Leigh

Old 02-02-2012, 05:57 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
I would like to see the college come back

Old 02-02-2012, 06:14 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
I like the Coffee Shop that is downtown and the farmers' market. Having the brewery (Opens in May) is going to be a game changer I think. I'm curious what projects you feel were a waste of money. Are you talking about public or private money?

Old 02-02-2012, 06:24 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I would like to see the college come back
I always wondered why the town pushed to college out.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:28 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I always wondered why the town pushed to college out.
I don't think the town pushed the college out, I thought that they college was offered LOTS of money to relocated to winston salem (from the Reynolda Family).

Leigh

Old 02-02-2012, 07:13 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I like the Coffee Shop that is downtown and the farmers' market. Having the brewery (Opens in May) is going to be a game changer I think. I'm curious what projects you feel were a waste of money. Are you talking about public or private money?
Hey, NRG. Public. Have you looked at S. Franklin Street in the last few years? Two roundabouts, and antique "gas" looking lights that are spaced so close together it looks like landing strip. On top of that, they put a planted barrier between the the two lanes going in opposite directions.

Two days ago, I watched a fire truck use one of the two emergency cut throughs to go the opposite direction of traffic nearly taking out two cars. We've the Fire Station on one end the EMT on the other end. This was during the time that people had their cars parked waiting to pick up their children from Franklin Academy who wait in the "bicycle lane" (which is just that, a thin lane) to pick up their children.

Apparently, the strip mall where Dollar General is, will soon sport a bowling Alley and Over the Falls which was on White Street. They tried to put a huge night club in there (along the lines of The Long Branch) but that went bust before it ever got started. Over The Falls is replacing a restaurant called Sea Shack that went bust in less then a year. There is a Tuxedo Junction that was to be a ball room type place but has, for the most part, turned into a church, wedding reception rental and dance lessons on slow days.

I'm rambling but there is much more that concerns me.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:21 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
I don't think the town pushed the college out, I thought that they college was offered LOTS of money to relocated to winston salem (from the Reynolda Family).

Leigh
That's right...The college was won over by The Reynolds Foundation.

I saw my first college football and basketball games in the town of Wake Forest when I was a young boy. It truly was a bustling little college town.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:08 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthephysicist View Post
the farmers market is "meh" and hard to park
I go to the farmers' market almost every week it's open. I like it much better than the big one in Raleigh. The vendors are great, and I love that we've been able to build a rapport with them. We never have a problem parking at all.

I'm really looking forward to spring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary