Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 06:44 AM

232 posts, read 552,909 times

Advertisements

Tangerine Cafe and Tom Yum Thai in Cary, The Outback, Mia Francesca, Five Guys, Moe's Southwest Grill, and Chipotle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 02:40 PM

328 posts, read 767,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
We were just at Carabba's in Cary last weekend and were told they still didn't offer GF pasta and all the soups contained gluten as well. Olive Garden has GF pasta, but it whenever we've ordered it, it has been rubbery and clearly microwaved.

I HATE Olive Garden's GF pasta. Over the past two years I have developed a sensitivity to wheat so I eat gluten-free breads and pastas but can tolerate a little bit of regular flour and soy sauce. I heard OG has GF pasta but it's all that rubbery penne which I hate anyway because I like spaghetti noodles or macaroni noodles for mac and cheese. They had three options which were all basically the same : tomato-based sauce. Nope, never eating there again. I make better spaghetti at home. I do miss alfredo out but I have been to Daniel's on Main in Fuquay-Varina and they were very accommodating for gluten-free needs.

I like Red Robin - their buns are better than the Udi's GF buns and their fries with ranch are all kinds of yum. I sometimes order GF pizza from Domino's, but like someone else said, it's insulting to pay out the you-know-what for a small little pizza that makes for one serving, while my husband gets a large for 9.99 and makes two or three meals out of it.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:23 PM

120 posts, read 251,199 times
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm sure we'll have to get creative, but that's ok!

Old 10-25-2013, 01:18 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Just saw Patrick Janes Gourmet Pizza Bar mentioned in the Washington Post, although they may not have their full menu yet (just opened). I'd call first to verify gluten free availability as I think the article said they were still tweaking their gluten free crust recipe. They're in Cary, in the Trader Joe's shopping center.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:13 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Just saw Patrick Janes Gourmet Pizza Bar mentioned in the Washington Post, although they may not have their full menu yet (just opened). I'd call first to verify gluten free availability as I think the article said they were still tweaking their gluten free crust recipe. They're in Cary, in the Trader Joe's shopping center.
I meant to come back here and post about this place. They opened last weekend, and I've already been twice. I love their crust! I hope they don't tweak too much! And the collection of toppings they have are great! They seem to be very conscientious about following safe GF procedures. I definitely recommend them! (and $6.75 for an individual GF plus $0.75 per topping is really quite reasonable for the size!)

Old 10-25-2013, 02:15 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I meant to come back here and post about this place. They opened last weekend, and I've already been twice. I love their crust! I hope they don't tweak too much! And the collection of toppings they have are great! They seem to be very conscientious about following safe GF procedures. I definitely recommend them! (and $6.75 for an individual GF plus $0.75 per topping is really quite reasonable for the size!)
Good to know! I'm interested in their vegan selections so I'll definitely be giving them a try in the coming weeks.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:07 PM

351 posts, read 770,045 times
Bella Monica also has a pretty good GF menu - Gourmet Pizza, Pasta, & Wine in Raleigh, North Carolina (NC) at Bella Monica Italian Restaurant

Old 10-30-2013, 09:05 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyenortheast View Post
That menu looks great..I will try them soon..

Old 10-31-2013, 08:59 AM

149 posts, read 283,848 times
We recently dined at Chapel Hill's "Kitchen" on MLK, which is always great, but they don't take reservations for less than six diners, expect to line up for a little while, or they'll take your cell number and you can sit for a drink in one of two neighboring establishments, - anyway they were superb at listing all the options for gluten free dining for our guest, he enjoyed his meal and was delighted to be eating crust less cheesecake.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:30 PM

794 posts, read 1,324,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyenortheast View Post
Bella Monica has really good GF pasta, as well as bread. I LOVE them!! Do yourself a favor and make a reservation, though. They are packed every night, even during the week and you can expect a long wait...but with a reservation they will get you right to a table.

I don't know any local specific restaurants in your area...but as for Raleigh...

As someone mention Red Robin has GF buns that hold up pretty well to a juicy burger. Tribecca Tavern does too but I've found they fall apart very quickly.

Brixx has GF pizza, in addition to Mellow Mushroom that someone mentioned. MM's recipe used to be a bit grainy but they started using a new recipe sometime this summer and it is much improved.

If you are in N. Raleigh ever, Vivace and Mia Francesca Trattoria in North Hills both have a pretty decent GF menu, including GF pasta at MFT that was yummy.

I know there are a lot more...I just can't think of them right now.

In general, for bread I stick with Udi's although Rudi's is a decent option too. Remember to keep it in the fridge or freezer. We have started making our own pizzas at home, either with Udi's pre-made pizza crust or our own from scratch with a GF all-purpose flour which I've found to be relatively easy. When I was diagnosed last year, one of my first stops was to the bookstore to pour over GF cook books. Every few months, I have a big baking day and store a stash in the freezer...just pulling out one or two items when I start to feel deprived of my bake goods/desert fix.

It is definitely A LOT easier being GF these days...for better of worse...with the GF "fad" that is going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary