Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 10:20 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,591 times

Advertisements

Our daughter is turning 1 end of this month and we're throwing her a Minnie Mouse themed birthday party. We'd like to order a cake with a Minnie Mouse theme, something like the ones attached here.

Would love to order either from somewhere near Downtown Raleigh, Cary, or Apex.
Those that come to mind are Edible Art (Hillsborough St) and Sweet Memories (Apex).
Not sure if the place in downtown Apex does custom cakes. Not sure about Blue Moon Bakery in Cary either.

Other than these, looking for other suggestions. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Bakeries that can make a Minnie Mouse cake-full_79_72558_minniemouse_4.jpg   Bakeries that can make a Minnie Mouse cake-900x900px-ll-b6f338de_gallery8293941334874215.jpeg   Bakeries that can make a Minnie Mouse cake-49008-eaee3.jpg   Bakeries that can make a Minnie Mouse cake-minnie_mouse_tiered_first_birthday_cake.224214454_std.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 04:50 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
Sugarland Bakery in Cameron Village. They can do just about anything, and their cakes are delicious, too. They made my mother's 80th birthday cake, and it was awesome.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:38 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Goodybox Cupcakes in Morrisville! She makes beautiful cakes! Cakes - What's in your box?

Old 11-06-2013, 06:32 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
I tried to get a Minnie/Mickey cake for my daughter's birthday last year, and had trouble finding a bakery that would make it custom. They said they couldn't use licensed characters.

I ended up just getting a licensed one from Walmart. Lowe's Foods had the same options, but Walmart was cheaper. For us, the hardest part was getting a cake with BOTH Mickey and Minnie. Just Minnie had more choices. Unfortunately, they are not nearly as nice as the custom types like you have in mind.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:08 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I tried to get a Minnie/Mickey cake for my daughter's birthday last year, and had trouble finding a bakery that would make it custom. They said they couldn't use licensed characters.

I ended up just getting a licensed one from Walmart. Lowe's Foods had the same options, but Walmart was cheaper. For us, the hardest part was getting a cake with BOTH Mickey and Minnie. Just Minnie had more choices. Unfortunately, they are not nearly as nice as the custom types like you have in mind.
Yeah. If you want a licensed character on a cake, larger bakeries won't do them. If you want a cake that is reminiscent of the character, they will do that. Needs to be transformative enough to prevent a trademark lawsuit.

Disney is fierce about protecting trademarks.

I'd go with Edible Art, by the way. Just judging from the cakes you posted.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:13 AM

533 posts, read 1,199,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Goodybox Cupcakes in Morrisville! She makes beautiful cakes! Cakes - What's in your box?
Goodybox has a Minnie Mouse one in their gallery of custom cakes...

Old 11-06-2013, 03:05 PM

85 posts, read 94,615 times
I highly recommend the Original Cake Lady. Check out her gallery of photos at originalcakelady.com. She is amazingly talented. I've had numerous cakes of hers and they are always delicious. I have looked at other cake bakers' websites and visited "brick and mortar" bakeries and I don't think anyone else in the area is as talented as she is. She's great to work with, too. You can also visit her facebook page and see some other cakes that aren't on her website. Scroll down her facebook page to the Yoda cake...it's unbelievable. She's in the Raleigh/Cary/Apex area, and last I knew, she delivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary