Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:44 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,093,248 times

Advertisements

Is it true that the Wake Forest Planning Board has approved yet another Fire Station despite objections from town residents?

I've also heard rumors that the Fire Department in Wake Forest is not run by the town but is, in fact, a no-bid contractor. Is that true?

Lastly, it was explained to me that the Fire Department soaks up as much as 10% of the towns budget? Given the corruption that recently came to light with the private ambulance service run out of Wilmington, I find this whole situation disturbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the information but my question still hasn't been answered, is it true that Wake Forest's Fire Department is run by a no-bid contractor?

With respect to being called a troll, is that what one is referred as for merely asking uncomfortable questions. Yes, I've voiced my opinions here in the past about the Wake Forest Fire Department but that's because I've seen the firemen use their trucks to go fishing at the pond near my house and for running their personal errands at Walmart. I can provide pictures and even video if necessary?

Edit: I posted this follow-up in response to some posts which are now apparently deleted.

Last edited by Grizzmeister; 01-11-2014 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: Edit: To mention that some posts were removed

Old 01-11-2014, 10:18 AM

4,167 posts, read 4,883,607 times
I hope you do realize that firefighters work, sleep, eat, and basically live at the fire station while on duty...right? It is not uncommon to see emergency vehicles at Walmart or other stores while crews are on standby duty ready to respond to emergency call outs within a moments notice. Would you expect them to drive their personal vehicles to the store and then have to race back to the station to get the firetruck if an emergency call came in? BTW...most of the time they're probably shopping for food and supplies for the firehouse and not necessarily doing personal errands.

I can't speak for Wake Forest, but some fire departments use volunteers who may have emergency lights installed on their personal vehicles used to respond to emergency calls, so unless the vehicle you saw parked at the fishing hole was fully marked with station insignia's then it may have been privately owned.

May I suggest that you visit the website of the Wake Forest Fire Department to learn more about them and their history? You should also be aware that the distance a fire station is located to your house affects your homeowners insurance rates in the event your house were to catch on fire.

WFFD - Home

Old 01-11-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I hope you do realize that firefighters work, sleep, eat, and basically live at the fire station while on duty...right? It is not uncommon to see emergency vehicles at Walmart or other stores while crews are on standby duty ready to respond to emergency call outs within a moments notice. Would you expect them to drive their personal vehicles to the store and then have to race back to the station to get the firetruck if an emergency call came in? BTW...most of the time they're probably shopping for food and supplies for the firehouse and not necessarily doing personal errands.
Thanks for the reply, Starglow. Yes I'm well aware of the grueling hours firefighters put in because I have several friends who are firefighters up in Maryland. Here's what they've told me; when they need breakfast, lunch, dinner or supplies they usually send out someone in a fuel efficient car to pick that stuff up. The notion of sending out the fire truck that only gets 4 mpg for those things is absurd and completely unwarranted especially given how expensive gas is.

Matter of fact, my friends have further elaborated that they usually bring their meals to work as they have a refrigerator and kitchen at most fire stations.

I'm still interested in that no-bid contract question. I'm not claiming that the Wake Forest Planning Board is corrupt but I'd just like to find out who owns that contracting company. Anybody know?

Old 01-11-2014, 11:58 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,932,831 times
What NC needs to do is start paying firefighters more. That area of NC (Raleigh) is a decent sized city with a good tax base. I have a friend who works for the Fire Dept up there, and he wont say it but they need to do something to pay these men and women more --- like what they make in FL or out West.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:48 PM

Default What's going on here?

Here's a scathing comment from a letter sent to the editor of our town's newspaper The Wake Weekly:
Quote:
Regarding the proposed fire station to be located on Jenkins Road, (Wake Forest Fire Chief Ron) Early (the chief) advised earlier that Wake County will not contribute any of the $2.4 million necessary to build and outfit this proposed facility because the county feels that those residents in the fire district served by the WFFD, Inc. are already adequately served by existing fire stations.

So, guess who will be paying for this new fire station which the county says isn’t needed and that we county residents in the vicinity of the proposed fire station don’t want?...

...Wake County asserts that only two of the existing four WFFD, Inc. fire stations are necessary, folks.
Source

So let me get this straight, since Wake County says we already have two more fire stations than we need here in Wake Forest they won't help subsidies the new unnecessary fire station.

Things are starting to smell a little fishy. So who exactly is reaping the rewards of these no-bid contracts? Some evidence is starting to suggest that a "nonprofit" organization is involved.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:48 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,727 times
Oh for crying out loud, don't tell me I have to start giving the Wake Forest Firefighters the hairy eyeball. I just stopped rolling my eyes at the Wake Forest Police Officers.

As far as the board of commissioners, well, yeah...I'm not going near that question.

Spies and drones everywhere.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:26 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,583,386 times
Well, let's just go protest and demand that ALL fire stations be closed. Fire stations do not produce any revenue and are nothing more than a tax burden.

A fire station is just a hangout spot for kids who make a lot of noise in a big truck. How disturbing they are to make all that noise just to arrive at an address 30 seconds faster!! Makes me so angry when I'm driving down the road and I have to look up from my text message that I'm typing to see what all the fuss is only to have to stop for this huge fire truck. Slows down my trip and my text.

The only people who appreciate a fire station are those who use their service but once their emergency is over a fire station goes back to being a nuisance. Besides, what percentage of the population will ever use the services of a fire station? 2%? Doesn't seem like a good way to spend everyone's tax dollars.

So I propose we start shutting down the fire stations by eliminating the addresses one by one of which they respond. We can start with Grizzmeister's house.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:39 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Well, let's just go protest and demand that ALL fire stations be closed. Fire stations do not produce any revenue and are nothing more than a tax burden.

A fire station is just a hangout spot for kids who make a lot of noise in a big truck. How disturbing they are to make all that noise just to arrive at an address 30 seconds faster!! Makes me so angry when I'm driving down the road and I have to look up from my text message that I'm typing to see what all the fuss is only to have to stop for this huge fire truck. Slows down my trip and my text.

The only people who appreciate a fire station are those who use their service but once their emergency is over a fire station goes back to being a nuisance. Besides, what percentage of the population will ever use the services of a fire station? 2%? Doesn't seem like a good way to spend everyone's tax dollars.

So I propose we start shutting down the fire stations by eliminating the addresses one by one of which they respond. We can start with Grizzmeister's house.
If that is what you took away from the OP's post I think the intent went right over your head

Old 01-11-2014, 04:08 PM

379 posts, read 517,968 times
What's wrong with the Wake Forest cops? Is the WFFD a civil service organization. With an expanding community you have to extend city services. We had a major problem up here with the city not expanding or improving services while the population doubled in 30 years. Now they have to play catch up and at a much higher cost.

As for shopping on duty, so what. They often go to work and stay there overnight or for a couple of days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary