Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 04:34 AM

15 posts, read 47,928 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a home soon in Cary, or possibly certain areas of Apex/Raleigh.

However one of my requirements (either a 3 car garage or workshop) is not something I think I can find in my price points and when mixed with my other requirements. So my next option is to buy a home that I can either add on to an existing 2 car garage or if lot is large enough and Home Owners Association allows it, is to add on a Workshop.

Size I would like is approx 24 by 30 (or 33), with Electrical run to it (220 and 110 outlets) , walls do not necessarily need to be finished, and heating and air would be priced separately (if adding to existing furnace and air is too expensive thinking of those direct air units. or even space heaters)

Woodworking is a hobby for me, so its not something I would be using constantly, but more often weekends etc. However I have quite a bit of large equipment.

In California I had it in a detached 3 car garage - 24 by 35 and it worked well for me.

trying to figure estimates per square foot so as I look at homes, I can determine the cost to add on, verses in cases where there is a 3 car garage already.

thx!
Ledeen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 05:02 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
I think you have a lot of things to work through to get a nice shop, particularly in a neighborhood with an HOA. Many restrict auxiliary structures.
Even if you have adequate space, you may have to comply with impervious surface limits, and a large building can easily max you out.
I don't know anything about quality of work, value, etc, but these guys post pricing right on their site:
Base Pricing of 1 Story | 1½ Story | 2-Story | 2-Car | 3-Car Garage

Of course, your 240 volt service for shop equipment, and heating and AC will push the price up.
I would suspect a 24x32 would end up costing you $40,000--$45,000 to get it how you want it.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:22 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
There are quite a bit of variables, however somewhere around 40k would be in the ballpark. If you can build it yourself it would obviously be substantially less.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:09 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Of course, your 240 volt service for shop equipment, and heating and AC will push the price up.
The labor to run the cable, especially if you have to dig a trench is the biggest part of the job. Put a 100-amp breaker in the main panel and run a single cable to a sub-panel in the garage. Then you can have all the 240V and 120V outlets you want.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:11 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledeen View Post
... one of my requirements (either a 3 car garage or workshop) is not something I think I can find in my price points and when mixed with my other requirements.
Help us to help you. Outline those other requirements and your overall budget.
Quote:
... walls do not necessarily need to be finished, and heating and air would be priced separately (if adding to existing furnace and air is too expensive thinking of those direct air units. or even space heaters)
If you want HVAC you need insulation. Factor that into your cost projections.
Quote:
> I have quite a bit of large equipment.
The Carolina Builders freestanding garage cited by MikeJaquish in post #2 is built with trusses so the interior is clear span. This is an advantage for use as a shop. You have freedom to position your equipment wherever you like and don't risk bumping into support columns as you work.
Quote:
... if lot is large enough and Home Owners Association allows it, is to add on a Workshop.
You (or your agent) might find a suitable property in an older subdivision which a) has larger lots than typically seen in newer developments, and b) has no HOA. I live in such, but don't know how common they are.

Don't forget the cost for a driveway and parking area for the shop/garage. That can be a significant cost-adder.

For shop work you might want more windows than used in an ordinary garage. Natural light is a big "plus." Good ventilation is essential when using paints and stains.

Suggestion: build the biggest shop you can afford, and omit the HVAC at least temporarily. It's relatively easy to add insulation and HVAC after the fact. It's difficult and expensive to add "big" after the fact. (So says the voice of experience.)

Old 01-30-2014, 11:50 AM

I guess I would leave out the HVAC initially. Is that something that can be added later?

I did look at your web site (I think its your site) and what I would be interested in is a 1.5 story, the 3 car garage size but without the entire second floor. Maybe a small section for storage and a place to do finish work, but I don't need a complete room upstairs.

I also do not need all the garage doors. Maybe 1 and since I would not need a drive way to it. Only a cement walkway would be needed, so I don't think having the extra 2 garage doors would be worthwhile even for resale value since the houses/lots I have looked at would have no way to run a drive way to the back. Not sure if its a wash on price or if there is much difference between the two. Plus another person here suggested additional windows sicne natural light would be great for woodworking.

Is it less expensive to have a separate structure, or would it be less to add on to an existing 2 car garage? Then I would not require as much space.

I have found a couple places in Cary (Lochmere area) where the attached 2 car garage has open space behind it (flat lot), is a wood/fiber board siding (verses brick), the HOA allows add on's. Perhaps simply adding on to that would be less. In this case if the existing 2 car garage is 22 by 24, I would only need to bump out behind the garage a 1 (maybe 1.5 story) of 24 by 15 or so. Plus most garages have the electrical panel in them, and I would either have to add the 220 and 110' circuits, or at worst put in a larger panel, or small second panel. The benefit here is also for resale the new homeowner could park in the garage but have the additional space for storage or a workshop. Where as myself, I would just park in the driveway, and use the entire space for woodworking.

I also have recently seen a house with a 3 car garage. Its over my price point BUT, I could put more money down to keep the financed amount where I want it, and it may work out that the out of pocket costs are less than adding a new workshop. Its also just outside of South Cary, about 2 miles out. On a large wooded lot, and honestly I wouldn't have to put any money into the house, other than a larger down payment.

Thank you so much for the information this is very helpful.

Ledeen

Old 01-30-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledeen View Post
I guess I would leave out the HVAC initially. Is that something that can be added later?
Yes.

Quote:
I did look at your web site (I think its your site) and what I would be interested in is a 1.5 story, the 3 car garage size but without the entire second floor. Maybe a small section for storage and a place to do finish work, but I don't need a complete room upstairs.
Background: My friend Paul has a Carolina Builders 3-car garage. I chose to build a truly custom garage... I drew the plans, pulled the permits, hired the subcontractors, bought the materials, supervised the job. Therefore I have two views of the subject.

The overhead trusses or joists are a structural part of the building. The added decking for the floor is a minor cost. That second floor is remarkably inexpensive space. You may think you don't need it but after you see it (and understand the low cost) you will want it.

My upstairs room is used for storage. Paul did something imaginative with his: he transformed it into a lovely one-bedroom apartment which is now an income property.
Quote:
I also do not need all the garage doors.
Any builder could substitute a studded wall for a garage door but don't expect to save money. The wall costs about the same as a door when you consider the additional studs, sheathing, and labor.

Quote:
Is it less expensive to have a separate structure, or would it be less to add on to an existing 2 car garage?
Add-on would probably cost less because the new structure has only three walls. However, there is additional labor if you want the existing garage wall to be removed. Depending on the specifics of the existing building, the permit and inspection process could get complicated. Many residents say Cary and Apex building inspectors are notoriously picky. Perfectly honest, they are not looking for bribes, but they will insist that the builder adheres to every detail in the building code regardless of whether it makes any sense.

An add-on simplifies providing electric power to the shop because you won't need to dig a trench, won't need that expensive service cable, won't need a separate load center. Tip: make sure the house you buy has a more-than-adequate electric service since you will be adding a load. A 200 amp service is marginal; 400 amps has the reserve for the shop. (The usual caveats apply: I have not seen the house(s) you are considering, I am not a licensed electrician, etc.)

Old 01-30-2014, 03:00 PM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
An add-on simplifies providing electric power to the shop because you won't need to dig a trench, won't need that expensive service cable, won't need a separate load center. Tip: make sure the house you buy has a more-than-adequate electric service since you will be adding a load. A 200 amp service is marginal; 400 amps has the reserve for the shop. (The usual caveats apply: I have not seen the house(s) you are considering, I am not a licensed electrician, etc.)
Yes, cheaper if you don't have to dig a trench, but the others may not be cheaper or easier. The existing electrical service panel may not have space for all the additional circuits vs putting in one big breaker to feed a subpanel. Running one large cable to a sub-panel is usually easier than running multiple cables. If you have to open a wall to get to the main service panel, you would have to do that again if you later wanted to add additional circuits.

Unless you are doing heavy duty stuff in your garage, a 200-amp panel is probably fine. Going from a typical 200 amp to 400 amp service may require larger cables from the transformer to the house. I assume Duke/Progress charges for this.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The existing electrical service panel may not have space for all the additional circuits ...
In most cases you may replace standard-size circuit breakers with tandem pairs. Example:
Shop Square D Homeline 15-Amp Tandem Circuit Breaker at Lowes.com
Two breakers fit in the same space as had been used by one.

Quote:
Going from a typical 200 amp to 400 amp service may require larger cables from the transformer to the house.
Yes. My previous post was intended to encourage Ledeen (OP) to buy a house with 400 amp service.

Quote:
I assume Duke/Progress charges for this.
I think the utility brings power to a curbside pole. It's up to the builder to run a service cable from the pole to the meter enclosure. Then the utility company installs their meter, along with a tamper-evident seal.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:38 AM

Hi again,

Your right about the size of the electrical. When I had a house In California I upgraded it to a 200 amp service , and ran separate lines to the workshop, it was fine as far as enough amps. Since this is a hobby for one person I am never using 2 pieces of equipment at once.

Just outside of Cary, in Raleigh (27606), some parts are Apex (27539) there are some larger lots where homeowners had either added a separate 2 car garage structure in addition to their 2 car attached, or a separate structure that is built to look similar to the house (siding, roof pitch etc). So those areas may be my best option if I need to add on or add a separate structure

Based on the pricing, adding may be a better option for me. Although I would have the cash to put 30-40K into it for a separate shop. The cash left in the bank wouldn't be what I want. But as many have mentioned every situation may be different for each house and I would most likely need a quote based on the actual property/house I was interested in to know if it would be less.

Looking for my lowest cost option while still allowing me to pursue my hobby. So we will see. I know its going to be hard to find the perfect property since I also have pretty picky wants for the house as well

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary