Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 1,818 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from RI to the area for a job at Duke University Hospital in the beginning of April. I am in my mid 20's and would like a 1 bedroom apartment for around $800/month. I want to live somewhere safe (where I can go for runs) with people my age, close to restaurants/shops and with nice amenities (pool, fitness center, washer/dryer included). I have visited Chapel Hill and love the area, but apartments seem too expensive. I have heard great things about Brier Creek and Cary, but have never been. I am planning to do a quick apartment search soon in the area and would like to narrow down my choices. Can anyone suggest apartments that I should look at? Thanks for the help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 11:18 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Brier Creek is probably a better location than either Chapel Hill or Cary. Chapel Hill is expensive because you are competing with students. The Brier Creek area has several apartment complexes, and you could check the reviews on Google Maps. At about 13 miles, Brier Creek is a lot closet to Duke Hospital than Cary is. There is abundant shopping, and the Umstead State Park is nearby for running. I would be a bit concerned about airport noise at Brier Creek, but the locals can comment better than I can.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:31 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
I second the Brier Creek recommendation. Not only does it meet all your criteria, it also offers a wide enough range of apartment options so that you'll likely find exactly what you want within your price range.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:35 AM

100 posts, read 136,248 times
My wife and I didn't visit Brier Creek, but we just signed a lease for Cary

Cary is safe (ranked high on money magazine for safest areas in US), but I'm starting to think that most of the suburbs in the triangle rank high for safety...

From my research, i would say you should be able to find an apartment based on what you want in Cary, but the flip side to that coin is that it seems Cary is more for people with familys. But I'm probably wrong about that.

Cary did seem like it's a fitness enthusiasts dream with all the walking trails/biking trails, tennis courts and pools that I saw while visiting, so you might be ok with being in your 20s...that's when most people are fit lol...

just run a google search for apartments and their rankings. and go from there

hope you find what you're looking for

Old 02-04-2014, 12:01 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg1989 View Post
I am relocating from RI to the area for a job at Duke University Hospital in the beginning of April. I am in my mid 20's and would like a 1 bedroom apartment for around $800/month. I want to live somewhere safe (where I can go for runs) with people my age, close to restaurants/shops and with nice amenities (pool, fitness center, washer/dryer included). I have visited Chapel Hill and love the area, but apartments seem too expensive. I have heard great things about Brier Creek and Cary, but have never been. I am planning to do a quick apartment search soon in the area and would like to narrow down my choices. Can anyone suggest apartments that I should look at? Thanks for the help!!
Hi Meg, I'm from RI too.....moved here almost 6 years ago. I grew up in Warwick and my husband is from Newport. I also work for Duke. I'd recommend living in the Brier Creek area. Cary is great, but it's much like Barrington on steroids! I am much older than you!! My husband and I loved living in Cary....we just moved closer to Brier Creek about 2 months ago. There's lots of shopping, restaurants with easy access to the highway to get you to downtown Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill.

Durham is another great option, especially around Southpoint Mall. Similar to Brier Creek
DM me if you have any specific questions!!

Old 02-04-2014, 12:08 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Why not look in Durham?

Old 02-04-2014, 12:13 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I'd definitely live in Durham. I'm not sure, but I think Brier Creek as well as Cary are both pretty family-oriented—not singles hotspots.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:39 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
I live in North Raleigh where rents are lower for a decent 1 BR.

Can you possibly work at Duke Raleigh Hospital in North Raleigh? Free parking is a plus there.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:41 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
I thought of Durham, too, especially since you mentioned you were young. There have been tons of new apartments and converted lofts in/near downtown Durham that seem really cool, but I don't know the price range. Just be leery of getting too far east of downtown.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:43 PM

766 posts, read 1,658,504 times
I also want to suggest that you look into Durham. I have only lived on the Southpoint side of Durham, so I can't really speak on areas out off HWY 85 or the Durham Freeway. I lived in Durham most of my 20s and I also also lived in Cary. Working at Duke I would go with Durham and my second choice would be Brier Creek.

Chapel Hill is nice, but most of the nice apartments are really expensive. It really depends on what you are looking for. I lived in Chapel Hill, but the Durham County side and it the prices were a little better. It was an apt complex off HWY 54.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary