Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:59 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times

Advertisements

The N&O reports today that RDU's "new" Terminal 1 will open March 2.

RDU’s renovated Terminal 1 replaces the old blue box | Traffic | NewsObserver.com

Quote:
After an effort that took three years and cost $68 million, the renovated Terminal 1 will provide roomier quarters for its sole airline tenant, Southwest. Airport officials say it also will provide a more relaxed experience for about 2.2 million RDU passengers who fly Southwest and its AirTran subsidiary each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 07:33 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,933,225 times
I drove by the new Terminal 1 late one night last week. I thought about going out to the airport to see the old terminal for the first time. That must have been around 1956. OMG has it all changed!

Old 02-06-2014, 07:59 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
when I last flew through RDU last month, it was certainly looking close to finished and it's a huge improvement from the outside. Hopefully the interior lives up to the exterior!

When my family moved to Raleigh in January of 74, that airport was just a spit of a place. We couldn't believe how tiny it was. The biggest shocker was having to pick up your luggage in the parking lot out front from the truck. I remember being excited to see that (now old) interior baggage claim area built on the north end of the terminal. Now I can't wait to see that get removed. I'm only sentimental about the very core of the original airport and would love to see that one "hall" restored somehow to its former use.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:51 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
when I last flew through RDU last month, it was certainly looking close to finished and it's a huge improvement from the outside. Hopefully the interior lives up to the exterior!

When my family moved to Raleigh in January of 74, that airport was just a spit of a place. We couldn't believe how tiny it was. The biggest shocker was having to pick up your luggage in the parking lot out front from the truck. I remember being excited to see that (now old) interior baggage claim area built on the north end of the terminal. Now I can't wait to see that get removed. I'm only sentimental about the very core of the original airport and would love to see that one "hall" restored somehow to its former use.
That Baggage claim was definitely built before suitcases had wheels on them.

As far as I know, they are going to tear the old part all down.

FYI, they are having an open house Sat Feb 15 from 10-2

Old 02-06-2014, 09:57 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,826,711 times
I'm surprised only Southwest will be there (even if they are taking over Air Tran). Any signs other carriers may come along too?

Old 02-07-2014, 03:58 AM

621 posts, read 982,688 times
Going by the T1 pictures, I hope other carriers can be serviced out of T2. I guess it's not much that $68m procures.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:35 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Is it just me or is it sickening that taxpayers would foot the $68 million bill for just 2 airlines? SWA & jetBlue. The even more sickening aspect with our airport authority is the forced move of another carrier, forcing them to the other terminal raising their rent in the process. The airport authority then also forced them to give up their gates in T1 to a competitor (SWA).

Old 02-07-2014, 06:56 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Is it just me or is it sickening that taxpayers would foot the $68 million bill for just 2 airlines? SWA & jetBlue.
I didn't see any reference to JetBlue in the article. It says Southwest will occupy 5 gates, and four more are available for expansion. (Is $68m/9 a reasonable cost for gates - I have no way to judge.)

Perhaps not unlike the old Terminal C, which I understand was built just for American Airlines?

Old 02-07-2014, 07:00 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I didn't see any reference to JetBlue in the article. It says Southwest will occupy 5 gates, and four more are available for expansion. (Is $68m/9 a reasonable cost for gates - I have no way to judge.)

Perhaps not unlike the old Terminal C, which I understand was built just for American Airlines?
So wait...they also forced jetBlue to move to terminal 2? Holy crap, I didn't realize that. So I wonder how much SWA paid our airport authority to give them sole access to their new terminal, and forced Airways to give them their gates (probably nothing, they seem to get things handed to them left and right). This is sickening.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:23 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Well, since absolutely no tax dollars are used at the airport and it is fully paid by airline landing fees, the outrage might be a bit misplaced. Yes, they do get to issue bonds like a municipality, but that's about it.

JetBlue moved to additional gates in Terminal 2 when they opened in the second phase to make way for this work when they moved Southwest and AirTran (at the time, they were two separate companies) to the old part of the old terminal.

As mentioned, there is room for expansion in Terminal 1. however, they cannot force an airline to all the sudden come here, though they definitely have marketing staff that are trying to convince airlines to run new routes all the time. There is also additional space in Terminal 2 as well as they planed for some expansion when building it.

I guess everyone will really be mad in 15 or 20 so years when the long range plans call for them to build a new terminal 1 and eventually tear down what they just spent $68 million renovating. And no, when it comes to airports, $68 million just does not buy you much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary